Forks over Knives Diet and Amino Acids

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Forks over Knives Diet and Amino Acids

Postby JesusRod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Hi,

My name is Jesus, I am 20 years old, and I am very interested and intrigued in tying out the whole food and plant based food diet. I have some questions about the program though that I hope someone can answer for me. I am very active and consistently lift weights.
My questions are:

With this diet, how are important Amino Acids introduced in order to promote muscle growth and repairment of torn tissue due to strenuous workouts?

I am a slim guy, very lean, 5’8, 145ibs, and usually around 10-12% of body fat.
I am wondering if this diet is right for me?

Due to the low-fat nature, will this diet cause me to loose body fat down to dangerous levels?

It would be amazing if someone could help me out with this decision
JesusRod

Re: Forks over Knives Diet and Amino Acids

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:38 pm

This forum is mainly for the mcdougall diet. My guess is the forks over knives diet allows for more fat in the diet. There are probably athletes following the forks over knives diet. I think forks over knives diet follows the whole philosophy which avoids talking about isolated substances like fat except for the vitamin b12 supplement needed for a vegan diet. I don't bother talking about amino acids and fats except for maybe the essential fats. Easy to get omega 3 from flax seed, chia seed, etc. Easy to get omega 6 from unrefined vegan foods. Can get vitamin d from sunshine and or brands of mushrooms with 100% vitamin d. Can get iodine from tiny amounts of seaweeds. It is easy to get enough protein and fats for an unrefined vegan diet so there's really no need to worry about protein deficiency and fat deficiency. Bill Clinton used to use protein powders to get more protein but it is not necessary and can easily eat more beans. Even cooked mushrooms have protein.
colonyofcells

Postby JesusRod » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 pm

colonyofcells wrote:This forum is mainly for the mcdougall diet. My guess is the forks over knives diet allows for more fat in the diet. There are probably athletes following the forks over knives diet. I think forks over knives diet follows the whole philosophy which avoids talking about isolated substances like fat except for the vitamin b12 supplement needed for a vegan diet. I don't bother talking about amino acids and fats except for maybe the essential fats. Easy to get omega 3 from flax seed, chia seed, etc. Easy to get omega 6 from unrefined vegan foods. Can get vitamin d from sunshine and or brands of mushrooms with 100% vitamin d. Can get iodine from tiny amounts of seaweeds.

Thanks for replying! The diets are virtually the same. They both emphasize on excluding meats, and eating whole foods along with all your fruits and vegetables. My main motivation for trying this diet is stomach issues stemming from bacteria infection. I've been trying to get my stomach back on track, but never gave the diet change as much attention as I know I should have. Anyways, as I mentioned above, I maintain pretty active most of the time, but I don't want to loose more body fat due to the diet because it is already low as it is.
JesusRod

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:14 pm

There is a web site for vegan athletes :
http://www.organicathlete.org/
colonyofcells

Postby Sutra » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:30 am

Dr McDougall has a book about digestive issues that may be helpful. Here's a link:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/shop ... e-tune-up/

Its also available for kindle, etc.

If you eat enough food, and a high enough percentage of starches, you should be able to maintain your weight following McDougall.
Sutra

Postby dteresa » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:01 am

Are you talking about amino acids occurring naturally in whole foods or added protein powders. I doubt very much that you need these powders, but just extra calories.

I do remember reading somewhere that endurance athletes need a bit more protein (from food) but strength trainers do not. This was surprising to me but that is what I read and will try to find it somewhere.

didi
dteresa

Postby dailycarbs » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:09 pm

Jesus, the short answer is not to worry. You'll get all the complete protein you need and also will not lose weight or body fat if you eat enough calories. And since you're slim, young and active, you can eat all the approved foods as you like whereas some of us have to restrict them for weight gain reasons. If you do a basic search for something like plant based athletes or vegan athletes, you may be surprised and even astounded by their numbers and success stories. Here's a snippet.

