Am I fat phobic or a body shaming sexist pig?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

You, sir, are a…

Fat shamer
21%
Sexist pig
10%
Busybody. Mind your own business!
14%
Ok in my book
38%
Meh, I don't care one way or the other.
17%

Total votes : 29

Re: Am I fat phobic or a body shaming sexist pig?

Postby VegMommy » Thu May 21, 2015 11:29 am

stilllurking wrote:I’ve lurked here for years, and I come back because, as Jim has pointed out in the obligatory “We’re all great” thread, some people are very supportive, and there’s a lot of interesting links and information. And there aren't a lot of places to go for a no-oil vegan. But every time I come back, whether it’s after a week or a few months, I leave again because of this judgment and misogyny that I witness. Someone said this type of thread is rare, but I’ve seen one every time I come here, and I only look at the first page of threads in the Lounge at the most. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but I doubt it. And the problem isn't some individual talking about how fat everyone at the grocery store is, or the obese coworker eating french fries. The problem is that if anyone says they're offended, all the regulars, including the moderator, criticizes them for suggesting they're offended. "you're overreacting," you can't control other people," etc. The survey gave two choices which were variants on the theme of "I'm offended," and then someone says "I'm offended," and they're still criticized (told they shouldn't feel the way they feel), even by the maker of the survey. Weird. Maybe instead of doubling, the membership here would have quadrupled or more since 2008 or whatever date Jim mentioned, if there were true openness here and also an understanding of the role of the media in women's self-worth and our ideas about food and dieting, etc.

Your entire post was wonderful, but this last paragraph expresses my own feelings about the forum. I even started a thread not too long ago about how great this forum is, but then I found myself visiting less often because of just this type of judgmentalism. It's disheartenting.
VegMommy

Postby VegMommy » Thu May 21, 2015 11:39 am

petero wrote:I guess men weren't the only ones who missed the memo on not objectifying the opposite sex. Why weren't a bunch of athletic women chasing my rusted-out Ford Festiva or beating down the door of my single-wide trailer (both easy tasks, for sure) when I was a sexy beast closing in on class II obesity? I guess they simply can't overcome their social conditioning and see me for the wonderful man I truly am. I'm the same sexy beast I was when I was in shape and had a promising career. At least I like to think so. Can somebody explain why women don't agree?

I can, but I'm both a fat shamer and a sexist pig. My genetic programming tells me that fat isn't sexy, no matter if it's on a male or female and no matter what any advertising, social trends, paraphilias, mommy & daddy issues, or rap videos say otherwise. I also reject the notion that sexual objectification is inherently bad, or that one gender is responsible for all of it. Or that maybe there was a time when it didn't go on, or that maybe there will be a time when it will be eradicated. We're animals.

Shame has it's purpose--conformity to the norm. This can be an important impetus to change that, for me, hasn't been all negative. Just because I temporarily feel bad doesn't mean that something positive isn't about to happen, nor do I have some magical right to be protected from all negative emotions. If I treat women and men differently at work, I should be ashamed for my discriminating behavior. If I eat enough Italian beef sandwiches to gain 100 lbs. and get the gout, I should be ashamed for letting it progress that far.

A mature attitude is that evils are both social and individual. Living in a toxic food environment doesn't absolve me of all personal responsibility. Some of which is, of course, to get together with others and try to change the environment we're living in. (That's what you get for living in a society that only retains the shadow of the Warrior.) It does not include encouraging other people's fantasies of sexy, healthy obesity, or elevating them to a social ideal. No good can come of "fat acceptance" because, for one, there's no such thing.

I sure these opinions are elsewhere in the thread so feel free to shame me for not reading.

There's a big difference between finding obesity sexy and actively shaming people. You don't have to find fat women attractive. You do have to treat them decently and with respect.
VegMommy

Postby nicoles » Thu May 21, 2015 12:05 pm

stilllurking wrote:People here make it seem like the concepts/situations are mutually exclusive, and they’re not. It’s possible that women are objectified and held up to impossible standards AND that our perceptions of normal vs. underweight have changed. Because despite these changes of perception, Barbie is still anatomically impossible, and models who are already super-thin are airbrushed/photoshopped so they too are anatomically impossible.

It is possible for there to be impossible standards for women’s bodies in the media at the same time that > 2/3 of women are overweight or obese. The standards for thinness and perfect proportions for models hasn’t changed in 40 years or more; if there are a few “big” models thrown into the mix, they’re exceptions to the rule.

It’s possible that more people are overweight/obese (by orders of magnitude) than are underweight, but that anorexia and bulimia are still big problems in certain segments of the population. Someone mentioned ballet dancers – they are the most egregious example (over 80% with eating disorders) but there are others, generally white and middle class or above, but overall 10% of women 25-45 have anorexia or bulimia. More than 50% of the women’s track team at my college were under the care of the health center for eating disorders. Because their coach was trying to help physics along and required extreme thinness. Developing eating disorders after dieting is very common. Sure, “this is a WOE and not a diet,” but please, we know that people approach it as a diet and even some female star McDougallers talk about counting calories.

It’s possible to have an eating disorder – especially bulimia – and be overweight.

It is possible for a McDougaller to develop an eating disorder.

It is possible to be unhealthily underweight (it is actually possible to be too rich and too thin). And, yes, being underweight is even more unhealthy than being obese, even when they’ve tried to adjust for people who are underweight because of cancer or some other fatal illness. And, yes, like I said, I know it’s much less common than overweight/obesity.

There are big differences between the attitude towards men being overweight and women. No matter the publicity of people who complain about fat shaming, etc.., the reality is that women are supposed to be a certain body type with certain breasts, waist and yes, butt.

(The Daily Show re Dadbods vs. Momshells: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRcrHP4xmlg )

Like coconut, I have a big butt. When I was in high school (over 30 years ago), my BMI was 21, so normal and healthy, though it could have been a bit lower, and boys and men would sometimes yell out of their car window about my big butt. That is of course in addition to the other daily barrage of cat calls, objectification in the media, etc. that women face. So when Dr. McDougall says that his daughter’s friends “have big butts,” (and, by the way, having a pear shape – bigger butt and thighs and thinner waist – is supposed to be the healthiest body shape, if the concern is actually health and not some ideal of a woman’s body) how is that different from people yelling about my big butt out of car windows? If his intention is different, and I’m not denying it is, that doesn’t matter – the effect is the same. I would say only a man could think that’s ok to say that, but of course here and everywhere there are also women who think of themselves and other women as objects so they think it’s ok.

For a brief discussion and history of objectification via “dismemberment” of women’s bodies, see this article:
http://www.bustle.com/articles/22050-wh ... -to-pieces

When (first) I gained weight in my early twenties, the cat calls stopped. For the first time since I was 10 or 11, I could walk down a busy street without honks and comments about my looks and/or anatomy. Of course everything else about being overweight was negative, and I missed having people I actually met be attracted to me, but there was some relief. I can imagine a woman going through that, and then it suddenly being ok for strangers to tell her she’s too fat (this didn't use to happen so much), and because of that she gets in on this anti- fat shaming kick. Now it’s not just women with nicer bodies who are objectified, but all women – seen as objects compared to an ideal, or objects of disgust -- instead of humans. I don’t agree with the “big is beautiful” campaign because “big” is generally unhealthy, but I can understand it. Because generally the reverse, instead of being support for health, is that fat is ugly and that women’s value is derived from our individual body parts.

When people say that they know that overweight people are sitting on the couch eating junk, that doesn’t seem to hold any purpose here other than so that the speaker can feel superior, and in order for the fat person to feel inferior. There’s the pleasure trap, and there’s also a cycle of depression and illnesses, and all sorts of reasons why people are fat. And reasons why they might eat junk and sit on the couch. Or eat junk and exercise. Or eat well and sit on the couch. And some people eat well and exercise and are still fat. And around here those people are called liars. This despite the fact that, as I said, there are women who claim that they must count calories – even Star McDougallers, as well as HH – to make this program work, and counting calories is not part of the plan. Was HH saying she followed the plan but she wasn’t? What about the Star McDougallers here who talk about a maximum of 1,200 calories? Were they really not following the program if they ate more than 1,200 calories? Maybe we should take their gold stars away.

I don’t think it’s “ok” to be fat, or “acceptable” as a society, because I think it’s unhealthy, but I understand it. I’ve spent a lot of my adult life fat. And genetics is screaming for us to be fat. Sometimes I wonder what the regulars here think about Doug Lisle’s videos: do you think he’s lying, too, when he says that “eating less and exercising more doesn’t work”?

There are threads here about smelly farts, fat people at the grocery store, and like Coconut said – “OMG my coworker is fat and she STILL ate french fries! Can you believe it? No wonder she’s obese. This country is unbelievable. OMG.” on and on and on. It’s worse against women, but the judging is there against anyone who doesn’t fit the ideal.

I’ve lurked here for years, and I come back because, as Jim has pointed out in the obligatory “We’re all great” thread, some people are very supportive, and there’s a lot of interesting links and information. And there aren't a lot of places to go for a no-oil vegan. But every time I come back, whether it’s after a week or a few months, I leave again because of this judgment and misogyny that I witness. Someone said this type of thread is rare, but I’ve seen one every time I come here, and I only look at the first page of threads in the Lounge at the most. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but I doubt it. And the problem isn't some individual talking about how fat everyone at the grocery store is, or the obese coworker eating french fries. The problem is that if anyone says they're offended, all the regulars, including the moderator, criticizes them for suggesting they're offended. "you're overreacting," you can't control other people," etc. The survey gave two choices which were variants on the theme of "I'm offended," and then someone says "I'm offended," and they're still criticized (told they shouldn't feel the way they feel), even by the maker of the survey. Weird. Maybe instead of doubling, the membership here would have quadrupled or more since 2008 or whatever date Jim mentioned, if there were true openness here and also an understanding of the role of the media in women's self-worth and our ideas about food and dieting, etc.

Stillurking, thanks for coming out of the lurking mode and sharing this. All of it is brilliant, I found the paragraph I put in bold to be especially on target.
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby arugula » Thu May 21, 2015 1:20 pm

scooterpie wrote:here are Dr McD's comments on his daughter's friends with "big butts." I don't think calling out someone's (especially a woman's) big butt is going to change behavior. I can understand the frustration after all these years, but I don't think getting mad because of a group of women's big butts (whatever context that's in) will advance the ball. In fact that attitude and anger and show of frustration probably will turn off more than it will turn on:-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... FNs#t=2389

Thanks for the link. I personally love his anger and I share his frustration in seeing what has happened in the last 30 years in the USA and most of the developed world. He's entitled to it. In fact, I think he's a saint for not throwing in the towel.

I think this graphic (heath care costs vs BMI) from Luigi Fontana et al, Energy efficiency as a unifying principle for human, environmental, and global health [v1; ref status: indexed, http://f1000r.es/y8] is appropriate:

I think it's sad that I have to be afraid of using "the f word" on this forum. The three letter f word.
arugula

Postby ETeSelle » Thu May 21, 2015 2:39 pm

arugula wrote:I think it's sad that I have to be afraid of using "the f word" on this forum. The three letter f word.

Yup.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby CHEF AJ » Thu May 21, 2015 11:42 pm

soul food wrote:
It was just an attempt at humor because we have recently been through some heavy vibes on this board with people expressing concern over HH and Chef AJ about how thin they are, and questioning whether that was healthy.

I can assure you that neither one of us is too thin. We are of normal weight, but in the face of the obesity epidemic a person of normal weight is now considered too thin. When I lost weight I sent Dr. McDougall photos and asked him if I was too thin. He sent me a chart by one of his heroes, Dr. Walter Kempner, that said I could actually still lose a few pounds. Lindsay and I hang out all the time and when we go to yoga or the gym we are far from being the thinnest people in the classes.
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby dailycarbs » Fri May 22, 2015 2:25 am

CHEF AJ wrote:
When I lost weight I sent Dr. McDougall photos and asked him if I was too thin. He sent me a chart by one of his heroes, Dr. Walter Kempner, that said I could actually still lose a few pounds.

Chef AJ, I'd love to see the chart if it's online. If not, perhaps you can upload it?
dailycarbs

Postby VeggieSue » Fri May 22, 2015 2:49 am

It's in this McDougall newsletter article from July 2003:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl/jul/030700puhowdoigainweight.htm

Dr. Fuhrman uses the same goal weights.
VeggieSue

Postby dailycarbs » Fri May 22, 2015 3:34 am

VeggieSue, thanks!
dailycarbs

Postby eshqua » Fri May 22, 2015 6:18 am

VegMommy wrote:
stilllurking wrote:I’ve lurked here for years, and I come back because, as Jim has pointed out in the obligatory “We’re all great” thread, some people are very supportive, and there’s a lot of interesting links and information. And there aren't a lot of places to go for a no-oil vegan. But every time I come back, whether it’s after a week or a few months, I leave again because of this judgment and misogyny that I witness. Someone said this type of thread is rare, but I’ve seen one every time I come here, and I only look at the first page of threads in the Lounge at the most. Maybe it’s just coincidence, but I doubt it. And the problem isn't some individual talking about how fat everyone at the grocery store is, or the obese coworker eating french fries. The problem is that if anyone says they're offended, all the regulars, including the moderator, criticizes them for suggesting they're offended. "you're overreacting," you can't control other people," etc. The survey gave two choices which were variants on the theme of "I'm offended," and then someone says "I'm offended," and they're still criticized (told they shouldn't feel the way they feel), even by the maker of the survey. Weird. Maybe instead of doubling, the membership here would have quadrupled or more since 2008 or whatever date Jim mentioned, if there were true openness here and also an understanding of the role of the media in women's self-worth and our ideas about food and dieting, etc.

