Atkins Version 2.0!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Atkins Version 2.0!

Postby Miked74 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:39 am

These kind of things have to stop! :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ
Miked74

Re: Atkins Version 2.0!

Postby Miked74 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:32 am

It makes me sad that people like Sarah Hallberg are putting people in harms way!
Miked74

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 21, 2015 11:37 am

Put her on ignore. You can't stop people from talking or listening. Frankly, I'm surprised that she would attract any followers with that scripted talking points bulldozer style delivery. I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds.
dailycarbs

Postby John McDougall » Thu May 21, 2015 12:43 pm

Sarah Hallberg, MD looks a little overweight and unfit to me.

Did I mention that this has been a communication problem for low-carb liars in the past?
Watch this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zVxA6yipv4

Too bad she ignores the basic science.

My thoughts on diabetes:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl ... abetes.htm
http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... abetes.htm

And a video:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... -diabetes/

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby VegMommy » Thu May 21, 2015 12:57 pm

John McDougall wrote:Sarah Hallberg, MD looks a little overweight and unfit to me.

Did I mention that this has been a communication problem for low-carb liars in the past?

This makes me very, very sad. Disregard what she has to say because she "looks a little overweight"?

"Low-carb liars"...really? Do you think she's lying? To what end? Is she getting rich from making her patients sicker?

And that video. It's just disgraceful and brings down the level of discourse. I'm actually ashamed to be associated with it (having publicly embraced the McDougall diet) in any way.
Last edited by VegMommy on Thu May 21, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VegMommy

Postby Miked74 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:25 pm

Thanks Doc! That video just made my day! :lol:

dailycarbs wrote:Put her on ignore. You can't stop people from talking or listening. Frankly, I'm surprised that she would attract any followers with that scripted talking points bulldozer style delivery. I couldn't get past the first 30 seconds.

I definitely Ignore people like that! Regardless of the science behind it all, this way of eating feels right to me! Almost like natural instincts.
Miked74

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 pm

VegMommy wrote:
John McDougall wrote:Sarah Hallberg, MD looks a little overweight and unfit to me.

This makes me very, very sad. Disregard what she has to say because she "looks a little overweight"?

"Low-carb liars"...really? Do you think she's lying? To what end? Is she getting rich from making her patients sicker?

And that video. It's just disgraceful and brings down the level of discourse. I'm actually ashamed to be associated with it (having publicly embraced the McDougall diet) in any way.

Clearly, you disagree with the good doctor's approach. Others, myself included, do not. I personally find nothing wrong with criticizing people who are thought leaders and proponents of diets, lifestyle and body image and who they themselves are not good representatives of health. It's not like I'm walking around the supermarket pointing at people and telling them them they're overweight. If you're going to be a public figure in the health/diet field, the proof should be in the pudding. Loren Cordain, fat! Gary Taubes, fat! Jimmy Moore, fat! I give Sisson kudos. I suspect that he eats more salads than steak though.
dailycarbs

Postby VegMommy » Thu May 21, 2015 2:16 pm

dailycarbs wrote:It's not like I'm walking around the supermarket pointing at people and telling them them they're overweight.

No, you save that for internet forums. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48111

dailycarbs wrote:I give Sisson kudos.

So you don't have a problem with paleo dieting, just fat people?
VegMommy

Postby Miked74 » Thu May 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Personally I don't think she is that over weight! And who is even to say that she even follows this type of eating that she is promoting! Besides The point I believe that the Doc was trying to make was pretty clear.
Miked74

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 21, 2015 3:01 pm

VegMommy wrote:
No, you save that for internet forums. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=48111

"Your goody-goody people are the thieves of virtue." —Confucius

VegMommy wrote:
dailycarbs wrote:I give Sisson kudos.

So you don't have a problem with paleo dieting, just fat people?

It was a joke. :duh:
dailycarbs

Postby miranda2060 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:22 pm

VegMommy wrote:

Having a hard time following this post; pushing back against Dr. McD, then underlining his refutation of the video ---?
miranda2060

Postby Melinda » Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 pm

dailycarbs wrote:
VegMommy wrote:

Clearly, you disagree with the good doctor's approach. Others, myself included, do not. I personally find nothing wrong with criticizing people who are thought leaders and proponents of diets, lifestyle and body image and who they themselves are not good representatives of health. It's not like I'm walking around the supermarket pointing at people and telling them them they're overweight. If you're going to be a public figure in the health/diet field, the proof should be in the pudding. Loren Cordain, fat! Gary Taubes, fat! Jimmy Moore, fat! I give Sisson kudos. I suspect that he eats more salads than steak though.

I agree. I would not follow Dr. McDougall's recommendations or any of the other plant based doctors if they didn't portray excellent health themselves. Might as well just drown yourselves in junk food otherwise! :-D It seems to me that lately on this board, we aren't allowed to mention the words "overweight" or "fat" without being chastised.
Melinda

Postby Skip » Thu May 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Any diet(or lack of food, like fasting) that can lower your weight should be able to help in curing insulin resistance in the short term. The issue is which diet will be the best for your long term health years down the road.

It's hard to argue with the epidemiology of successful populations that have lived on a high carbohydrate diet (this is the years down the road look). Of course, the low carb advocates conveniently disregard all epidemiological studies because they claim that they only show correlation and not causation. Has there ever been a population of people who have lived long healthy lives on a low carb diet?

Why do the low carb people disregard the studies of Esselstyn and Ornish? I don't remember their argument....oh, wait, umm, yes the studies don't include enough people and the studies don't completely control all the variables besides diet like exercise and meditation.

I don't think it will ever be accepted by the majority of people that a starch based diet is the best long term solution. There are just to many forces going against it, unfortunately....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby arugula » Thu May 21, 2015 11:17 pm

My thoughts on this matter align with \what Dr. McDougall said. I am not allowed to make comments on that woman's appearance. Suffice it to say that I prefer my own body type, which would not be possible to maintain on the diet that she proposes.
arugula

Postby patty » Fri May 22, 2015 6:54 am

VegMommy wrote:

I feel what I experienced in watching the first video is primitive detachment.

Dr. McDougall shares on 2nd video about diabetes. He shares the learning curve to a low carb diet isn't as steep and is the cause of diabetes.

Somewhere in the game of personal health, Dr. McDougall has to say "I am You." What holds a person back is justified anger. It is all water washing over water. We all live in a apparent reality, where contracted energy rises and falls. Free will is a fallacy of contracted energy appearing and disappearing, the sky falls and the sun rises. There is no permanent visa for reflections or projections, no matter how fat or thin a person looks. And that is a good thing:) because we would never know we are the Light behind the projector. Some people stay sick to teach us how to get well as some get well to teach us, it is only the ego that thinks it can help someone or harm someone. Everything is a echo of self. The world is inside of us. It is the sickest that gets it first:) because they have lost everything:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Next

Return to The Lounge