Possible Gluten Intolerance

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Possible Gluten Intolerance

Postby indy107 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:09 pm

I have been having some pretty bad headaches lately, and a lot more frequently. They come on strong and are usually towards the back of my head. The only thing that usually helps is 800mg of Ibuprofen - sometimes with al Aleve as well. Several weeks ago I missed an entire 3 day week at work they were so bad, and daily.

I went to see Dr Craig (McDougall) and he was unfortunately out - but his assistant ordered a MRI. I'm happy to say THAT was negative (and the most bizarre experience in my life!). They also gave me some muscle relaxers - which help but pretty much knock me out for 12 hrs minimum.

Went back for my followup and DID see Dr Craig, but unfortunately he had no answers either.

Started treating myself by looking up headache symptoms, and came across this article on Gluten Intolerance.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/10- ... erant.html

I've always poo poo'd the whole 'gluten free' fad, but I DID have a lot of these symptoms that I normally would chalk up as just 'life'. Digestive issues? We eat a lot of FIBER, so that's normal for us I thought. Fatigue? Brain Fog? Well I do work nights! Inflammation and creeky joints? I am 52 so isn't that expected? But when you put all these so called 'symptoms' together, and add the chronic headaches…..it made me wonder.

So I've been trying an 'almost' gluten free diet for the last 4 days and I'm happy (and surprised) to say that the headaches seem to be gone. Coincidence? Placebo? Something to it?

Not sure. I know it's really to soon to tell but I will try this for 30 days and report back. I say 'almost' gluten free as I did have some leftover black bean/sweet potato burritos for dinner this morning when I got home from work, on flour tortillas. And…..woke up with a mild headache.

Maybe I AM gluten intolerant? I guess we'll see.

Anybody have similar experiences?
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Re: Possible Gluten Intolerance

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:56 pm

If it has been only a few days, it is probably the placebo effect.
colonyofcells

Postby Ginger » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:59 pm

My heart rate goes up significantly (plus pounding heart) I feel very anxious and irritable for about 24 hours. I have tested this over and over again, and for sure it is the wheat or something in it.
Ginger

Postby wellnesscoach » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:09 pm

No no no no. You're crazy. Making it all up. Doesn't matter what reams of clinical data show, this is all made up. It for sure is the placebo effect. Its amazing how the placebo effect of stopping gluten can heal depression, hypoglycemia, intestinal problems, allergies/asthma/eczema, schizphrenia and bipolar, chronic fatigue, tachacardia and yes, even headaches. But for sure, those are all the placebo effect. :?
wellnesscoach

Postby Jumpstart » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Suddenly, after 52 years you've become gluten intolerant? I'd look in another direction.
Jumpstart

Postby indy107 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:18 pm

I know it sounds strange..but I do recognize and admit that since going plant based I DID eat a lot more bread/flour. So maybe?
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Postby Jumpstart » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:26 pm

How about stress at work or home?
Jumpstart

Postby Timaca » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:12 am

Food intolerance (of any kind) is worth checking into if you are having unexplained physical symptoms. I went on an elimination diet 2 years ago and felt remarkably better. As I have tried to add various foods back in, I have been shocked at my body's response. Headache is usually the first symptom I get...but usually only if the food is high in histamine. I also get a spacey, disconnected feeling. Joint pain can also occur. So can GI bloat.

Just recently I tried adding in ground flax seed. Within a week my right wrist and right knee were giving me pain. I stopped the flax seed and the pain went away. I even did some hiking where I was scrambling over boulders, tweaking my wrists, knees and ankles....and no pain.

So, yes, you can have an intolerance to wheat....or any food for that matter. I have a histamine intolerance and probably an intolerance to benzoates. I don't do well with grains (although I will retest quinoa soon) or legumes (although I will try red lentils soon).

Check out my latest blog post on my food intolerance journey.

Good luck. I hope you found the answer to your headaches, indy.

Best,
Timaca

Postby Timaca » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:14 am

Oh, and by the way indy, you have a great blog! :)

Best,
Last edited by Timaca on Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timaca

Postby viv » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:43 am

You could very well be Indy. Trust your body and if your headaches are getting better eliminating gluten that's great.

My brother in law had digestive problems over the years and then became very ill with hairy cell leukemia. He had two bouts of it and the last time he was very ill and while in Stanford Hospital (yea you would think being treated at Stanford they would know better!) an INTERN said has he been tested for celiac disease? Well they tested him and you guessed it, full blown celiac disease that he had had for years and now in his sixties! Now on a strict gluten free diet he has made a miraculous recovery. Him and his wife now have a strict gluten free household and both of them are gluten free and he has never been healthier.

Btw he is of Irish descent and as you know the Irish are particularly prone to celiac.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby AnnaSpanna » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:57 am

For anyone on this board who thinks you can't suddenly develop food intolerances you don't know what it's like so please don't think you know what we're going through.
It can and does happen, and often later in life.
Speaking from experience.
Multiple food issues, including gluten and/or whatever it is in bread that gives me chronic headaches. Wish it wasn't true but it is.
Please walk a mile in our shoes before you judge.
It would be very much appreciated.
AnnaSpanna

Postby Dougalling » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:36 am

With GMO manipulation of foods, you never know what or when things will change so one can develop a sensitivy to a food at any time.

I am gluten sensitive.

I'm sensitive to coffee now. DOH!
Coffee makes me angry. Not easy to anger but full blown angry over nothing. Example: I will be by myself, reading a book, and I suddenly feel so angry, like I've never felt such anger in my life, and all because I had coffee. It's the weirdest thing I've ever experienced.
Dougalling

Postby Vegankit » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:27 am

You can develop a food allergy or intolerance at any age so it's always wise to consider diet.

If you do have a gluten intolerance, you should be aware that gluten in is a lot of surprising places such as soy sauce - you have to really read your labels and know all the catch phrases for gluten (wheat. barley etc). And it may not be gluten, it can be something else in wheat.

The best way to test is the elimination diet. Another way is to completely eliminate all gluten from your diet for a few weeks (similar to what you are doing), then re-introduce it back into your diet and watch for return of the headache. It helps to keep notes of symptoms/diet so you can watch for a pattern.

Hopefully, if food is your trigger, you can figure it out and remove the offending item from your diet. Good luck.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to The Lounge