Your entire post was wonderful, but this last paragraph expresses my own feelings about the forum. I even started a thread not too long ago about how great this forum is, but then I found myself visiting less often because of just this type of judgmentalism. It's disheartenting.

Totally agree. I have left this forum at times also. I would love to see more encouragement and respect. It's not what you say - it's how you say it.
eshqua

Postby f1jim » Fri May 22, 2015 6:40 am

Again, I ask that any message that exhibits behavior you find offensive be reported. If you do not report it you cannot complain about it. Let's see the examples of offensive messages we are "hypothetically" discussing. If a message is truly offensive you do everyone harm by not reporting it.
We have two male moderators and two female moderators.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby CHEF AJ » Fri May 22, 2015 8:14 am

VeggieSue wrote:It's in this McDougall newsletter article from July 2003:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl/jul/030700puhowdoigainweight.htm

Dr. Fuhrman uses the same goal weights.

Actually, Dr. Fuhrman is a bit more lenient. He says a woman should weigh 100 pounds at 5 feet and 4 pounds per inch thereafter. At 5'6" I should weigh 119 according to him, which I do. ( I fluctuate from 118-123). He does not say if this should be clothed or not, or maybe he does and I just don't recall, but when I do weigh myself it is not clothed. For me clothes add 2-3 pounds. According to Dr. Kempner I should weigh 117 fully clothed which is 114-115 not clothed. So I woukd have to lose at least another 5 pounds to meet Dr. Kempner's guidelines. The other problem I have with these charts is it doesn't account for muscle. Now that I am working out I am gaining weight but not gaining fat, so I'm not sure how helpful these numbers are. There is a machine that tells you better information, like how much fat and muscle and intracellular water you have, in other words what the weight actually means.

When I was overweight people here and on other forums kept calling me fat. Now that I am of normal weight people are calling me too thin or even anorexic. I have had the pleasure of being in Dr. McDougslls company twice last fall and he was very pleased with my appearance and complimented me on my weight loss.
Love & Kale,
Chef AJ
www.EatUnprocessed.com
www.HealthyTasteOnline.com
CHEF AJ

Postby ETeSelle » Fri May 22, 2015 8:16 am

CHEF AJ wrote:I can assure you that neither one of us is too thin. We are of normal weight, but in the face of the obesity epidemic a person of normal weight is now considered too thin. When I lost weight I sent Dr. McDougall photos and asked him if I was too thin. He sent me a chart by one of his heroes, Dr. Walter Kempner, that said I could actually still lose a few pounds. Lindsay and I hang out all the time and when we go to yoga or the gym we are far from being the thinnest people in the classes.

YES. Neither of them is too thin--the problem is that society (EVEN HERE!) is now so used to seeing fat people that fat (or at least overweight) is now "normal." Sad but true. I get this all the time as well, and it's absurd. I'm where a woman is SUPPOSED to be--the fact that the rest of the world is used to heavier people does not change that fact.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby katgirl55 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:29 am

f1jim wrote:Again, I ask that any message that exhibits behavior you find offensive be reported. If you do not report it you cannot complain about it. Let's see the examples of offensive messages we are "hypothetically" discussing. If a message is truly offensive you do everyone harm by not reporting it.
We have two male moderators and two female moderators.
f1jim

I think that there is a difference between being actually offended, and just being turned off by the tone. If I was totally offended I would report it. If I am merely turned off by it, I will stay away for a bit. I think others are entitled to their opinions, and so am I. Dialog here might not always be happy and sunny, but there is potential for some real debate of issues, and possibly some understanding of where the other view is coming from. That comes from people speaking up, though. If we just keep quiet and stay away, then some people who could be helped by this forum will be lost.
katgirl55

Postby Jumpstart » Fri May 22, 2015 1:22 pm

I wish you hadn't mentioned the pictures sent to Dr. McDougall. When I mentioned them to my DH of course he wants you to post them. His opinion: "You're as cute as a bunny." Men??!!!!!
Jumpstart

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge