Bill Clinton still eating BBQ

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bill Clinton still eating BBQ

Postby Jumpstart » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:22 pm

CNN had a short vid of the Clinton's favorite BBQ joint. When the owner was asked about him being a vegan, the owner states that Bill made them swear they would not reveal that he still ate their BBQ. I guess he lied to the ex-president. And, I guess Bill is still up to his old tricks. How can you trust a Clinton?

http://money.cnn.com/video/smallbusiness/2015/04/07/hillary-and-bill-clintons-favorite-bbq.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=HP_River
Jumpstart

Re: Bill Clinton still eating BBQ

Postby dailycarbs » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:43 pm

It's unclear whether he's eaten there after becoming vegan (fairly recent). Even if he has, without knowledge of frequency and portions it doesn't mean much. Politicians often make such stops for well, political reasons. If he stops in once a year and takes a bite of a sandwich, I doubt it would affect his health. He's also made positive statements about the new doc Hillary is following. Again, I don't take this as evidence of anything. Additionally, Clinton has stated several times that he cheats on occasion (a bite of turkey on thanksgiving was mentioned in one interview iirc). I don't get the sense that he is an ethical vegan but rather it's heart health for him. By the looks of him (last photos I've seen), I think he's sticking to the diet 95%+ of the time. At that age, it's hard to fake it because the body gives you away. Look at how Dr. M. and Dr. E. look and compare to Sally Fallon or any other long term low carber. I can pick a heavy meat and fat eater out of line up at 100 paces with one eye closed and no glasses (because of all the carrots I eat :D ).
dailycarbs

Postby John McDougall » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:11 pm

I believe this is just politics. Read my April 2014 Newsletter: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl ... intons.htm

Hillary will not get elected without support from the meat, dairy, fish, food, pharmaceutical, and medical businesses.

You will see it in Bill's face (and chin and belly) when he starts eating BBQ. I believe he is too smart a person for suicide (his own health or his wife's politics).

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby eXtremE » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:38 pm

How can you trust any politician? I always vote for the lesser of two evils and I think Hillary will definitely be the lesser of two evils in 2016, so she has my vote. That video does not say he eats this way regularly anymore and I don't believe he does. I still think his diet is quite healthy even if he might cheat a little every now and then.

What is going on with the website btw? Characters are missing from posts. I noticed this happened several days ago too.

If every single American who is eligible to vote would get out and vote, I think big money would not matter as much in deciding who gets elected. No matter how much money and political influence big pharma has for example, it still all boils down to one man / one woman / one vote. The problem is most poor people in this country still do not vote. (just look at how the past mid-terms turned out).
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Jack Monzon » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:42 pm

While I agree that Clinton is an intelligent man, he doesn't strike me as someone who is fond of restraint—or telling the truth.
Jack Monzon

Postby dailycarbs » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:51 pm

dailycarbs

Postby Gweithgar » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:30 am

I normally eat a WFPB diet, but there is an amazing BBQ place about 20 miles from my home. And, yeah, about once a year I eat there. :unibrow:
Cet animal est tres mechant; quand on l'attaque, il se defend
(This animal is very wicked; if attacked it defends itself)
Gweithgar

Postby vman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:49 am

Jackfruit, portabello mushroom, tofu, or seitan with bbq sauce does the trick for me. I love bbq but I have no desire to eat the real thing anymore.
vman

Postby jay kaye » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Just came across this photo. It is about 6 months old.

And from a site call "FACT ABOUT BEEF" Debunking myths about beef

For his 30th wedding anniversary, former President Bill Clinton received the gift that keeps on giving; a healthy diet. His wife, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, consulted with Dr. Mark Hyman to provide her husband advice on a more nutritious, healthy diet.

The first recommendation Dr. Hyman had for Former President Clinton: discontinue his vegan lifestyle. Dr. Hyman explained how fish and lean protein are an important part of a healthy diet, even suggesting the Clintons carry beef jerky as a snack. Beef is an excellent source of vitamin B12 and zinc and a good source of iron – just a 3-ounce serving of lean beef contains 25 grams of protein all for about 150 calories. The vegan diet often lacks important nutrients that other sources of protein readily provide, because many of these necessary nutrients are often not available in plant-based protein sources.