http://engine2diet.com/question/can-i-b ... ne-2-diet/

Just ask Tony Gonzalez, the 247-pound tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs football team. For health reasons, Tony changed his diet after signing a five-year contract extension, making him the league’s highest paid tight end, and went on to break the NFL record for receptions by a tight end in 2008. His teammates have nicknamed him China Study after T. Colin Campbell’s book of the same name, which Gonzalez studied before changing his diet—and which you will soon be reading about.
Ask Ruth Heidrich, who in 1982 was diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer and cured herself by eating a low-fat, plant-strong diet. She has since won more than one thousand triathlons. Or ask Salim Stoudamire, the plant-eating point guard for the NBA Atlanta Hawks, who says that by the fourth quarter, when most players are starting to fade, he’s picking it up a notch. Or ask Martina Navratilova, the world’s winningest tennis player, who serves up plant-based foods exclusively. Or ask plant-devourer Dave Scott, my hero and six-time winner of the famed Hawaii Ironman triathlon.
Or better yet, try going plant-based yourself and see how much your own athletic performance improves.
dailycarbs

Postby healthyvegan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Too much amino acid is associated with shorter life spans.

http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(15)00186-5

Lowered intake of particular nutrients rather than of overall calories is also key, with protein and specific amino acids playing prominent roles.

If you are eating this way you will not be deficient in anything. If you want to build more muscle just eat more of the same foods on this program.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:59 pm

http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi

Some excerpts

Name: Avi R. Lehyani
Year of Birth: 1960
Height: 6'
Weight: 200 Lbs (91Kg) .Compete weight: 193 (88Kg)
Birthplace: France
Current Residence: Israel
Sports: Bicycling, WeightLifting

Why did you become vegan?
Reasons were ethical, health and responsibility towards the environment in that order. I Tried to become vegetarian already at age 13 but pressure from family and even family doctor did their thing and I reverted to meat eating shortly thereafter. At age 20, my then girlfriend, herself a semi-vegetarian, convinced me to do the right thing. I kept consuming eggs and dairy until a few years later (I then lived in VA), when after conversing with one of the PETA founders, I understood that was no need for dairy to keep strong bones, as I thought at the time, a victim of the dairy industry propaganda. I never turned back.

I have since "given up" all processed foods including cane sugar and I bake my own bread so at least I know what is in it for sure. I have to add that my family background drove me to behave ethically from early age. In fact my father, himself an ordained rabbi and ritual slaughterer always did his best to educate his children about "God" and of course the creation, so we always appreciated the living things around us.

How would you describe your nutrition program?
I am not a person inclined to culinary quests, I keep my diet to the most simple ingredients. My staple foods are whole wheat bread, brown rice, oats, and beans. I consume very little soy as I find it very hard to cook and the whole phytosterol controversy makes it suspect for the moment. I do not consume oils per se but I will always include fat containing foods like tahini, olives, avocado, nuts etc. I don't concern myself with calories except making sure I eat enough for the day. Vegetables are a must and always in quantity but I don't really look for the much more expensive organic kind.

So in other words:

Carbs 65%

Protein 20%

Fats 15%

Atkins is probably turning in his grave right now :-)

How would you describe your training program?
I am not a bodybuilder so I concentrate on strength. I consider proper training, a workout that is going to utilize the body as a unit and not as unconnected muscles. So there is almost never the so-called isolation exercises like preacher curl. Yet a few times a year I will perform extreme cheat speed curls partially using legs and trapezius with as much as 100kg. So in other words, Squat, Dead lift, Bench press, Standing military press and pullups (or pulldowns) are the "founding fathers". Of course I will add other significant exercises like barbell bent-over row, cable row, pull over, flies, upright dumbbell rows, heavy shrugs etc.. so I don't develop a lack of balance within the different muscles
What kind of supplements do you use if any, and why?
I tried creatine a few times and I can say it helped. Also, I tried a NOx formulation with no true effect except the permanent sensation of blood pumping through. I am not a supplement fan as I consider that if its not naturally in your food, then it's not meant to be ingested but of course I won't negate any possible aid that might help the athlete get to the next stage as long as the research proves its efficacy as well as its safety.

When asked by members what kind of supplement they should take, I just tell them to eat more. I think that for most people, especially newbies, the addition of protein powders of any kind is unnecessary. This said I realize that some will have difficulty to manage additional meals in an otherwise busy schedule and the easily prepared protein drinks can be effective.
GeoffreyLevens

Return to The Lounge