blood pressure and caffeine

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

blood pressure and caffeine

Postby flabingo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:23 pm

I have been on a plant based diet for three years, and my cholesterol has improved significantly, from 45/161 with a statin to 52/58. My blood pressure also improved from 140/90 with Crestor to 117/79, without Crestor. I was never overweight, and my main reason was health. I have never had this many good BP numbers every day. I blamed the good numbers on my cholesterol.
The one thing that I forgot about was the fact that I gave up my small amount of coffee (two cups). Reading Mayo they suggest that in some people even a small amount can make a difference as we get older. I am 81. I also did not drink any caffeinated drinks like Coke, before or after.
Curious what others think, or experienced.
flabingo

Re: blood pressure and caffeine

Postby Drew_ab » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Caffeine and bp seems to be an individual thing. It can affect some people adversely and others not at all. I can have up to about 100mg per day of caffiene with no effect. But when I was drinking 2-3 cups of coffee daily, my bp did start to elevate slightly.
Drew_ab

Return to The Lounge