Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gets quad bypass.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gets quad bypass.

Postby SeekKnowledge » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:21 pm

He had the surgery on his 68th birthday.

"NBA Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar underwent quadruple coronary bypass surgery Thursday at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, the hospital said Friday.

The Lakers great was diagnosed with cardiovascular disease earlier in the week.

A press release from UCLA said, "At this time, Abdul-Jabbar would like to thank his surgical team and the medical staff at UCLA, his alma mater, for the excellent care he has received. He is looking forward to getting back to his normal activities soon."

Dr. Richard Shemin, who performed the operation, said Abdul-Jabbar was expected to make a full recovery."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-kareem-abdul-jabbar-heart-surgery-20150417-story.html#navtype=outfit
SeekKnowledge

Re: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar gets quad bypass.

Postby Yomom » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:59 am

When I saw the news, I thought to myself "well, he ate the Standard American Diet (SAD)".
Best wishes to KA-J for a speedy recovery.
Yomom

Postby Skip » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:23 am

SeekKnowledge wrote:The Lakers great was diagnosed with cardiovascular disease earlier in the week.

Instead of rushing into a bypass operation (the medical community scares you into it), he should of talked to Dr. McDougall or Esselstyn or Ornish or Goldhammer to look into alternatives. I wonder if he was given the option to radically change his diet in lieu of this operation?
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby viv » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:32 am

Skip wrote:
SeekKnowledge wrote:The Lakers great was diagnosed with cardiovascular disease earlier in the week.

Instead of rushing into a bypass operation (the medical community scares you into it), he should of talked to Dr. McDougall or Esselstyn or Ornish or Goldhammer to look into alternatives. I wonder if he was given the option to radically change his diet in lieu of this operation?

Well, you know he didn't!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:58 am

KAJ is just a well known sports celeb. Over 500,000 of these type operations are done yearly. Many can and should be treated with lifestyle modifications instead of CABG surgery, but some of these operations must be done to save lives bc there is not enough time to make the necessary lifestyle changes. Ofc even after the operation if you live through it, you need to make the necessary lifestyle changes or be faced with a second operation at some point in your cardiac future. I wish him a full recovery and a long life. Best big man IMO to ever play the game.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby dteresa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:11 am

I am bitterly angry that my mother, at the age of 77 was persuaded by her cardiologist to undergo by pass and given no diet advice either before or after surgery other than the standard AHA advice which she followed to the letter. She developed dementia and the last fourteen years of her life were difficult and painful for her and for the family. Repairing the cracked ribs was not done correctly, which eventually her family doctor admitted and she was in pain the rest of her life.

Her surgery was elective, not the result of any emergency. I know now she would have been a perfect candidate as one of Esselstyn's patients and if we had known, could have helped her because she would have been one hundred percent compliant with the eating plan and my dad did his very best to prepare those AHA meals for her, even complying himself so that they would be eating the same thing.

My mother had her surgery in 1991 and nothing has changed. Doctors still say that heart problems and angina are just a result of age and there is nothing you can do about aging. And still the same AHA diet is taught to heart patients.

didi
dteresa

Postby SeekKnowledge » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:23 am

If he didn't know about WFPB diet before there is at least a chance
he will learn about it now.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/15/tn-healthways-idUSnBw156236a+100+BSW20140115

Jan 15, 2014

"Healthways (NASDAQ: HWAY) and the UCLA Health System have entered into an agreement to make the UCLA Health System an approved provider of the Dr. Dean Ornish Program for Reversing Heart Disease™ in southern California. The program helps individuals improve what they eat, how they respond to stress, how much activity they engage in, and how much support they receive as part of a program designed to prevent, treat and reverse heart disease by effecting lifestyle changes"

Since he is so high profile UCLA will want him (them) to be a total success. So I expect
they will give him access to everything that can that can facilitate that. I hope so for his sake,
but we cannot be sure. We all know there are cardiologists at The Cleveland Clinic that call
Dr. Esselstyn "too extreme".

We know he has never been overweight. We know he certainly got his exercise.
So I would agree that in this case, probably, "It's The Food"
SeekKnowledge

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:43 pm

I also think genetics plays a role but it is mostly the food when it comes to CHD. Look at the great cardiovascular surgeon Denton Cooley who is about 92 or 93 now I think of the THI who still as far as I know eats several eggs for breakfast each morning and is still going strong. Most of us have to make our luck but there are some ppl where the food literally does not seem to matter. These are very fortunate ppl IMO bc they win the genetic lottery. They get to indulge in all the things that cause premature death and illness in the majority of us. Look at the longest lived ppl ever. None of them were vegans.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Return to The Lounge