Fruit After Meals

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fruit After Meals

Postby Floriana » Wed May 20, 2015 7:19 am

Is it ok to eat fruit immediately after a meal?
Floriana

Re: Fruit After Meals

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed May 20, 2015 7:38 am

Floriana wrote:Is it ok to eat fruit immediately after a meal?

I think this question comes from an article like this: http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4970/The-Major-Rule-for-Eating-Fruit.html

The theory being that if you eat fruit after a heavy meal, then it will take too long to digest, will ferment, and cause gas and bloating.
I have not experienced this and enjoy a little fruit as a dessert. If you eat a starch-based diet it should not be a problem, since starch digests readily, as opposed to steak, butter, etc.

Dr. McDougall recommends fruit in smaller quantities such as 2-3 servings a day: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/steps-to-recovery/fruits-vegetables/

For people with digestive problems, the timing may be more important.
StarchHEFP

Postby Floriana » Wed May 20, 2015 8:06 am

Thank you for your reply and the links!

Does the fermentation take place specifically with animal products? What are other digestive problems that may invite someone to consume fruit away from meals?

P.S. My question comes from an Italian notion that fruit should be consumed away from meals :)
Floriana

Postby MINNIE » Wed May 20, 2015 8:29 am

I have no expertise on this, but just wanted to comment that I sometimes eat fruit before meals, or after meals, and as a snack between meals.

It seems to make no difference when I eat it, except that fruit eaten right before a meal lowers my appetite a bit.

Not a bad thing, usually:).
MINNIE

Postby StarchHEFP » Wed May 20, 2015 10:14 am

Floriana wrote:Thank you for your reply and the links!

Does the fermentation take place specifically with animal products? What are other digestive problems that may invite someone to consume fruit away from meals?

P.S. My question comes from an Italian notion that fruit should be consumed away from meals :)

I would assume it's the digestive system being clogged up with non-fibrous, fatty, and proteinaceous foods that is the problem, usually these are animal origin such as cheese, meat, egg, etc. Other digestive problems may be IBS in which people have specific intolerances to certain sugars. However, with a whole food, plant based diet, the digestive bacteria increase that help digest fruits, veggies, etc. so any GI intolerance from switching to a WFPB diet are probably reduced over time.

Research shows consuming fruit before a meal can reduce your caloric intake:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2664987/
StarchHEFP

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Wed May 20, 2015 12:24 pm

My stepmother is on a "food combining" program where she is not allowed to eat fruit with any other food - it has to be consumed a certain number of hours before or after another meal. She also cannot eat meat with a starch, but she can eat vegetables with meat, or vegetables with starch. The author of the diet is Sherry Brescia. Stepmom swears she feels well on this plan and that it cured her of stomach pains. Other than the fact that the diet includes meat, I have read the diet and it seems pretty harmless - nothing is forbidden and it is not a starvation diet. And stepmom is lean and trim. Still, I think the "science" behind it is murky.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby dailycarbs » Wed May 20, 2015 4:26 pm

My theory is that fruit is good any time. I usually eat it after every meal, for snacks on the go, and sometimes with a starch instead of the usual veggie (a bowl of Lundberg Wild Blend rice with a sliced banana on it is great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert!). Sometimes I'll even make a quick meal out of a bunch of hand fruit. In the Mediterranean region, people eat fruit for dessert—and in many other regions of the world as well, I'm sure. Most people crave something something sweet after a meal and denying them fruit is likely to lead to rich, processed desserts. Yes, if you eat high fat for a meal and lots of it, you may have trouble handling fruit right after. Solution: Get rid of the fat, keep the fruit.

People give their digestive systems too little credit. You don't need to flush it clean with enemas or treat it with kid gloves. Eat this woe and let the bacteria do its thing. Millions of years have brought us the best digestive systems evolution and buy.
dailycarbs

Postby healthyvegan » Wed May 20, 2015 4:29 pm

give it a try, if you experience any issues, then there is your answer :) I find fruit helps stop hunger & helps digestion, kind of like the purpose of dessert coming at the end of the meal because sweets will spoil your appetite sometimes!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Floriana » Thu May 21, 2015 3:19 am

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and replies! This is a truly a wonderful tool.

Here in Italy and in many southern European countries fruit quite common after a meal. I often hear many of my family and friends (especially women) avoiding it for it makes them feel bloated.

I wonder if it's a question of animal products in conjunction with the fruit or if it's a matter of other digestive issues or a combination of both that has this effect. It would be interesting to know if nutrient absorption is affected as well.
Floriana

Postby Ltldogg » Thu May 21, 2015 7:01 am

Floriana wrote:Is it ok to eat fruit immediately after a meal?

Yes it is.
Ltldogg

Postby dailycarbs » Thu May 21, 2015 11:04 am

Floriana wrote:Here in Italy and in many southern European countries fruit quite common after a meal. I often hear many of my family and friends (especially women) avoiding it for it makes them feel bloated.

I wonder if it's a question of animal products in conjunction with the fruit or if it's a matter of other digestive issues or a combination of both that has this effect. It would be interesting to know if nutrient absorption is affected as well.

All over the world, people in developed and developing countries are eating more of everything, including fat. Fat clogs up your vascular and digestive system for hours. Feed it processed carbs, alcohol, and fruit along with the fat and it will wreak havock with blood sugar spikes and drops, energy level, and digestion. The only thing to do after a high fat and carb meal is take a nap and try to let your body recover. Skip the fat, eat whole plant foods (including fruit) and you're good to go.
dailycarbs

Return to The Lounge