Am I fat phobic or a body shaming sexist pig?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

You, sir, are a…

Fat shamer
21%
Sexist pig
10%
Busybody. Mind your own business!
14%
Ok in my book
38%
Meh, I don't care one way or the other.
17%

Total votes : 29

Re: Am I fat phobic or a body shaming sexist pig?

Postby VegMommy » Sun May 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Here's my take on it, without having read through the six page thread yet -

Models sell clothing. People need clothing. Some people are fat. Fat people (being people) need clothes. It's very helpful to see clothes modeled on a body that looks like yours.

Adding any judgment to that is, IMO, wrong. We have no way of knowing, based on appearances, why a person is fat, if they are losing weight, if they have already lost weight, etc. In short, my weight is none of your business. You don't know my history, my weight struggles, the amount of weight I may have recently lost, my health status, etc. If I'm obese, does that mean I'm not entitled to see people who look like me modeling the clothes I want to buy?

I say, take care of yourself and beyond that, MYOB.
VegMommy

Postby WyldMoonWoman » Sun May 17, 2015 1:36 pm

All bodies are beautiful.

Honestly, I smile when I see a voluptuous, curvy, imperfect body moving happily and confidently.

Having weighed over 250 lbs at one point in my life and struggling with my weight since I was a child, I have to say that I love seeing plus sized models. I would hide my body when I was that heavy because society demanded that I should not be happy or wear a mumu because I was fat. That self defeating feeling made me depressed. So I ate more.

I don't care what anyone looks like, it's not my place to judge anyone, as long as someone is kind and I feel that their energy is good, I really don't care what they look like.

Fat shaming is wrong. Body shaming is wrong. It's just plain mean.
All Love, All the Time
Lisa
WyldMoonWoman

Postby stilllurking » Sun May 17, 2015 3:11 pm

People here make it seem like the concepts/situations are mutually exclusive, and they’re not. It’s possible that women are objectified and held up to impossible standards AND that our perceptions of normal vs. underweight have changed. Because despite these changes of perception, Barbie is still anatomically impossible, and models who are already super-thin are airbrushed/photoshopped so they too are anatomically impossible.

It is possible for there to be impossible standards for women’s bodies in the media at the same time that > 2/3 of women are overweight or obese. The standards for thinness and perfect proportions for models hasn’t changed in 40 years or more; if there are a few “big” models thrown into the mix, they’re exceptions to the rule.

It’s possible that more people are overweight/obese (by orders of magnitude) than are underweight, but that anorexia and bulimia are still big problems in certain segments of the population. Someone mentioned ballet dancers – they are the most egregious example (over 80% with eating disorders) but there are others, generally white and middle class or above, but overall 10% of women 25-45 have anorexia or bulimia. More than 50% of the women’s track team at my college were under the care of the health center for eating disorders. Because their coach was trying to help physics along and required extreme thinness. Developing eating disorders after dieting is very common. Sure, “this is a WOE and not a diet,” but please, we know that people approach it as a diet and even some female star McDougallers talk about counting calories.

It’s possible to have an eating disorder – especially bulimia – and be overweight.

It is possible for a McDougaller to develop an eating disorder.

It is possible to be unhealthily underweight (it is actually possible to be too rich and too thin). And, yes, being underweight is even more unhealthy than being obese, even when they’ve tried to adjust for people who are underweight because of cancer or some other fatal illness. And, yes, like I said, I know it’s much less common than overweight/obesity.

There are big differences between the attitude towards men being overweight and women. No matter the publicity of people who complain about fat shaming, etc.., the reality is that women are supposed to be a certain body type with certain breasts, waist and yes, butt.

