HH's 1200 calories

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

HH's 1200 calories

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:32 pm

You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Re: HH's 1200 calories

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Wow. Just skimmed that article. I think she totally misrepresents the McDougall plan by making him say that you can eat as much as you want of whole foods and plants, regardless of what it is. And she admits she ate as many as 5 bean burgers at one sitting! I am surprised her biggest problem was plateauing. I would gain weight like crazy eating like she did.

Then I also noticed that she is selling stuff, so she had to write something outrageous to drive traffic to her site.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:06 pm

I believe the starch solution includes at least some walking.
colonyofcells

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:30 pm

came here to share the same thing. to think Durian Rider & Freelie call Kayla's 1600 calorie diets harmful starvation diets, I wonder what they would say about 1200 calories...

Asian diets can be as high as 3600 calories a day & they are the trimmest. I think HH needs to learn about Adaptive Thermogenesis & the Calculus of Calories... I could not recommend a starvation diet. I personally promote the all you can eat version & have no issues with men vs women. We rate food based on the fat. You have to eat fat to get fat. 15% or 20% fat diets aren't from beans, unless soy beans. She states her metabolism is 1500 cals a day w/activity = adaptive thermogenesis. Starvation diets cause our metabolisms to slow. I like the McDougall ad libitium studies & the carb overfeeding studies.

Not to make light of the overeating aspects, but fasting like at True North is great for resetting.
I'd like to hear JeffN's feedback! Obviously love HH, but 1200c is a road we've been down before & the tone & replies of that post were worriesome.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby roundcoconut » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Wow. I found the tenor of that so utterly disturbing!

We have this script in society, that practically the ultimate accomplishment in life for a woman is to be thin and beautiful. According to this tired script, by becoming "thin and beautiful" (the two are considered inseparable), one then becomes successful (it is sometimes implied your thinness *is* your success, not a prerequisite to same), entitled to happiness, self-love, the full acceptance of others, and the life you've always wanted.

So, here we've got a before: "Look at me when I weighed 125 (or whatever number)-- I was eating too much, and didn't smile for the cameras when I wore my sports bra." And we've got the after photo of a new and improved Lindsay Nixon, telling us how she did it, and you can do it too.

Now, to be fair, I'm not trying to pick on her story, or her right to live in the size body she wants to live in.

But it reminds me of another tired script, the related story about a woman's goal in life is to meet the right man. They tell us this story, too, to pull us down, and to sell us stuff. "Oh, if you don't do this, you'll never get a man", or "Look at this woman, who got her life together and found true love", or "So-and-so is a wife and mother who enjoys crossfit and broccoli." Well, I am a bit of a feminist -- I kinda gag on this sh*t.

Well there's my rant for today. Actually, I think I may be on borrowed rant, because this my be my second for today. Thus ends this installment of Coconuts Gone Wild!
roundcoconut

Postby eXtremE » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Currently, I only eat about 1000-1200 calories per day and I don't feel hungry or deprived. There are times I eat a little more than this.

I have zero desire to overeat on plant foods. Now if I went back to eating snickers candy bars for example, I could probably easily consume 2000 calories or more daily bc of the sugar and fat pleasure factor.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Its really scary when you compare the 1200 to worldwide consumption.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... rgy_intake

Its well below the poorest & most starving nations on the planet.

Democratic Republic of the Congo 1,590
Eritrea 1,590
healthyvegan

Postby baardmk » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:04 pm

eXtremE, are you kidding me? 1000 calories!? I know you're not tall, but..

And you're doing some aerobic exercise/strength training as well, right? Like 1hr worth average per day, or something, right?

Most males maybe have 2400-2600 expenditure at a reasonable weight. For normal, thin, not tall men, maybe 1600-1800.

But 1000-1200!? Have you measured and documented that? That would be very interesting.
baardmk

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Looks like Jeff posted something on FB along these lines http://www.jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_%26_As/E ... order.html
healthyvegan

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:32 pm

She wrote:

"In fact, even when I was only eating vegetables, it wasn’t uncommon for me to exceed 15% fat. If I also had beans that day, I could easily reach 20% fat (and that’s when I was zero oil, nuts, seeds, olives, etc.)

SO my “low fat” diet wasn’t very low fat after all if I was chronically overeating. "

What vegetables are 15% fat? Was she eating lots of avocado? Wait. That's a fruit, but it's called a fat on exchange lists. Like olives...

I don't know what to make of any of this. Truly. Color me skeptical that she was ever eating "only vegetables" and that those vegetables made her diet 15% fat.

https://www.lyon.edu/sites/default/file ... 0Lists.pdf

:duh:
AlwaysAgnes

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:41 pm

Soy bean is high in fat.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colonyofcells

Postby eXtremE » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm

baardmk wrote:eXtremE, are you kidding me? 1000 calories!? I know you're not tall, but..

And you're doing some aerobic exercise/strength training as well, right? Like 1hr worth average per day, or something, right?

Most males maybe have 2400-2600 expenditure at a reasonable weight. For normal, thin, not tall men, maybe 1600-1800.

But 1000-1200!? Have you measured and documented that? That would be very interesting.
I am not kidding baardmk....not quite sure what my body or metabolism is doing. I have eaten one time today. I did have about 6 frozen orange slices at noon. When I 1st started eating like this, I went from 165 down to 142. Since then, I have went back up to about 155 currently. I have been staying between 150-160 and I am 5'10" tall. I have never measured it precisely but I did post what I had for dinner today on that board. I simply get hungry between 5 and 6PM and I eat the one meal and I am good until about the same time the next day. It does seem like I would be a lot thinner than I currently am. I actually don't wanna be any thinner. My anxiety also causes me not to want to eat when it is bad.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:48 pm

colonyofcells wrote:Soy bean is high in fat.

That's a legume, not a vegetable. And she said when she ate beans her fat percent was 20. Point being she wrote that when she was eating only vegetables her diet was 15% fat. I don't see how that's possible.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby eXtremE » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 pm

@ baardmk , I worked out at my fitness center this morning for 1.5 hours. I don't lift really heavy but I did 5 sets / 15 reps / 145 LBS of flat bench presses today just to give you one example. I also squat the same amount. For cardio, I did one 20 min session on a stationary bike (about 5 miles) and another 20 minute session right before I ate dinner. Sometimes, the last session is done after dinner.
eXtremE

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:15 pm

I wish that we wouldn't link to these articles as they promote a feedback loop which makes the blog post more popular with search engines. This is clearly a ridiculous post that says absolutely nothing and then proceeds to sell some magical plan at the end. By making the simple complicated, people feel as though they need to sign up and drink the cool aid. The message: Eating a healthy diet and being trim is rocket science! But for $$$, I've got the answer. It never ceases to amaze me how we humans all have allergies, gut malabsorption problems (but still getting fatter all the time!), imbalanced hormones, emotional eating issues, etc. It's a wonder a species so delicate and suffering from nutritional problems is running rampant, overpopulating the planet at an alarming rate, and becoming more obese with each generation!

I was also amazed to find out that scales don't report back acurate weight and some nonsense about keeping a pair of pants handy that you never wash or actually wear in order to minitor weight loss. This is all the same type of magical thinking that Paleo advocates partake in (cholesterol doesn't matter and so on). We need to start walking by the car wrecks on the Internet without stopping and staring.
dailycarbs

Next

Return to The Lounge