Uggggh i am sick, I can't believe it!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Uggggh i am sick, I can't believe it!

Postby frozenveg » Tue May 26, 2015 8:00 am

Back to the getting sick part--I also felt practically invincible after starting this WOE, although I was always the one taking care of others while they had a cold or flu and sailing right past without getting sick. But when we went down to Santa Rosa for the 10-day program, my daughter caught a cold on the way down and was miserable the whole time. Dr. McDougall said, "Hey, germs are germs. Sometimes you get sick."

I have been much healthier on this way of eating than I ever was before, but I have been laid low a few times--most notably this spring. There is a really nasty flu that almost everyone at my work (and my grandkids, son, DH, DD, and DSIL) has gotten, and I got sick twice, as a result of two trips to the Lower 48 (to visit said grandkids, son, DD and DSIL!). However, my recovery has been sooner and more complete than most everybody else.

So don't feel bad that you feel bad! You will soon be better! You are better off following this way of eating than any other way to go!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby MTbucket » Tue May 26, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks for all the replies! the fever came back for a bit and I was too sick to get out of bed yesterday to read them, but doing better today, recovering now, thanks again!
Starch ON!

Michael Thompson
Minneapolis MN
MTbucket

Postby Starchmonger » Wed May 27, 2015 12:09 am

I switched to a whole foods-based vegan diet over two years ago, and anecdotally - I've noticed I get sick a LOT less. Colds, sore throats, flu, constipation etc. have precipitously decreased.

Even a diet as optimal as the low fat starch based diet is not a cure-all. You're still inevitably going to get sick, but your leaner, healthier body will handle it better and bounce back faster. That much I can assure you.

Be healthy,
Starchmonger
Low Fat, Whole Foods vegan
Current Diet - Potatoes, fruits, leafy greens. Current weight ~148lbs down from a lifetime high of 260.

Stop counting calories! Just eat the right foods!
Starchmonger

Postby Lesliec1 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:18 pm

FWIW, I have been feeling run down and flu-ish for a couple days. I started to get concerned until I read a lot of people complain about the same thing on facebook. So I believe it's seasonal for me. I was outside a Lot gardening this past weekend breathing in poison ivy and who knows what else.
Lesliec1

Postby MTbucket » Fri May 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Update time, well, I am well enough to sit at my desk again after 5 long days, yesterday was the worst, I was so weak and having dizzy spells, I also felt dehydrated even though I gagged down a gallon of water that night! I don't call a Dr. unless I am getting scared, and I was. good thing I did too! it was hard to even make it there, would have called a taxi had i known how serious of condition I was in! I was all pale and sickly, could hardly keep my head up, felt like I could faint and die :( My blood pressure was 89 over 50! :eek: also quite dehydrated! It was decided I needed to get on an IV. not what I was hoping to hear, but I was desperate! well it worked wonders, I got my color back and felt a little better. Today was the first day I stayed out of bed all day. I didn't do much, watched TV and cooked up some rice, but its a start! I go back for a checkup Monday, now that I am finally starting to feel better i am hoping it was really just a bad flu virus and the worst is behind me now!
Starch ON!

Michael Thompson
Minneapolis MN
MTbucket

Postby patty » Fri May 29, 2015 10:52 pm

it sounds like the flu. So happy you made it to the doctor. And are back posting to let us know how your doing.

Wishing you the best health, patty
patty

Postby frozenveg » Sat May 30, 2015 9:46 am

I'm glad you are on your way to feeling better. Yep, sometimes we need a doctor--who'd have thought it? Just keep resting and you will be strong again soon! I will remember your experience if I ever get felled by the flu again like I did earlier this spring--the warnings that us "older" folks need to be more careful about it may have some validity!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby MTbucket » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 pm

UPDATE!
After a long month of improvements and setbacks and not recovering like i should have, I went to another Dr. and found out I did not have the Flu after all! I tested positive for two infections from a tick bite! Lyme and Annaplasmosis :eek: I just finished treatment with antibiotics, and I am finally really feeling back to normal, other than a little gas from the side effects, that should go away soon. thanks for all the posts here everyone!
Starch ON!

Michael Thompson
Minneapolis MN
MTbucket

Postby dteresa » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:50 am

Wow, that was a shocker. Glad you found the cause of your illness and are recovering. Your experience did scare the heck out of me. I'm buying a can of bug spray and wrapping myself entirely in plastic. Even kakadu plums and camu camu couldn't have saved you from that one. Great doctor to correctly find the real cause of your illness.

didi
dteresa

Postby andy13 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:53 am

Glad you found out that you had Lyme and got treated. I am also from Minnesota and flu like symptoms in the summer months are definitely a possible red flag for Lyme disease. My wife recently tested positive for Lyme and is taking antibiotics. Glad you are feeling better!
andy13

Postby MTbucket » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:16 am

Thanks! I wasn't all that shocked, I am a wildlife photographer and am in the woods with the ticks all the time. I even mentioned it to my first Dr. who kind of blew it off. never going there again! Now I wear clothes treated with permethrin, it works great, no more ticks! An added bonus is it also keeps skeeters and other pests away too!
Starch ON!

Michael Thompson
Minneapolis MN
MTbucket

Postby frozenveg » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:44 am

Wow--yeah, Lyme is a real problem--hard to believe your first doctor didn't even care to investigate that possibility. They get so stuck in their ways, they sometimes can't see what's right before their eyes.

My husband got Lyme from a tick decades ago, and it really knocked him for a loop for a while. Glad you are feeling better!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby awest27 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:43 am

Every time I come home after being out in public, the first thing I do is wash my hands. Also refrain from touching your face while you are out in public.
awest27

Previous

Return to The Lounge