(The Daily Show re Dadbods vs. Momshells: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcrHP4xmlg )

Like coconut, I have a big butt. When I was in high school (over 30 years ago), my BMI was 21, so normal and healthy, though it could have been a bit lower, and boys and men would sometimes yell out of their car window about my big butt. That is of course in addition to the other daily barrage of cat calls, objectification in the media, etc. that women face. So when Dr. McDougall says that his daughter’s friends “have big butts,” (and, by the way, having a pear shape – bigger butt and thighs and thinner waist – is supposed to be the healthiest body shape, if the concern is actually health and not some ideal of a woman’s body) how is that different from people yelling about my big butt out of car windows? If his intention is different, and I’m not denying it is, that doesn’t matter – the effect is the same. I would say only a man could think that’s ok to say that, but of course here and everywhere there are also women who think of themselves and other women as objects so they think it’s ok.

For a brief discussion and history of objectification via “dismemberment” of women’s bodies, see this article:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/22050-wh ... -to-pieces

When (first) I gained weight in my early twenties, the cat calls stopped. For the first time since I was 10 or 11, I could walk down a busy street without honks and comments about my looks and/or anatomy. Of course everything else about being overweight was negative, and I missed having people I actually met be attracted to me, but there was some relief. I can imagine a woman going through that, and then it suddenly being ok for strangers to tell her she’s too fat (this didn't use to happen so much), and because of that she gets in on this anti- fat shaming kick. Now it’s not just women with nicer bodies who are objectified, but all women – seen as objects compared to an ideal, or objects of disgust -- instead of humans. I don’t agree with the “big is beautiful” campaign because “big” is generally unhealthy, but I can understand it. Because generally the reverse, instead of being support for health, is that fat is ugly and that women’s value is derived from our individual body parts.

When people say that they know that overweight people are sitting on the couch eating junk, that doesn’t seem to hold any purpose here other than so that the speaker can feel superior, and in order for the fat person to feel inferior. There’s the pleasure trap, and there’s also a cycle of depression and illnesses, and all sorts of reasons why people are fat. And reasons why they might eat junk and sit on the couch. Or eat junk and exercise. Or eat well and sit on the couch. And some people eat well and exercise and are still fat. And around here those people are called liars. This despite the fact that, as I said, there are women who claim that they must count calories – even Star McDougallers, as well as HH – to make this program work, and counting calories is not part of the plan. Was HH saying she followed the plan but she wasn’t? What about the Star McDougallers here who talk about a maximum of 1,200 calories? Were they really not following the program if they ate more than 1,200 calories? Maybe we should take their gold stars away.

I don’t think it’s “ok” to be fat, or “acceptable” as a society, because I think it’s unhealthy, but I understand it. I’ve spent a lot of my adult life fat. And genetics is screaming for us to be fat. Sometimes I wonder what the regulars here think about Doug Lisle’s videos: do you think he’s lying, too, when he says that “eating less and exercising more doesn’t work”?

There are threads here about smelly farts, fat people at the grocery store, and like Coconut said – “OMG my coworker is fat and she STILL ate french fries! Can you believe it? No wonder she’s obese. This country is unbelievable. OMG.” on and on and on. It’s worse against women, but the judging is there against anyone who doesn’t fit the ideal.

I’ve lurked here for years, and I come back because, as Jim has pointed out in the obligatory “We’re all great” thread, some people are very supportive, and there’s a lot of interesting links and information. And there aren't a lot of places to go for a no-oil vegan. But every time I come back, whether it’s after a week or a few months, I leave again because of this judgment and misogyny that I witness. Someone said this type of thread is rare, but I’ve seen one every time I come here, and I only look at the first page of threads in the Lounge at the most. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but I doubt it. And the problem isn't some individual talking about how fat everyone at the grocery store is, or the obese coworker eating french fries. The problem is that if anyone says they're offended, all the regulars, including the moderator, criticizes them for suggesting they're offended. "you're overreacting," you can't control other people," etc. The survey gave two choices which were variants on the theme of "I'm offended," and then someone says "I'm offended," and they're still criticized (told they shouldn't feel the way they feel), even by the maker of the survey. Weird. Maybe instead of doubling, the membership here would have quadrupled or more since 2008 or whatever date Jim mentioned, if there were true openness here and also an understanding of the role of the media in women's self-worth and our ideas about food and dieting, etc.
stilllurking

Postby petero » Sun May 17, 2015 9:33 pm

I guess men weren't the only ones who missed the memo on not objectifying the opposite sex. Why weren't a bunch of athletic women chasing my rusted-out Ford Festiva or beating down the door of my single-wide trailer (both easy tasks, for sure) when I was a sexy beast closing in on class II obesity? I guess they simply can't overcome their social conditioning and see me for the wonderful man I truly am. I'm the same sexy beast I was when I was in shape and had a promising career. At least I like to think so. Can somebody explain why women don't agree?

I can, but I'm both a fat shamer and a sexist pig. My genetic programming tells me that fat isn't sexy, no matter if it's on a male or female and no matter what any advertising, social trends, paraphilias, mommy & daddy issues, or rap videos say otherwise. I also reject the notion that sexual objectification is inherently bad, or that one gender is responsible for all of it. Or that maybe there was a time when it didn't go on, or that maybe there will be a time when it will be eradicated. We're animals.

Shame has it's purpose--conformity to the norm. This can be an important impetus to change that, for me, hasn't been all negative. Just because I temporarily feel bad doesn't mean that something positive isn't about to happen, nor do I have some magical right to be protected from all negative emotions. If I treat women and men differently at work, I should be ashamed for my discriminating behavior. If I eat enough Italian beef sandwiches to gain 100 lbs. and get the gout, I should be ashamed for letting it progress that far.

A mature attitude is that evils are both social and individual. Living in a toxic food environment doesn't absolve me of all personal responsibility. Some of which is, of course, to get together with others and try to change the environment we're living in. (That's what you get for living in a society that only retains the shadow of the Warrior.) It does not include encouraging other people's fantasies of sexy, healthy obesity, or elevating them to a social ideal. No good can come of "fat acceptance" because, for one, there's no such thing.

I sure these opinions are elsewhere in the thread so feel free to shame me for not reading.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby CarrotTopsRGreen » Mon May 18, 2015 9:22 am

Like coconut, I have a big butt. When I was in high school (over 30 years ago), my BMI was 21, so normal and healthy, though it could have been a bit lower, and boys and men would sometimes yell out of their car window about my big butt. That is of course in addition to the other daily barrage of cat calls, objectification in the media, etc. that women face. So when Dr. McDougall says that his daughter’s friends “have big butts,” (and, by the way, having a pear shape – bigger butt and thighs and thinner waist – is supposed to be the healthiest body shape, if the concern is actually health and not some ideal of a woman’s body) how is that different from people yelling about my big butt out of car windows? If his intention is different, and I’m not denying it is, that doesn’t matter – the effect is the same. I would say only a man could think that’s ok to say that, but of course here and everywhere there are also women who think of themselves and other women as objects so they think it’s ok.

Thank you for this, Lurking. At least somebody "gets" it. I suspect I am not believed when I say I was thin and trim but had a large butt all my life - but it's true. No amount of exercise or eating "The Starch Solution" is going to override my inborn anatomical shape. It's always going to be there - smaller, maybe, along with the rest of me. But it's always going to be proportionately larger than my waist or chest. I have always had a tiny waist; even when I am overweight, my waist is much smaller than my hips. It's the way I am, and when I hear somebody pontificating about the evils of a "big butt," it does make me feel ashamed, disfigured, and less than attractive. I stay here because the basic message is sound - but I feel it's a shame that some people are not more empathetic or caring if they hurt people with thoughtless words.
CarrotTopsRGreen

Postby Birdy » Mon May 18, 2015 10:09 am

dailycarbs and others who agree with him,
Take a look at the new book, Secrets from the Eating Lab, by Traci Mann, PhD. In it, the results of her twenty years of research plus that of other researchers about overweight, obesity and diets may be enlightening for you. It definitely was for me.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby dailycarbs » Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Birdy wrote:dailycarbs and others who agree with him,
Take a look at the new book, Secrets from the Eating Lab, by Traci Mann, PhD. In it, the results of her twenty years of research plus that of other researchers about overweight, obesity and diets may be enlightening for you. It definitely was for me.

