The Good, Bad and Ugly About Oils

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

The Good, Bad and Ugly About Oils

Postby Tim Bickel » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Very well put together by Rosane Oliveira:

http://tinyurl.com/ockvu9g

Trainer Tim
Tim Bickel

Re: The Good, Bad and Ugly About Oils

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:55 pm

It is easy for me to avoid oil bec. I pretty much boil most of my food like soups.
colonyofcells

Postby Daydream » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:01 am

This is a great article. Thanks for posting it.
Daydream

Postby dteresa » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:08 am

So why isn't the 2.5 gms fat in half a cup of oatmeal or the fat in the germ of other grains harmful and why does dr. Esselstyn allow a tablespoon or two of flaxseed?

There are 4.5 grms of fat in one teaspoon of olive oil and 3.5 in two tbs flaxseed. But doctor Esselstyn would not allow the use of one teaspoon of oil sprayed on vegies to oven roast them but would allow the flaxseed. Of course with flax you are getting fiber and other nutrients but the fat amount would be about the same. (There was one t1 diabetic on this group a while ago who would not eat oatmeal because of the fat content.)

I cannot find a whole grain wrap for sandwiches that is not made with oil that is soft enough to use as a wrap but some of these have the same amount of fat as in two tablespoons of flaxseed.

didi
dteresa

Postby sharonbikes » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:08 am

Our bodies need fat. Our bodies do better to extract the fat from the whole food rather than us swallow the already extracted fat like oil.

Sharon
sharonbikes

Postby Jumpstart » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:27 pm

The real danger of oils comes when they are repeatedly heated and cooled with every order of French fires, chicken or anything else fried in commercial locations. HNE's are formed and cause damage to the body, cancer, type 2, etc. There was research done on this subject in 2005 and presented to the Edible Oil Engineers convention in Salt Lake City, Utah in 2012. Obviously it was not well received and the response was...we'll turn it over to the government and see what they have to say. Here is a link to the research. There are also a number of articles on-line about this issue. This research was the final confirmation for my DH that oils have no place in the human diet.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/05/050502190054.htm
Jumpstart

Postby healthyvegan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Everyone needs to follow UCD Integrative Medicine & Rosane Oliveira on Facebook & like and share her amazing posts. http://www.ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2 ... bout-oils/

She is doing an amazing job! Also, the comment sections on her posts really get action & she is amazing at responding to people! Added to my Hero list!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Katydid » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:35 am

dteresa wrote:So why isn't the 2.5 gms fat in half a cup of oatmeal or the fat in the germ of other grains harmful and why does dr. Esselstyn allow a tablespoon or two of flaxseed?

There are 4.5 grms of fat in one teaspoon of olive oil and 3.5 in two tbs flaxseed. But doctor Esselstyn would not allow the use of one teaspoon of oil sprayed on vegies to oven roast them but would allow the flaxseed. Of course with flax you are getting fiber and other nutrients but the fat amount would be about the same. (There was one t1 diabetic on this group a while ago who would not eat oatmeal because of the fat content.)

I cannot find a whole grain wrap for sandwiches that is not made with oil that is soft enough to use as a wrap but some of these have the same amount of fat as in two tablespoons of flaxseed.

didi

The fat found in a whole plant like flaxseed or olives is protected from free-radical oxidation by the fiber and phytonutrients found within the seed or fruit. Once extracted the oil is exposed to air, light and heat without those protective properties. Instead of being a healthful (if limited) addition to one's diet, it becomes a dangerous free-radical source. Even if you substitute calorie for calorie. Free radical oxidation (rancidity) starts immediately after extraction (there's a reason flaxseed oil comes in a brown, refrigerated bottle).

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:13 am

sharonbikes wrote:Our bodies need fat. Our bodies do better to extract the fat from the whole food rather than us swallow the already extracted fat like oil.

Yeah, people will all agree with you on the first statement, even though they have no direct experience. They will say "But our bodies need fat", kind of like saying "Jesus wears tunics" -- if an idea is repeated often enough, it will become enshrined as Common Knowledge. "Don't depict Jesus wearing a t-shirt, he only likes off-white tunics!" Anyways, forgive my sacrilege -- I amuse myself too much some days!

What I *really* wanted to say was, I always like one of the things that Dr. Klaper says about sodium, which applies perfectly to fatty acids: In one of his videos on Vimeo, Dr. Klaper says, "When we digest plant foods in their whole, pure form, we digest all the building blocks of healthy cells as they exist in nature, and in doing so, we digest all the building blocks for putting together healthy cells in our own bodies."

So, the sodium content that exists in a stalk of broccoli, or an ear of corn, gives us the exact correct building blocks for building a brain cell, blood cell, or muscle cell in our bodies, just as if we were to dismantle a home brick by brick and part by part, and use those parts to build a slightly different home on a slightly different property -- it would nevertheless contain all the pieces and parts that were necessary.

The same is likely true of fat content -- that a cell (and we all remember "cells" from biology, right? A cell is a cell, at its most basic level): the fat content that exists in a stalk of broccoli, or an ear of corn, provides us with the building blocks (including amino acids) to build a cell of cartilage, bone marrow, or toenail.

Anyways, I just thought I'd point that metaphor from Dr. Klaper! I do think that it can be reassuring to realize that the body can take building blocks from whole foods, and use them to for any new construction or repair projects in the human body.

It also points to the fact that to a large extent, humans are capable of taking apart the components of animal flesh -- however inhumane that may be in the modern landscape -- and using them to re-build our bodies. However, processed foods are the opposite -- a Twinkie was never a living being and does not have the components to build from. So, if you are going to eat crap, it would seem that eating cow brain is preferable to buying processed food from the Goodies Aisle of your local Whole Foods. Something worth thinkin about!
roundcoconut

Return to The Lounge