Blood test results of a 'ketogenic' disciple

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood test results of a 'ketogenic' disciple

Postby FakeCanadian » Fri May 22, 2015 11:20 pm

I guess I'm one of those weird people who can't take his eyes away from a slow-motion train wreck because I visit Jimmy Moore's FB page occasionally, partly to see if the guy is still alive. He posted blood test results recently.

In a nutshell, his blood test results are absolutely shocking. I'm a layperson, but appears to me he's diabetic, anemic, suffering liver and/or kidney disease, sports an LDL = 194 (down from 380 eighteen months ago!), and has many other problems since a big majority of his test results are outside of 'normal' range. I can't imagine why his Dr. doesn't insist Moore immediately check into a hospital. And with no hint of irony Jimmy posts his 3-day diet adjacent to the test results. Over three days, among other things he ate 6 sausage patties, a stick of butter, a cup+ of cheese, 6+ eggs, unspecified quantities of heavy cream with every meal, steak, and bacon (i.e., what Jimmy likes to refer to as "real food"). Moore--and I suppose the 31,000 people who have 'liked' his FB page--evidently see no connection between this food and these results. I think this is the most severe case of individual and mass denial I have heard of. Someone or a bunch of someones Moores cares about need to do an intervention with this guy or he's going to come to a bad end, soon I fear. I really do feel sorry for him…

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/potpourri-of-health-tests-on-jimmy-moore-in-may-2015/24818
FakeCanadian

Re: Blood test results of a 'ketogenic' disciple

Postby colonyofcells » Sat May 23, 2015 12:02 am

Maybe Jimmy will be healthier if he actually went out to do some physical work like hunting fat seals.
http://proof.nationalgeographic.com/201 ... bout-meat/
colonyofcells

Postby healthyvegan » Sat May 23, 2015 12:27 am

OMG, thank you for posting that, what a train wreck... I feel so bad for the guy & unfortunately know so many just like him who can't put two and two together until they are six feet in the ground.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby olindaspider » Sat May 23, 2015 12:48 am

Second that OMG! His 3 day menu log is unbelievable. Even with all those animal based foods, plus nightly "Quest protein chips", his "Protein, total" is still flagged as Low.
olindaspider

Postby vman » Sat May 23, 2015 1:35 am

Quite incredible. What's really sad is how many people he's taking down with him.
vman

Postby Risto » Sat May 23, 2015 4:21 am

Does he mention his current weight? He was at 275 pounds on November 5th.
Risto

Postby dailycarbs » Sat May 23, 2015 10:54 am

Risto wrote:Does he mention his current weight? He was at 275 pounds on November 5th.

From what I've been able to gather (I only have a mild, "can't take my eyes off the car wreck" fascination with him and his followers), he now deflects all weight issues by saying he's healthy. I don't know what metrics he's using for health. He has thousands of followers ready to attack anyone questioning the assertion.

Some people are closed books and he's one such person. No matter what happens to his health, I think he will pursue some version of this diet until the bitter end.
dailycarbs

Postby arugula » Sat May 23, 2015 12:58 pm

They are saying he is "healthy" because that's compared to his past. He used to weigh 400. My guess is that his message appeals to the superobese who are unable to adhere to fat-restricted diets. He tells them what they want to hear. That will always be more popular than the truth.

I was just reading about the sordid personal behaviors of Dr. Walter Kempner, the Rice Diet guy. One of the reasons why he was so effective is that he was very intimidating and literally whipped some of his patients into submission. With a riding crop!

That's not allowed these days. It's easier to cut them open and remove a large part of their GI tract, I guess.
arugula

Postby f1jim » Sat May 23, 2015 1:44 pm

"That's not allowed these days. It's easier to cut them open and remove a large part of their GI tract, I guess."

I love the sarcasm....Get's me in trouble some times but I still love it. Keep it up.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Risto » Sat May 23, 2015 1:47 pm

arugula wrote:They are saying he is "healthy" because that's compared to his past. He used to weigh 400. My guess is that his message appeals to the superobese who are unable to adhere to fat-restricted diets.

Well, he has apparently weighed at least 40 pounds less than 275 at some point, an yo-yo'd up and down several times. That November 5th blog post was discussed here before, and I calculated that his BMI was 34.6 at the time, putting him in the obese or severely obese category. As you say, the argument for low-carb is supposed to be that it's easier to adhere to than low-fat. The trouble is that Moore seems to be a walking proof of the opposite.
Risto

Postby dteresa » Mon May 25, 2015 9:52 pm

This has all got me to wondering exactly how predictive certain tests are when it comes to heart and artery disease. Mr. Moore apparently could not obtain permanent weight loss on his Atkins diet and at one point said he was eating too much protein which turned into sugar. And that is why he gained all that weight. It was not the fat in his diet but the sugar from protein metabolism. Thus, he supposedly decreased his protein and increased fat in his diet. So far the decrease in his protein derived sugar hasn't seemed to shift his weight. His lipid levels are horrendous but he claims good health because his crp and homocystine levels are quite low.

I was reading about large amounts of choline in the diet which can drive down homocystine and c reactive protein. Eating lots of eggs and meat (I think he claimed to eat more than six eggs at a meal) provides lots of choline and also methionine and this is possibly the reason those two values are low. Despite his reported low numbers of these substances I doubt very much that this will protect him from heart and artery disease. But who knows. Some people on horrendous diets often live to a ripe old age and I think it is despite their woe not because of it. While choline can drive down crp and homocystine levels it also is involved in the production of tmao which is harmful to the heart.

He also says he has a very low calcium score which makes him confident that he is healthy and free of artery disease.

So one wonders if anyone can say with confidence that he or she is heart healthy on the basis of numbers on a test.

didi
dteresa

Postby dailycarbs » Tue May 26, 2015 12:46 am

dteresa wrote:Some people on horrendous diets often live to a ripe old age and I think it is despite their woe not because of it.

Obese and morbidly obese people rarely live to a ripe old age regardless of diet.
dailycarbs

Postby Spiral » Tue May 26, 2015 4:03 am

dteresa wrote:So one wonders if anyone can say with confidence that he or she is heart healthy on the basis of numbers on a test.

He's eating all of those eggs and other foods that I consider to be artery-clogging and it appears that he has not yet suffered a heart attack.

I think I have known people who have consumed diets somewhat healthier than his who have suffered heart attacks, although most were older than Jimmy Moore when they had their MI.

So, I have to give him credit for being extremely lucky (so far).

ADDED:

I see that on Jimmy Moore's web page, he has advertisements for a book titled Keto Clarity and another titled Cholesterol Clarity. Both are authored by Jimmy Moore and Eric Westman. Makes you wonder if Eric Westman has any comment on Jimmy Moore's recent blood work and lab results.

One more thing. I am sure I am not the only one in this situation. I have relatives who consume lots of eggs fried in bacon grease for breakfast and grass fed beef for dinner. I don't have access to the blood work of my relatives. Maybe Jimmy Moore's lab results might be similar to those of my relatives. On the other hand, my relatives are not overweight and certainly not obese.

Still, it amazes me how people are able to abuse their bodies and their bodies keep holding on.

Oh no. Now I'm hooked. Right now I am over at Mark's Daily Apple reading a post about raw milk.
Spiral

Postby McBean » Tue May 26, 2015 10:04 am

Moore makes good cash as a minor low carb celebrity. He stands to lose all cred and livelyhood if low carb fads die. Followers are mostly newbies. The cognitive dissonance is as huge as with the Duggars.
McBean

Postby dteresa » Tue May 26, 2015 10:37 am

I don't get the reference to the Duggars.

didi
dteresa

Next

Return to The Lounge