Birdy, what I got from the Amazon blurb is that willpower / diets don't work. That's common sense to anyone here. I'm not sure what's to gain by doing "groundbreaking research" on this rather mundane theory and I certainly wouldn't spend my hard-earned money to read about it. If she can solve the obesity epidemic, more power to her. But people would be better advised to come here and learn about calorie density and starch instead. Just my 2 cents.

Is Your Diet Making You Fat?

From her Health and Eating Laboratory at the University of Minnesota, Professor Traci Mann researches self-control and dieting. And what she has discovered is groundbreaking: not only do diets not work, they often result in weight gain. We are losing the battle of the bulge because our bodies and brains are not hardwired to resist food—in fact, the very idea of it works against our biological imperative to survive.

In Secrets from the Eating Lab, Mann challenges assumptions—including those that make up the foundation of the weight loss industry—about how diets work and why they fail. As Mann explains, most weight loss plans are reliant on the notion of willpower—and willpower is an illusion. Moreover, even when we are able to successfully lose weight, our bodies fight our efforts, seeking to regain the weight we've worked so hard to lose. In the end, we become chronic "yo-yo" dieters, destined to lose and regain the same pounds time and again. The diet industry is well aware of these facts and has tellingly built their business model on the concept of the "repeat customer"; they know we'll be back.

The result of more than two decades of research, Secrets from the Eating Lab presents cutting-edge science and offers exciting new insights into the American obesity epidemic and our relationship with food. From redefining "comfort food" to reconsidering healthy food labeling that, ironically, makes us less inclined to make healthy choices, Mann presents an arsenal of simple, common-sense strategies that take advantage of human nature instead of fighting it—helping you to achieve a healthy and sustainable weight.
dailycarbs

Postby Birdy » Mon May 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Yes, dailycarbs, I'm sure that now you've read the Amazon blurb you're well equipped to pronounce judgment on the value of Dr. Mann's work and of the 272 pages of her book, as you are on women who are plus sized models. Good for you.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby dailycarbs » Mon May 18, 2015 6:07 pm

Birdy wrote:Yes, dailycarbs, I'm sure that now you've read the Amazon blurb you're well equipped to pronounce judgment on the value of Dr. Mann's work and of the 272 pages of her book, as you are on women who are plus sized models. Good for you.

No need for the snark. I'm asking a legit question. The blurb states the conclusions of her research as per her/the publisher. Those conclusions are already obvious to everyone on this woe. Why do we need to read about her research to support the obvious? I'd rather watch Dr. McDougall on YouTube tell me to eat potatoes. Simple and direct. And it's free!
dailycarbs

Postby roundcoconut » Tue May 19, 2015 9:15 am

Am genuinely, genuinely enjoying the comments in this thread -- both the opinions that are in synch with mine and the ones that aren't! It's a topic that never really gets spoken about in everyday life, and certainly not in great depth.

Over the years, I've spent time on two different boards that were organized around frugality, voluntary simplicity and long-term wealth. So, the discussions were very similar to here -- people who think we're strange for not having smart-phones, new cars, etc. We had lots of fun threads about people who would burn through money in ridiculous ways -- we bonded over how foolish and financially destructive we thought it was for a sister in law to buy two separate iPads, one for each 4 year old.

Here, we *do* tend to bond over the behaviors we see in others -- people who believe that chicken is a life necessity the way that your sister in law believes her children will die without new iPads. We *do* tend to bond over people who squander their health by eating heavy, processed foods, and then tell us that they "eat pretty healthy" -- just like that neighbor who drives a BMW but tells you he still has credit card debt. Good heavens!

We definitely can believe that our way of eating is awesome, and gets us to a good place that others don't believe is possible or desirable. We definitely can bond over our view of behaviors and attitudes that squander our health and well-being.

Extending our bonding to the body sizes we see in others is dicey. It seems much better to stick to behaviors!

Also, any posts that come from a negative place should always be seen for what they are. "Oh, here's someone making a contemptful comment". "Oh, here's someone making a cynical comment." Or whatever. Those generally aren't the most uplifting and it's probably possible to just dismiss anything negative without getting caught up. Oh well. I dunno.
roundcoconut

Postby PurplePotato » Tue May 19, 2015 1:26 pm

roundcoconut wrote:Also, any posts that come from a negative place should always be seen for what they are. "Oh, here's someone making a contemptful comment". "Oh, here's someone making a cynical comment." Or whatever. Those generally aren't the most uplifting and it's probably possible to just dismiss anything negative without getting caught up. Oh well. I dunno.

How can you ever know what 'place' a post is coming from? Personally, I make a lot of (sometimes more educated than others) guesses about the place a post is coming from, but I feel if I'm fully honest, that I never truly know.

So when I see a post that I at first label as negative, I can question myself: "Am I completely certain that post is negative?" When I take the time to question, I find I'm never certain.
PurplePotato

Postby soul food » Tue May 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Well Purple Potato, when I was in therapy my therapist said I got to be the authority on what my intentions were. So for example in marital counseling if I said the reason I said xyz, was because my intention was A, then I got to be the authority on my intentions. And visa versa, if my husband said his intentions were B, then he got to be the authority on that. We used the awareness wheel which separated out actions from intentions, thoughts and feelings but that only works in therapy or marital counseling. On the internet people who don't know you, can't see your face, or hear your voice, they get to be the authority on what people's intentions are.

Another thing is in marital counseling for example, we had to verbatim feed back what someone said, on the internet you don't even have to read the post very closely.

It's a different world.

soul food
soul food

Postby soul food » Tue May 19, 2015 3:23 pm

I'm going to add on some more thoughts here. I come from a American Indian tradition and culture where we do have sacred clowns, and they are like trickster figures. There are at least two ways to deal with trouble and sorrows and that is either sorrow or comedy, like the two masks of the theatre. Shakespeare wrote comedies and tragedies, they are emotionally cathartic. So I mentioned that I made a joke because I felt the vibes were so heavy, meaning that people were criticizing Dr. McDougall, who is only trying to help people and we had just been through a lot of destructive fights about HH and Chef AJ. So my intention was to help lighten things up but it BACKFIRED (that's a clown joke to myself, the joke's on me).

I do have an article that would be good foder for a big fight er discussion on weight which I am contemplating posting in it's own thread. I don't know if I should post it because my intention to make people laugh was based on there was too much tearing apart of the forum. So I am unsure. But they are comments by a doctor.

soul food
soul food

Postby stilllurking » Wed May 20, 2015 12:49 pm

One main problem I have around here is that some people seem to confuse critique or criticism of someone's words or actions with criticism of the person. That is why I brought up Doug Lisle. Then Birdy brought up a book by Dr Mann that apparently covers some of the same ideas: being fat in this society is "normal" not only societally (by the percentages), but genetically -- given the availability of "abnormal" foods -- and deciding to "eat less and exercise more," isn't going to work.

Dailycarbs then said
Those (Dr Mann's) conclusions are already obvious to everyone on this woe.
but I have not seen evidence of this in the types of comments I've seen about people who eat SAD and then the backlash against anyone who brings up the fact that judging people who are fat (following hundreds of thousands of years of evolution) is pointless, and also wrong in terms of psychology and biology.

But the same goes for criticism of something that someone who is a leader and/or public figure for this WOE says. Criticism of one sentence uttered by Dr McDougall is NOT criticism of Dr. McDougall. Criticism of one FB post by Chef AJ is not criticism ("destructive" or otherwise) of Chef AJ, and criticism of one blog post of HH is not criticism of Lindsay Nixon. I said that I always end up needing a break from this site because of judgment I perceive, but I remembered that often I need a break because of this idea that the "gurus" are perfect (though it's somewhat related, I guess: if people who eat this way are superior then the leaders must be super-superior) They are not gods. Last time I was around here someone linked to what Jeff had to say about a subject (can't remember what it was), and another member said something like, "Jeff's always right, so thanks for that link." Really? He's always right? He's never made a mistake or changed his mind? Should I call the Pope? Even Dr. McDougall says, about numerous topics (but not the basics of this WOE of course) something like "I reserve the right to change my mind."

