Frozen french fries ok?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Frozen french fries ok?

Postby srosenbaum » Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 am

I was at a communal BBQ where they had trays of french fries. The fries were from a frozen bag and were just the basic, plain fries. The fries were cooked in the oven in a large pan. Could i eat them on this plan? My understanding is that the potatoes in the bag are raw, but i am unsure if they have any additives.

Considering that they were bakes, is it safe to assume that the fries themselves are McD compliant?

If not, what kind of additives have you seen in these that are not ok?
srosenbaum

Re: Frozen french fries ok?

Postby sharonbikes » Wed May 20, 2015 12:06 pm

You really need to read the label and see. Often, those frozen fries are fried before they are frozen so they are full of oil, even if they are baked when out of the bag. So, my guess is that they are not on plan. But, impossible to say for sure without reading the label.
sharonbikes

Postby dailycarbs » Wed May 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Almost all those have oil, I think. They did back in the day I used to eat them-pre-McDougall. If you can't check the label, assume they're not ok.
dailycarbs

Postby Jumpstart » Wed May 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Ore Ida frozen fries vary between 3 and 8 grams of fat per serving. The serving size is small as is most stuff labeled today to make them look good. That would mean you're eating a lot of oil..
Jumpstart

Postby f1jim » Wed May 20, 2015 3:19 pm

I see hashbrowns without oil but never fries. As was mentioned, the serving size is not a Jim Brown size so the oil I would be getting is probably 3 or 4 times what the package says.
If oil is used in preparing them you are getting a double whammy.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Jack Monzon » Wed May 20, 2015 3:33 pm

I've seen no-oil frozen fries at my local Albertson's, but potatoes are just so easy to cut up (and cheaper), so I've never bought them.
Jack Monzon

Postby healthyvegan » Wed May 20, 2015 4:05 pm

I have not seen a no-oil brand ever. Please let me know what you are seeing at Albertsons!

This is the closest thing I have ever seen. http://www.alexiafoods.com/products/ove ... -fries#Top

I would not eat frozen fries from anywhere so far.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby vgpedlr » Wed May 20, 2015 5:03 pm

Jack Monzon wrote:I've seen no-oil frozen fries at my local Albertson's, but potatoes are just so easy to cut up (and cheaper), so I've never bought them.

Please show us! I have never seen frozen fries without oil, though I have seen other potato products with no oil.
vgpedlr

Postby Jack Monzon » Wed May 20, 2015 5:13 pm

I'll look the next time I'm there. Hopefully I'm not mis-remembering hash browns as fries.
Jack Monzon

Postby olindaspider » Wed May 20, 2015 9:23 pm

healthyvegan wrote:This is the closest thing I have ever seen. http://www.alexiafoods.com/products/ove ... -fries#Top

This is strange. The Nutritional & Ingredient Info popup on the above link says there are 10mg of cholesterol per serving, yet all the ingredients are plant based. Any guesses where the cholesterol is coming from?
olindaspider

Postby healthyvegan » Wed May 20, 2015 11:10 pm

I think that is a typo on their website. the other fries & tri cut potatoes don't have it
healthyvegan

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Thu May 21, 2015 9:08 am

I have read Dr. MdD's "12 Days" book a number of times, and he recommends the no-added-fat frozen hash browns, but I have never seen fries with no oil added. Don't I wish! I do use the hash browns frequently. They are quick and convenient.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby healthyvegan » Thu May 21, 2015 10:47 am

I live on Cascadian Farms frozen hash browns! They are the best.
healthyvegan

Return to The Lounge