The New York Times called it “The Clinton Cleanse,” known to emphasize mostly gluten-free whole foods, proteins and natural fats. Though President Bill Clinton raised eyebrows when he gave up his vegan lifestyle to return to a high protein diet, he made a commitment to putting his health first.

Anne Hathaway and President Bill Clinton aren’t alone. Ozzy Osbourne, Rachel McAdams and even Justin Bieber returned to a diet including meat, after reporting changes in energy and attitude. A reporter from Pennsylvania recently chronicled his experience going back to eating meat from veganism; stating that his first bite into his steak “couldn’t have been more perfect.”

A recent study by the Humane Research Council found that 84 percent of vegetarians and vegans return to eating meat. Why did they turn back? A full 35 percent of participants indicated that declining health was the main reason they reverted back to eating meat – just like Hathaway and Clinton....

I fairly sure Bill has returned to the DARK SIDE. Maybe he will flip again when his chest pains come back.

j
jay kaye

Postby dynodan62 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:48 am

Staging a burger flipping 'photo-op' to encourage meat industry political contributions & disassociate yourself from the negative liability that inevitably results with being identified as a 'fringe element' (vegan/vegetarian), is not the same as actually eating one. Bill Clinton has been accused of many things, but 'stupid' isn't one of them. His improved CV health isn't something he is likely to turn his back on. I'll bet Hyman is aware he is just a convenient prop to make Bill's supposed dietary realignment more believable, probablly welcomes the positive publicity/book sales, and doesn't really care what Bill actually eats at home.
dynodan62

Postby dteresa » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:57 am

On the bright side, after all the pro meat publicity, if he drops dead dr. Esselstyn and the vegan diet can't be blamed. Oh, sorry. Someone will find a way to say it was due to the vegetables.

didi
dteresa

Postby f1jim » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 am

I shouldn't be disappointed in anything a politician does but I am. Either he is currying favor with an industry causing great harm to this country in many ways, or he is just a guy that blows with the political wind. Either way it's disheartening. I think of the much better good he could be accomplishing by staying with the diet that restored some health to him and becoming a beacon for good health to an entire nation.
It's no different than when a movie or TV celebrity jumps on the "vegan" bandwagon. I can usually hold my breath long enough for them to move on to their next proclamation.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby dailycarbs » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:03 am

A plant based eating or vegan agenda is at the bottom of Bill Clinton's priority list. In fact, I'm sure it's not even on their list. As to Bill's eating and health, I wouldn't infer anything from a photo op.
dailycarbs

Postby dynodan62 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:33 am

[quote="f1jim"].....I think of the much better good he could be accomplishing by staying with the diet that restored some health to him and becoming a beacon for good health to an entire nation.......

Hard to say. Bill strikes me more as a 'hands on'/proactive type. He likely believes direct access/influence over the free world's most powerful person, and the governmental pressure that could bring might well trump any supposed 'positive example'.
dynodan62

Postby pundit999 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:45 am

I posted this in October of 2014. At least to that point, he was eating mostly this way:

pundit999 wrote:There have been stories that President Clinton may be going off track. But recent photographs with the grand baby and the following article show he is choosing to stay compliant. Good for him!
====
In town to campaign for Senate candidate Michelle Nunn, 42nd President of the United States and good ol' Southern boy Bill Clinton stopped by Home Grown in Reynoldstown Saturday morning.

Sticking to a vegan diet, Clinton didn't order off the comfort food-heavy menu, according to an employee at the restaurant. The staff sent a plate of biscuits to the table, but he again chose not to indulge. That's a showing of remarkable restraint, and quite a contrast to the on-location-eating strategy of President Barack Obama, who chowed down on barbecue and more in Texas earlier this summer.

http://atlanta.eater.com/2014/9/15/6156071/former-president-bill-clinton-visited-reynoldstowns-home-grown-but-he
pundit999

Next

Return to The Lounge