Bill Clinton still eating BBQ

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Bill Clinton still eating BBQ

Postby dteresa » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Obama never had heart disease and by pass surgery after which stenting was needed. Can make quite a difference in one's attitude. If Mr. Clinton really is sticking to the wfpb diet he is a lot smarter than the people in my cardiac rehab class who refuse to give up the SAD. He learned this on his own or perhaps from Ornish. He certainly did not learn this woe from his own rehab or from his surgeons who proclaimed that there was nothing he could have done to prevent the by pass. Heart disease is just a result of getting older.

I think I did once read that he said he eats some fish. And I heard him say he has protein powder. But if he does stray from this woe, sure as shootin people will say a wfpb diet doesn't work any better than any other diet.

didi
dteresa

Postby Taggart » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:05 pm

Any interview I've seen with Bill Clinton the last few months, like others have noticed, he says he occasionally eats a small portion of fish, but other than that sticks to eating vegan foods. So far, aside from some speculated news reporting, I've seen no substantiated evidence that he, himself, has gone low carb Paleo or similar.
Taggart

Postby Jumpstart » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:31 pm

Here is a TV interview with Bill on the Rachael Ray show where he talks about going Paleo with Dairy yet, and why he gave up being a vegan. It looks like it was done right after the start of the year.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1799807/ex-vegan-bill-clinton-talks-paleo-low-carb-diet-and-hillary-for-president-is-she-delaying-campaign-video/
Jumpstart

Postby dteresa » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:13 pm

The above is very recent.

didi
dteresa

Postby Jack Monzon » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:20 pm

Those of you defending Clinton: Do you think those are veggie burgers he's flipping?
Jack Monzon

Postby dstewart » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:18 pm

Could we please get off this "he's too smart to eat meat/go paleo/give up veganism" line about Clinton?

There are plenty of "smart" people--intelligent people--who eat meat, even paleo. They're not necessarily right about everything (I'm trying to think of the last time I was right about everything--I think it was this morning), but that doesn't mean they're not smart. Eating a WFPB or vegan diet by itself does not mean that one is smart.

Clinton is cunning, a relentless and bullying liar, and of perhaps something more than average intelligence. He's not extraordinarily smart, and he's not a mouthbreather. But his diet tells us nothing about whether he's "too smart." Neither does trying to figure out whether he's playing the angles for his wife's presidential run, or what angles he's playing.
dstewart

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:41 pm

I also watch paleo diet videos from their annual meeting and the paleo people are mostly highly educated rich people who can afford pasture raised animals and they are not impressed by the health claims of poor people like me who eat starch and beans. The paleo diet videos in youtube are under ahs14 for 2014 by AncestryFoundation.
colonyofcells

Postby eXtremE » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:53 pm

Taggart wrote:Any interview I've seen with Bill Clinton the last few months, like others have noticed, he says he occasionally eats a small portion of fish, but other than that sticks to eating vegan foods. So far, aside from some speculated news reporting, I've seen no substantiated evidence that he, himself, has gone low carb Paleo or similar.
Ditto, this is what I have seen and heard also. Bill is a very smart man. His wife Hillary is even smarter. That is why they will both be back in the white house come 2016. :D
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Jack Monzon » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:31 am

dstewart wrote:Could we please get off this "he's too smart to eat meat/go paleo/give up veganism" line about Clinton?

There are plenty of "smart" people--intelligent people--who eat meat, even paleo. They're not necessarily right about everything (I'm trying to think of the last time I was right about everything--I think it was this morning), but that doesn't mean they're not smart. Eating a WFPB or vegan diet by itself does not mean that one is smart.

Clinton is cunning, a relentless and bullying liar, and of perhaps something more than average intelligence. He's not extraordinarily smart, and he's not a mouthbreather. But his diet tells us nothing about whether he's "too smart." Neither does trying to figure out whether he's playing the angles for his wife's presidential run, or what angles he's playing.

Well put.

People love to believe good things about their bad heroes.
Jack Monzon

Postby Wildapple » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:02 am

When the general public hears something like the Clinton story the message they will get is that a wfpb diet is not sustainable long-term. That is a very sad take-away.
Wildapple

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:02 am

Many anti-Clinton bashers here IC, but not me. I love the Clintons and will be happy to see them occupy the white house again. Look at some of the Republican clowns who want to be president.

Mike Huckabee - enough already, this huckster makes me sick.
Ted Cruz = ROTFLMAO :D
Rand Paul if I can't be president, can I still keep my senate job plz.
Marco Rubio = lightweight amateur (never gonna happen in 2016)
Ben Carson = what a joke - no political credentials
Jeb Bush maybe their 2nd best hope, but another Bush!
Donald Trump (again) - what a clown
Scott Walker = maybe their 1st best hope but a prez. with no college degree (LOL)
Rick Perry and Rick Santorum possibly again, gimme a break!
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby scooterpie » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:05 pm

The DLetterman video that came up on there was a little old compared to this from 1.26.15 on C-SPAN: http://www.c-span.org/video/?323775-1/c ... ers-summit, which if you go to the 1:01 (1hr, 1min) mark, notice when he changes microphone hand and you can see his left hand is shaking. (I watched it on TV, so it may have been more apparent.)

He looks old and haggard and small and to me not healthy at all. His mouth is dry and it affects his speech, but his speech seems to be affected as well--by what I don't know. It's a shame, he's only 68. Could be the result of progression of the "pumphead" effect of the on-pump bypass surgery. He could have the early signs of Parkinson's or perhaps he has a familial tremor.

Why aren't you all jumping on DL for not being McD/Ess/Orn--he has, arguably, had the biggest megaphone of anyone. Or Rachael Ray or whatever celeb with a megaphone. These are celebs and basically actors. You don't know what they're like in their non-celeb existence, nor should you really care. If you want to follow the public lives of celebs--well, I think that's just a stupid thing to waste your time with.

In other news: droz will be addressing (on a show of his next week) the letter calling for him to resign his position at Columbia. The worst thing you can say is that all these celebs/people whatever (all of us) would like to have it both ways. droz wants lots more money today than he had yesterday and still retain his faculty position.

An interesting article on droz: How an award-winning doctor turned away from science and embraced fame by Julia Belluz on April 16, 2015. Dr Green in the article defends the man, but hasn't watched one second of his show.
scooterpie

Postby eXtremE » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:01 pm

You are seeing something I do not see. Clinton to me looks good and is sharp as ever. Hillary is even sharper and they will own 2016, watch and see, LOL!
eXtremE

Postby Thrasymachus » Tue May 05, 2015 9:39 am

John McDougall wrote:You will see it in Bill's face (and chin and belly) when he starts eating BBQ. I believe he is too smart a person for suicide (his own health or his wife's politics).

With all due respect, if Bill Clinton is really eating a 100% low-fat vegan diet or an almost 100% one, but just pretending to eat meat more than he really does that actually makes it more morally and ethically disgusting if he is pretending to eat something he doesn't and knows is unhealthy just for the political career of his wife. As a public figure if he is promoting a bad example on purpose for personal gain -- that is worse than "do as I say, not as I do"(as positive internal change is often hard). That is just plain malicious.
Last edited by Thrasymachus on Tue May 05, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thrasymachus

Postby f1jim » Tue May 05, 2015 9:44 am

Agreed!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge