Merkin: Cheese and Yogurt May Help to Prevent Heart Attacks

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Merkin: Cheese and Yogurt May Help to Prevent Heart Attacks

Postby brec » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:10 am

By Dr. Gabe Merkin at http://www.drmirkin.com/
---------------------------------------------
A new study shows that yogurt, cheese and other fermented dairy products may help to prevent heart attacks (Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, April 2015;63 (10):2830-9). People who ate a lot of cheese had very high levels of butyrate in their stool and urine and much lower levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. This means that the fermented dairy products are being converted by bacteria in the intestines to butyrate that prevents food from forming the bad LDL cholesterol that is associated with increased heart attack risk. The authors believe that they have shown that fermented dairy products encourage the growth of healthful intestinal bacteria that may help to prevent heart attacks. Another study of 27,000 people, ages 45 to 74, shows that eating cheese and yogurt lowers risk of type-2 diabetes by 25%, while meat increases risk (Am J Clin Nutr, April 2015).

How can cheese and yogurt be beneficial when other studies show that milk is associated with increased risk for heart attacks? Yogurt, cheese and other fermented milk products have not been associated with increased risk for diabetes, heart attacks or bone loss (Am J Clin Nutr, 2014;99:1235S-42S), probably because they have very low levels of lactose and galactose (J Hum Nutr Diet, 2009;22:400-8). Fermenting milk breaks down the galactose so that almost no galactose is left in cheese or yogurt. Indeed, several studies have shown that cheese reduces blood levels of the "bad" LDL cholesterol when compared to butter with the same fat content.

Why Milk May Increase Risk for Diabetes and Heart Attacks
We know that D-galactose, a sugar found in milk, causes the same oxidative damage and chronic inflammation that is associated with diabetes, heart attacks, certain cancers and bone loss (Biogerontology, 2004;5:317-25). The people who drank milk had increased urine levels of 8-iso-PGF2a (a biomarker of oxidative stress) and serum interleukin 6 (a major inflammatory biomarker). Chronic exposure of mice, rats, and Drosophila flies to galactose caused their cells to develop signs associated with aging: shorter telomeres and DNA damage Journal of Neuroscience Research, 2006;84(3):647-654). Their cells had signs of aging: shorter telomeres and DNA damage.

A study from Sweden followed more than 60,000 women (aged 39-74) for 22 years and 45,000 men (aged 45-79) for 13 years (British Medical Journal, October 28, 2014; 349:g6015) and found that:
* Women who drank three or more glasses of milk daily had twice the death rate of those who drank less than a glass daily and also suffered increased risk for total body bone fractures and hip fractures.
* Men who drank three or more glasses daily had a ten percent increase in death rate over those who drank less than a glass daily.
* For every glass of milk, the death rate increased 15 percent in women and three percent in men. Neither the men or the women received any protection from fractures by drinking milk.
Another study showed that reducing milk consumption is associated with reduced heart attacks and heart attack deaths (Journal of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine, Sept 1, 2002).

Cheese May Explain the "French Paradox"
For more than 50 years the medical community has struggled to explain the "French Paradox" -- why people in southern France have a low rate of heart attacks, even though they eat a high-fat diet. Researchers tried to explain the apparent protection with the fact that these people drank a lot of wine. Several recent studies have questioned whether alcohol in any form offers any protection from heart attacks. The studies that show an association between drinking small amounts of alcohol and reduced risk for heart attacks all include former drinkers in the group of nondrinkers (BMJ, 2015 Feb 10;350:h384). Former drinkers include people who were forced to give up drinking because they have had heart attacks, strokes, liver disease, alcoholism, depression and other life-shortening and heart-attack provoking diseases. This means that the non-drinker groups were full of people who were already sick, so no really good data show that drinking alcohol at any level prevents heart attacks. Taking more than two drinks a day and binge drinking have both been shown to increase risk for heart attacks and heart failure (Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation & Prevention, May/June 2014;34(3):159-171). I speculate that instead of wine, cheese may be the explanation for the "French Paradox". The traditional French diet includes plenty of cheese and very little milk.

All Sugared Drinks Can Harm
Sugared drinks, including milk, are associated with increased risk for obesity, diabetes, inflammatory-related pain, heart attacks, certain cancers, and premature death. Eating or drinking sugar can cause a high rise in blood sugar that can damage all of the cells in your body. Sugar in drinks causes a much higher rise in blood sugar levels than sugar in food. When food reaches your stomach, the pyloric sphincter muscle at the end of the stomach closes and only a liquid soup is allowed to pass into your intestines. Beverages pass very quickly into your intestines and then into your bloodstream, while solid foods stay a long time in your stomach. An 8-ounce glass of two percent low-fat milk contains:
* 122 calories, more than an 8-ounce glass of soda,
* more than three teaspoons of sugar, and
* more than the current daily recommendations for sugar for children.
Chocolate milk and other milk-based beverages often have even more sugar added to make them taste better.

Yogurt and other fermented dairy products do not need to be classified as sugared drinks because the fermentation process breaks down galactose (the main sugar in the milk from which they are made). However, check the labels to make sure that other sugars have not been added.

What These Studies Mean for You
These studies do not prove that milk causes diabetes or heart attacks, or that cheese and yogurt help to prevent them. However, they raise questions that suggest that you should limit the amount of milk that you drink, and that cheese and yogurt may be beneficial.
brec

Re: Merkin: Cheese and Yogurt May Help to Prevent Heart Atta

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:19 am

There are blue zones that probably ate some cheese and yogurt so to avoid appearing extremist, I try not to demonize foods. My personal belief (based on the long history of healthy vegans since the 1940s) is beans and other fermented vegan foods are probably better than these animal products for health. I enjoy fermented foods like natto, tempeh, etc. We do have to warn others that overconsumption of cheese and sweetened yogurts is not healthy. Americans tend to overconsume everything in unhealthy supersized amounts.
colonyofcells

Postby bbq » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:31 pm

Food sources of fat may clarify the inconsistent role of dietary fat intake for incidence of type 2 diabetes
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2015/04/01/ajcn.114.103010

More good news about bad habits, somehow that's published on April 1st?
bbq

Postby dteresa » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:34 pm

I am wondering. If cheese reduces the amount of bad cholesterol (LDL) compared to butter with the same amount of fat, how much does it reduce LDL compared with a diet of fruits, vegies, starches and beans?

I also have questions about yogurt that is in the stores today. Years ago with both commercial yogurt and the yogurt I made at home using some commercial yogurt as a starter, the taste was very sour. Sour enough for those who were not used to it to make a face like they would with juice from a lemon. Then, at least a few years ago when I was still eating it, the taste was very mild, almost sweet and to me was not as good as what I used to buy. So something is different.

As a diabetic and former yogurt and cheese eater with a dislike for milk, I really doubt the claim that milk and cheese can lower the risk of diabetes unless perhaps, it replaces beef or other meat. The masai, bye the way who, at least traditionally ate large amounts of fermented milk were found to have blockages and plaque like any one else who eats animal food and fats but they also have been blessed (or evolved and/or adapted to their diet) with genes that result in larger arteries, thereby postponing the point at which too much plaque prevents adequate blood flow. I also believe they are not particularly long lived.

But if reproducible long term studies prove that adding cheese and (sour) yogurt to an otherwise fat free wpf diet is the most healthful way to eat, then I am on board because I love the stuff. But I hope they hurry up because at my age I am afraid that by the time the results are in I won't remember my own name much less what cheese and yogurt are.

didi

edit. I ate lots of full fat cheese but usually fat free yogurt.
Last edited by dteresa on Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dteresa

Postby Katydid » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Know what else breaks down in the intestines to form butyrate? Beans :D

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby dteresa » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:38 pm

Thanks, Kate. I think I'll stick with the beans.

didi
dteresa

Postby brec » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:34 pm

dteresa wrote:... As a diabetic and former yogurt and cheese eater with a dislike for milk, I really doubt the claim that milk and cheese can lower the risk of diabetes ...

The article claims possible healthfulness only for fermented dairy products, not about milk:
Merkin wrote:How can cheese and yogurt be beneficial when other studies show that milk is associated with increased risk for heart attacks? ... [subhead:]Why Milk May Increase Risk for Diabetes and Heart Attacks
brec

Postby dteresa » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:42 pm

I was never a milk drinker even as a kid but I discovered yogurt and ate lots of cheese. Just like the taste. It is interesting that only full fat yogurt works. Not fat free. Wonder why.

didi
dteresa

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:00 pm

There are certainly some types of fermented cheese that look and taste funny like blue cheese. For fermentation, the fermenting life forms I heard eat the sugars so I am not sure why fat makes any difference in the fermentation process.
colonyofcells

Postby Ern2Win » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:25 pm

brec wrote:By Dr. Gabe Merkin at http://www.drmirkin.com/
---------------------------------------------

Cheese May Explain the "French Paradox"
For more than 50 years the medical community has struggled to explain the "French Paradox" -- why people in southern France have a low rate of heart attacks, even though they eat a high-fat diet. Researchers tried to explain the apparent protection with the fact that these people drank a lot of wine. Several recent studies have questioned whether alcohol in any form offers any protection from heart attacks. The studies that show an association between drinking small amounts of alcohol and reduced risk for heart attacks all include former drinkers in the group of nondrinkers (BMJ, 2015 Feb 10;350:h384). Former drinkers include people who were forced to give up drinking because they have had heart attacks, strokes, liver disease, alcoholism, depression and other life-shortening and heart-attack provoking diseases. This means that the non-drinker groups were full of people who were already sick, so no really good data show that drinking alcohol at any level prevents heart attacks. Taking more than two drinks a day and binge drinking have both been shown to increase risk for heart attacks and heart failure (Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation & Prevention, May/June 2014;34(3):159-171). I speculate that instead of wine, cheese may be the explanation for the "French Paradox". The traditional French diet includes plenty of cheese and very little milk.

Well, this just goes to show you it really depends on which studies you review. I do not believe his speculation that cheese is the explanation for the "French Paradox". The following study I believe correctly identified the cause of the French Paradox:

1. Higher consumption of vegetables
2. Lower consumption of milk and butterfat, replaced with vegetable oils.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8252690

Differences in Coronary Mortality Can Be
Explained by Differences in Cholesterol and
Saturated Fat Intakes in 40 Countries but
Not in France and Finland

A Paradox

Sabine M. Artaud-Wild, BS, RD; Sonja L. Connor, MS, RD;
Gary Sexton, PhD; William E. Connor, MD

Background. For decades, the coronary heart disease (CHD) mortality rate has been four or more times
higher in Finland than in France despite comparable intakes of dietary cholesterol and saturated fat. A
potential answer to this paradox is provided by this study of 40 countries and the analyses of other
nutrients in the diets besides cholesterol and saturated fat.

Methods and Results. CHD death rates for men aged 55 to 64 years were derived from the World Health
Organization annual vital statistics. Dietary intakes were gathered from the Food and Agriculture
Organization of the United Nations database. Forty countries at various levels of economic development
and 40 dietary variables were investigated, including a lipid score that combined the intakes of cholesterol
and saturated fat (Cholesterol-Saturated Fat Index (CSIJ). The CSI was significantly and positively
related to CHD mortality in the 40 countries. The countries with low CSIs had low CHD death rates.
Countries with high CSIs had a wide range of CHD death rates. France, Finland, and other Western
industrialized countries had similar CSIs. After adjusting for cholesterol and saturated fat, milk and
many components of milk (butterfat, milk protein, calcium from milk, and riboflavin) and total calcium
remained positively related to CHD mortality for all 40 countries. There were differences in the
consumption of these foods and nutrients in France and Finland. Milk and butterfat (fat from milk,
cream, cheese, and butter) consumption was higher in Finland than in France. The consumption of plant
foods, recently shown to be protective against CHD (vegetables and vegetable oils containing monounsaturated
and polyunsaturated fatty acids), was greater in France than in Finland.

Conchusions. Over the years, France and Finland, with similar intakes of cholesterol and saturated fat,
consistently have had very different CHI) mortality rates. This paradox may be explained as follows. Given a
high intake of cholesterol and saturated fat, the country in which people also consume more plant foods,
including small amounts of liquid vegetable oils, and more vegetables (more antioxidants) had lower rates of
CHD mortality. On the other hand, milk and butterfat were associated with increased CHD mortality, possibly
through their effects on thrombosis as well as on atherosclerosis. (Ciulaion. 1993;88:2771-2779.)
Ern2Win

Return to The Lounge