Vegans are what, .5% of the US population? So people who are vegan and no oil, and limited high fat plants are extremely radical, maybe .1% of the population, probably less (and just about as radical almost anywhere in the world, even in places who still eat a traditional diet that is much closer to this WOE). People who think "food" first and "medication" second or beyond are also radical. So I find it strange that some people -- and it seems to be many of the most committed people here -- who are willing to go so against the norm are then so uncomfortable with dissenting opinions. I personally think that what is most "destructive" is not allowing any dissent (by which I mean disagreement with the favorite gurus here).

Besides the benefits in general of being able to think for ourselves critically, that is what will help us if and when, despite our best efforts, we have to deal in some way with the medical industry. Being open to discussion makes the community seem more accepting to newcomers. Sure, this is a website based on this WOE, so Atkins fans should be told to go elsewhere. And it's run by Dr McDougall, so it's centered around his particular take on this WOE within that narrow field. But if there's absolutely zero room for any criticism or debate about anything he's ever said, then that's just beyond weird. Same goes for Chef AJ and HH. Now, if I have a particular criticism of in this case Dr M's delivery (the way he chose to describe his daughter's female friends by a body part), naturally some people will disagree with my take. Some people will be bothered by the content of a FB or blog post by a "guru chef" and others will think the content is fine. So naturally some people should say "I don't have a problem with what X person said,or with how y person delivered their message," but to say that because the gurus "just want to help," or "have helped so many people," or even "have saved my life," which was the gist in all three cases (and others, though of course there are favored gurus and less favored -- HH less favored than Chef AJ, Dr Gregor less favored than Dr M, etc) is not debate about the topic, it's a debate about the individuals' worth. Then personal attacks and criticism (which happened in at least one of those cases) of the person with the complaint about the content continues the concept that the issues are about personalities and not ideas, and that we're disciples and not followers of fallible humans.
stilllurking

Postby f1jim » Wed May 20, 2015 2:46 pm

This is exactly where we all run into trouble. The leaders we tend to follow on this way of eating are a cluster that think quite similarly on many things from a nutritional standpoint. But they certainly don't think identically. Many differences are not really differences. They are simply looking at eating from different vantage points. Some have a focus on diabetes, some from a heart disease perspective. Some from a weight loss viewpoint. Many times the differences get magnified by taking a quote, said in one context, then trying to relate it to a different subject. It pretty easy, in a world where everything someone says or writes is out i=on the internet forever. Including members posts here.
I could take anyone, including myself, and with some creative quoting and clever writing could have me looking like I support eating meat. It's very hard to remove a persons words from the context they were in when writing or speaking them.

I know it's beating a dead horse but really, most of our nutritional leaders are pretty darn close in overall viewpoints regarding nutrition. I've personally talked to most of them and find they really are about getting meat, dairy and oil out of the diet. There can be minor differences in percentages, portions, and where to put the emphasis but they all have things we can draw from and incorporate without relegating them to the garbage pail over a few sentences, possibly out of context.
My first introduction to this way of eating was through the books of Dr. Dean Ornish. Then I read Dr. Caldwell Esseltyns book, Through them I discovered Dr. McDougall. If I put ALL of their words under a microscope and bereft of context, I can have them looking like they all follow completely different diets and lifestyle choices. I acknowledge that Dr. Ornish allows egg whites and non-fat dairy. I acknowledge that Dr. Esselstyn focuses heavy on the greens. I choose to focus on what they do agree on instead. As much plants as possible, as little meat, dairy , and oil as possible and carve out my diet from what I've gleaned. It probably doesn't help to focus on those differences and make it a debate point. It's just too small of a picture to enjoy the view. When someone does post something "controversial" that was said by one of our nutritional colleagues I tend to gloss over the controversy and focus on the message this individual brings to the table.
I also figure of Dr. McDougall allows them to speak on his stage I should probably be giving them the benefit of the doubt in terms of their motives.
What that has do do with someone being fat phobic, a shamer, or a sexist I am not sure but I had fun posting.
You?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge