HH's 1200 calories

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: HH's 1200 calories

Postby VeganGypsy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:31 pm

BlueHeron wrote:
VeganGypsy wrote:The comments posted that were in opposition to hers, including mine, got immediately deleted. So much for free speech.
:(

It doesn't sound like a good way for her to run her business, but "free speech" is irrelevant here. You don't have free speech on her message board anymore than someone else's free speech would mean the right to paint messages on your house (or for someone else to post pro-paleo messages on this board). The right to free speech means the government can't control your speech. That's it.

Comic about that (offensive language warning):
https://xkcd.com/1357/

I stand corrected. She has the "right" to control what's posted on her pages/message boards, and it's my choice to leave, which I did.
VeganGypsy

Postby BlueHeron » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:35 pm

VeganGypsy wrote:
BlueHeron wrote:
VeganGypsy wrote:The comments posted that were in opposition to hers, including mine, got immediately deleted. So much for free speech.
:(

It doesn't sound like a good way for her to run her business, but "free speech" is irrelevant here. You don't have free speech on her message board anymore than someone else's free speech would mean the right to paint messages on your house (or for someone else to post pro-paleo messages on this board). The right to free speech means the government can't control your speech. That's it.

Comic about that (offensive language warning):
https://xkcd.com/1357/

I stand corrected. She has the "right" to control what's posted on her pages/message boards, and it's my choice to leave, which I did.

Totally understandable. I've got to say I've lost some respect for her after seeing what's been posted here.
BlueHeron

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:32 pm

If addicted to counting calories, probably safer to compute the basal metabolic rate online which gives the minimum calories needed by a person assuming no exercise. 1200 calories is just an arbitrary number that obviously won't apply to everyone so it is hard to say if 1,200 calories is safe for everyone if done for many months. My bmr is 1,300 calories. So if I eat just 1,300 calories per day, I am sure to lose weight since I stand the whole day and do some exercises that maybe burn about 200 calories so I will be short by maybe 200 calories per day.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
colonyofcells

Postby happyherbivore » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:47 pm

I try not to respond to things people say about me (because everyone is entitled to their position) but I'm also tired of everyone forwarding me these McD threads asking me to respond ;)

I am not anorexic. Accusing me (or Chef AJ or anyone else, public figure or not) does a disservice to the many people who actually do.

With respect to comments made by Gypsy and Beth Ann, I'm sorry they had a bad experience -- I'm completely surprised and saddened because I thought both left on good terms.

Here was my email to Beth Ann:
Hi -- I wanted to message you directly.

I understand where you're coming from -- you feel I shouldn't have suggested finding a new doctor (it sounds like you do have a great team) and I see that was probably premature. A downside to my job is I typically only see the worst of the medical industry, so I do on autopilot telling people their options and the need for a second opinion.

Colon cancer is something near to my heart -- my grandmother dying from it as I watched and could do nothing is one of the things that sent me down the plant-based path.

I would like to move on, and don't feel continuing to discuss it on threads in the group is healthy for you, me, and everyone else sitting on the sidelines. Someone emailed me that it made the feel comfortable yesterday--reminded them of their parents chronic fighting and divorce and made them feel anxious that they had to pick sides.

Again, I'm sorry that you feel miffed or angry or disappointed. That was not my intention. I was just trying to help and I am glad that you have found a doctor team that you like and is supporting you in the ways you need.

Feel free to email [my personal address]

When Beth Ann replied to me, she mentioned having hard times eating certain foods (many that are on the meal plans), and that was now doing something different.. she'd bought membership when she was feeling better, and now she was having to make all these substitutions.

My heart went out to her, and realizing that she probably wouldn't be able to use the plans, I wrote:

"I absolutely want what is best for you, but am not sure that it is my mentorship or the program that I offer. I've talked to my team and they're going to give you a partial refund, which should process in the next hour.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you - and wish you good health with the road ahead. It sounds like you are finding something that works for you, which is the most important."

She wrote back wishing me the best and me her, so I'm very sad to see it wasn't as positive as I thought.

Re: what Gypsy said, I am changing the meal plan based on feedback but not because people had a problem with the 1200 calories -- most people actually still want that. We're just improving the format and making it easier for people who don't want to count calories or want more calories.

