Two oldest known people, age 116 and 117

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Two oldest known people, age 116 and 117

Postby MikeInFL » Sun May 24, 2015 10:00 am

Both claim to be the worlds oldest:

"Jeralean Talley, turned 116 today in Inkster, Michigan... So what is Talley's secret to a very long and healthy life? Last month she told WXYZ-TV she drinks coffee every day with sugar and no cream."

https://gma.yahoo.com/worlds-oldest-person-celebrates-116th-birthday-michigan-183823410--abc-news-wellness.html

So coffee- a powerful anti-oxident, and no dairy! A little sugar seemed ok for her.

also,

"Misao Okawa, who turned 117 today...Asked for the secret to her long life, Okawa teased, "I wonder about that too." She's previously said the key is eating sushi and getting enough sleep...The 117-year-old eats three large meals a day and makes sure she sleeps eight hours a night.. her favorite meal is sushi, particularly mackerel on vinegar-steamed rice."
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/worlds-oldest-person-turns-117-reveals-secret-long/story?id=29409111

Doesn't say what type of rice with that mackerel. White or whole? Nor does it say what portion is the fish to rice. Mostly fish or mostly rice? Sure would like to know.
MikeInFL

Re: Two oldest known people, age 116 and 117

Postby f1jim » Sun May 24, 2015 11:57 am

My uncle died at 87, a lifelong pipe smoker. I never ask which tobacco he used thinking it might be the key to his longevity. The important thing is if we take lot's of centenarians and analyze what they ate most of their life then we might be on to something. I also wouldn't take a vegan that dies of cancer and ask what vegetables they ate and assume they caused cancer. Unfortunately, things are a bit more complicated than that. Show me long lived populations, the more I can look at the better, What are the common traits. Now I will pay attention to those specifics.
The first example probably ate no sushi. The second may never have had coffee. We are amazingly similar yet amazingly different
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby vgpedlr » Sun May 24, 2015 1:57 pm

I don't think looking at individuals gives any useful information about longevity. At that level it is much more due to genetics. I'm especially doubtful about self reported theories. Coffee? One of the world's most popular beverages, doesn't seem like much impact on longevity. Sushi most likely made from white rice and mackerel? Just because its her favorite dish doesn't make it the most important factor. That's why I like large population studies like the Blue Zones. Those paint a much better picture. Japan has a Blue Zone in Okinawa. Michigan? Not so much.
vgpedlr

Postby dailycarbs » Sun May 24, 2015 2:39 pm

vgpedlr wrote:I don't think looking at individuals gives any useful information about longevity. At that level it is much more due to genetics. I'm especially doubtful about self reported theories. Coffee? One of the world's most popular beverages, doesn't seem like much impact on longevity. Sushi most likely made from white rice and mackerel? Just because its her favorite dish doesn't make it the most important factor. That's why I like large population studies like the Blue Zones. Those paint a much better picture. Japan has a Blue Zone in Okinawa. Michigan? Not so much.

Making too much sense. Be gone! We banish you from the forums! :D

Also, Jeff's latest tweet:

Want Great Longevity and Health? It Takes a Village - WSJ
http://www.wsj.com/articles/want-great- ... 1432304395
Based on the work we did in Sardinia and four other blue zones, a team of researchers at the University of Minnesota helped us to reverse-engineer a diet of the world’s healthiest populations. We gathered 155 dietary surveys from all five areas, covering the eating habits of the past century, and came up with a global average.

More than 65% of what people in the blue zones ate came from complex carbohydrates: sweet potatoes in Okinawa, Japan; wild greens in Ikaria, Greece; squash and corn in Costa Rica’s Nicoya Peninsula. Their diet consists mainly of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans and other carbohydrates. They eat meat but only small amounts, about five times a month, usually on celebratory occasions.
dailycarbs

Postby healthyvegan » Sun May 24, 2015 2:55 pm

next week the WSJ will have an article talking about putting beef blood in your coffee for an extra heart healthy boost.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby dailycarbs » Sun May 24, 2015 3:17 pm

healthyvegan wrote:next week the WSJ will have an article talking about putting beef blood in your coffee for an extra heart healthy boost.

Yeah, probably true but I won't see it because I got this off Jeff's Twitter feed. ;)
dailycarbs

Postby arugula » Sun May 24, 2015 3:34 pm

i asked my cousin who lives in greece, about what makes ikaria so different from the islands that are close to it.

she says they are really, really poor and their way of life is very simple, relaxed and slow. nobody sets an alarm clock and everyone knows everyone.

if you go to the bakery and nobody is there, you just take what you want and leave money on the counter.

also they cultivate their own food and they have to work at it, going up and down hills everyday, even into old age.
arugula

Postby ETeSelle » Sun May 24, 2015 3:45 pm

My grandmother lived to be 95, in VERY good health right until the end. She was too old to be a junk food eater (it didn't exist when she was developing her eating habits), and she ate what SAD eaters would consider a "healthy" diet. She ate a lot of veggies and fruit, but also some meat every day, eggs every day, cheese on things, etc. Do I think that her experience means that I, who take after her, should eat as she did if I want to live a long time? Of course not. I think it means that if I eat better than she did (ie, this plan), perhaps I'll make it to 100 or 105 in equally good shape. Or, more realistically, since I am fighting far more environmental toxins than she had to, perhaps I'm make it to 95 as well. That seems great to me, if in good condition. My Nonniedid as well as she did through a combination of good genes, luck, and a diet that was at least less bad than that of most people today.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby petero » Sun May 24, 2015 9:03 pm

I'm planning to be the first person to live to 120 because of the alcohol. So far so good.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby vgpedlr » Sun May 24, 2015 9:36 pm

petero wrote:I'm planning to be the first person to live to 120 because of the alcohol. So far so good.

ROCK ON!
vgpedlr

Postby BlueGene » Sun May 24, 2015 10:11 pm

petero wrote:I'm planning to be the first person to live to 120 because of the alcohol. So far so good.

Someone has already beaten you to it. You could always aim for 123, though. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment
BlueGene

Postby healthyvegan » Mon May 25, 2015 3:44 am

Healthy at 200 for me :)
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby lmggallagher » Mon May 25, 2015 2:37 pm

I just saw what Dr. McD reports in many of his books and lectures: I was on the Island of Kauai, Hawaii at a 90th birthday party and possibly saw what several generations of a Japanese-American family (or families) eats. Dr. McD's light bulb on nutrition and health went on when he was a plantation doctor in Hawaii and he noticed that in each successive generation of the Japanese families he treated - health was declining. Though I don't know if all the folks of Japanese origin at that party were related - you could pick out the generations and see what folks were selecting through the pot luck line or had on their plates.

I was across the line from the intrepid 90 year old and she took: green salad, veggie dishes, a rice salad, fruit and a couple of Mochi (Japanese desert made of rice). When it was time for the typical frosted cake she had the smallest piece they could cut. After this lunch the band played lots of ballads for dancing - as this perky lady is quite the dancer. Several men cut in so each have a dance with her and she danced happily for about an hour.

When asked about the secret of her longevity she said "faith and acupuncture" I imagine her food choices fit in there too :) I should note that for the past thirty years she has run the thriving thrift store at her church. This is no small business I was there the day before and she and 4 other volunteers were busy with customers and stocking the many shelves and racks. It's not light work for sure.

Back at the party - the next generation of Japanese down - those about my age (60ish) looked pretty spry too - but after that the younger folks looked well, pleasingly plump and were big into the cheese and meat casseroles and sugary things. This is what Dr. McD saw and he had their health information too.

So, my interest in what folks were eating at the party was hardly conclusive - like Dr. McD's or even more so Colin Campbell's "China Study" both populations studies over time, but it sure made me think this is a fine representation of why I wasn't diving into all the cheese topped casseroles and cake!

May we all live long and thrive - one good food (and exercise) choice at a time :)
lmggallagher

Postby petero » Mon May 25, 2015 2:54 pm

BlueGene wrote:Someone has already beaten you to it. You could always aim for 123, though. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeanne_Calment

Darn, thanks for the heads up. I'll just have to try harder I guess! Not moonshine hard, but maybe Steel Reserve hard*. Everything in moderation, even moderation. :)

* There are a lot of low-calorie beers, but finally I realized that the best way to minimize beer calories isn't with a low-calorie beer, it's with a beer that's "calorie efficient" (low calorie::alcohol ratio). Good beer doesn't always sink to the bottom of the list then. :)
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby petero » Mon May 25, 2015 3:03 pm

lmggallagher wrote:I should note that for the past thirty years she has run the thriving thrift store at her church. This is no small business I was there the day before and she and 4 other volunteers were busy with customers and stocking the many shelves and racks. It's not light work for sure.

I wonder if anybody has conducted a study or survey about people who are doing work they think is meaningful or good for others, and its effect on longevity.
petero

Next

Return to The Lounge