Great story on heart disease reversal

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Great story on heart disease reversal

Postby pundit999 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:32 pm

We see such stories on this forum often.

For heart disease (and many other ailments), this way of eating is the only sane way.

In this lady's case, she was lucky to have a primary care doctor who supported this way of eating:

Again, as many of us could, we reconvened in Sudbury while she underwent her procedure: angioplasty with a stent to repair the damage. My sister shared that while in care at Health Sciences North, the practitioners there told her they expected to see her in six months to a year with another heart attack. She felt doomed, no hope and wondering if the health care providers give such terrible outcomes with no comfort or words of encouragement to all the patients. Initially, this made her give up and didn’t see point in trying to better her health or quit smoking because they reiterated that even if she changed she was going to have another heart attack anyway. This made her very angry but it was the catalyst, although bleak and terrible, that set her in motion to prove them wrong.

Irene remained at home for three weeks to recover. She was left to ponder her fate of potentially having another heart attack sometime later that year. Once given the okay at the discretion of her family doctor she returned to work after four weeks. It was there that she learned of a book ‘How To Prevent and Reverse Heart Attack’ by Dr. Esselstyn given to her by her boss at the time, Peggy Young. The idea was to go totally fat free vegan which means: no meat, no fish, no dairy, no eggs, no oils of any kind not even olive oil, nothing enriched—so no white breads, rice, no avocados as they are very high in fat. So what does she eat now? Irene’s rule now is she consumes nothing with a face or mother. Her diet consists of beans and lentils, whole grains, fruits (but minimal as they are high in sugar), vegetables (lots of them), uses only raw cane sugar but minimal, she doesn’t drink juices like apple or orange as they too are high in sugar. She’s also had to supplement with vitamin B12 and Iron and she gets her Omega 3s from ground Flax. She occasionally drinks black coffee but minimal as well.

After only three months of the vegan diet she lost over 50 pounds of weight and was off three of her blood pressure medications and two medications for her heart was taken away! She also remained smoke-free. It’s now at the five year mark and just a few months ago she was taken off all her medications and only takes daily low dose aspirin. What a true testament to perseverance and overcoming a near impossible feat. She sure showed her doctors that no way was she having another heart attack. Irene cautions that anyone going vegan does take planning as you need to get bloodwork done and to take your weight and measurements. You also have to consume a lot of water.

http://www.manitoulin.ca/2015/05/20/one-anishinabe-kwes-inspiring-diabetes-battle/
pundit999

Re: Great story on heart disease reversal

Postby eshqua » Fri May 22, 2015 6:24 am

Never tire of reading success stories - especially when a patient teaches a doctor a thing or 2!! Thanks for posting!
eshqua

Postby Melinda » Fri May 22, 2015 10:27 am

Wonderful story! :-D
Melinda

Postby VegMommy » Fri May 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Thank you for posting that! A lovely, calm feeling washes over me whenever I read a story like that. I save all those testimonies in a separate bookmark folder, and re-read one or two every now and then. I think of them as a sort of vitamin pill or good-feeling supplement, lol.
VegMommy

Postby f1jim » Sat May 23, 2015 10:37 am

VegMommy, that's exactly the reason I read them, too. It's tremendous reinforcement of this way of eating that humanizes the data from our nutritional leaders. When studies show a percentage benefit to eating this way it doesn't show the quality of life benefits that the human stories do.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to The Lounge