I was also more than happy to accomodate Gypsy. In fact, that is our standard protocol. If we change the plans (and we do a few times a year to improve them) we always give out past plans to people who have prepaid if they don't like the new format.

My tweets and posts are often scheduled way ahead (or posted by my team) and we aren't passive aggressive--but I know that I've seen things on social media, and thought they were about me.

My team and I don't delete opposing comments or even negative ones towards me -- we only delete comments that might cause confusion or problems --which was the case there. It wasn't that the comment was opposing but it was saying I was changing things I actually wasn't, which was creating more confusion.

And finally :) I have been a speaker at McD weekend and many other conferences. While I am not a medical doctor (and don't pretend to be) I have (and hopefully will continue) to help people transition to a plant based diet. I don't sell information, or a diet plan, I provide shopping lists and recipes -- and I help teach people to live a plant-based lfestyle based on the McD principal.

Everyone has to make a living--Dr. McD included, its why he has his weekends :) I started the meal plans because people asked for them, but more importantly to help pay for my website and my time -- I answer 1000s of emails a month and love doing that -- but no one is giving me a job to do that or paying me to, so what's where the meal plans come in. They allow me to continue my outreach.

Anyway, thank you for allowing me to explain myself and share my view of various events. I won't be following this thread (I don't think that would be healthy for me) but feel free to email me, I'm always an open to talking.

and finally, I'd like to again apologize to Beth Ann and Gypsy. I'm so sorry you felt this way and had that experience. I hope someday I can change that.
happyherbivore

Postby colonyofcells » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Most vegan gurus tend to be more cautious about claims of cancer reversal. I am not aware of the reversal rate for breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer using plant based diets. My old friend Steve Jobs seems to have found out that diets and fasting might not work in reversing pancreas cancer.
Today, I ate 2 lbs of boiled carrot soup and it is about 300 calories so maybe it is enough to count as a starch.
colonyofcells

Postby sharonbikes » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:01 pm

Thank you, Happy Herbivore! I am a fan. Her books have helped me a lot and the meal plans have given me a lot of good ideas and recipes. I have never observed her cutting down any of the plant based docs and she doesn't tell people that they must eat 1200 calories a day. She is completely on board with the plant-based docs and has done great things to spread the word about how to make plant based eating work. I don't understand why anyone has a problem with that.

Not everyone has to like everything, but I don't choose to spend my energy feeling like everyone has to agree with me and like only the things I like and not like the things I don't like.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby VeganGypsy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:42 pm

Just want everyone to know, Lindsay emailed me directly and I responded. I appreciate her reaching out and hope that the communication will lead to better understanding.

As I wrote to her, while I stand by what I said here, the remarks were not kind and I apologize for that. I was reactive and feeling hurt at the way the situation was handled, perhaps we both should've communicated better and the outcome would have been more positive.

So, that's all I have to say about that. :)
VeganGypsy

Postby bethannerickson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:45 pm

Also an FYI: Lindsay and I had a very nice conversation via Facebook and we've ironed out our misunderstanding. I let her know I thought her food plan was awesome and she's quite understanding about the whole cancer discussion.

I've removed my original complaint since it's no longer relevant.

Lindsay is excellent at customer relations and I appreciated her kind words.

Beth :)
bethannerickson

Postby Starchmonger » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:39 am

The formatting reminds me of a chain-email that's going to ask you to buy something or subscribe to hear the ultimate healing secret at the end.

As I read, it became apparent she wasn't really talking about eating real plant foods. I do not accept that the first image of her was eating a strict low-fat vegan diet of potatoes, leafy greens, oats etc. with no oils, little to no nuts, and very limited to no salts and packaged foods.

I am slender - in the 140-150lb range as a 6' tall male, and I eat to satiety whenever I'm hungry. I can't remember the last time I actively tried to keep track of my 'calorie' intake.

Eat plants, enjoy your food, save the planet, be healthy,
Starchmonger
Low Fat, Whole Foods vegan
Current Diet - Potatoes, fruits, leafy greens. Current weight ~148lbs down from a lifetime high of 260.

Stop counting calories! Just eat the right foods!
Starchmonger

Postby patty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 pm

I too feel it is important to remember Dr. McDougall's program is about satiety in what you eat:) Life consumes us:) And the best revenge in life is to be happy, joyous and free. We are all fascinated with unrequited love as it is a love that eludes us.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby viv » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:23 pm

patty wrote:And the best revenge in life is to be happy, joyous and free.
Aloha, patty

Eat potatoes, live long and prosper!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby djunamod » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:03 am

My take on it is that there is a big difference between "all you can eat" and "not counting calories". I don't ever recall any of the WFPB diet books I read saying it's all you can eat. Yes, many do say you don't have to count calories, but that doesn't mean you can eat everything in sight. It just means that you don't have to worry about how many calories are in that cup of brown rice or that cup of beans.

For myself, I've found that when I do a WFPB lifestyle and even when I do a vegan diet with mostly whole foods but with a moderate fat level (as I did for the last 6 months), I don't count calories and I don't overeat. And as long as I stick with it, I do lose weight - not melting the pounds off, but a pretty steady gradual weight loss. It is the quality of the food that helps me, not the quantity.

I find it a bit hard to believe that she was eating so much food. She describes "an entire kabocha squash, two bunches of kale (steamed) with lemon and garlic, 2 big tomatoes, a can of beans, 3-4 cups of brown rice, an apple..." for one lunch. A whole can of beans? I can barely eat a serving and I usually don't finish it, especially when I eat a lot of veggies with it (as I usually do).

I think you have to always use common sense. I highly doubt that many people really take "all you can eat" literally when reading WFPB books. People are much smarter than that.

Djuna
Starting Weight: 187.4
Current Weight: 182.2
Goal Weight: 120-125
djunamod

Postby dailycarbs » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:06 pm

djunamod wrote:My take on it is that there is a big difference between "all you can eat" and "not counting calories". I don't ever recall any of the WFPB diet books I read saying it's all you can eat. Yes, many do say you don't have to count calories, but that doesn't mean you can eat everything in sight. It just means that you don't have to worry about how many calories are in that cup of brown rice or that cup of beans.

For myself, I've found that when I do a WFPB lifestyle and even when I do a vegan diet with mostly whole foods but with a moderate fat level (as I did for the last 6 months), I don't count calories and I don't overeat. And as long as I stick with it, I do lose weight - not melting the pounds off, but a pretty steady gradual weight loss. It is the quality of the food that helps me, not the quantity.

I find it a bit hard to believe that she was eating so much food. She describes "an entire kabocha squash, two bunches of kale (steamed) with lemon and garlic, 2 big tomatoes, a can of beans, 3-4 cups of brown rice, an apple..." for one lunch. A whole can of beans? I can barely eat a serving and I usually don't finish it, especially when I eat a lot of veggies with it (as I usually do).

I think you have to always use common sense. I highly doubt that many people really take "all you can eat" literally when reading WFPB books. People are much smarter than that.

Djuna

You're making too much damn sense. Leave the premises! :D

Some people seek to complicate the simple. HH is a case in point with that blog post. The idea that she's advising others and charging for the privilege is frankly, scary to me. This plan couldn't be simpler. Dr. M could not make it simpler, easier, or cheaper. And it's free!! For those with eating disorders or emotional issues, no woe can be a silver bullet to their problems. They need to get counseling as well.
dailycarbs

Postby MarionP » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:01 pm

djunamod wrote:I find it a bit hard to believe that she was eating so much food. She describes "an entire kabocha squash, two bunches of kale (steamed) with lemon and garlic, 2 big tomatoes, a can of beans, 3-4 cups of brown rice, an apple..." for one lunch.

That part is a sticking point for me too. Even if I could eat all of that, I can't even fathom how I could find the time to do so. The only way it could be done is by swallowing most of it straight up with minimal chewing.
MarionP

Postby sharonbikes » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Just because you can't run a 4 minute mile does not mean it cannot be done. Seriously, if you don't want to use the HH meal plans, then don't. She is doing great work to help people stay on track - if it's not for you, then fine, but that doesn't mean it's not helpful to others.

Sharon
sharonbikes

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge