Fish Oil Suppliment Studies

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fish Oil Suppliment Studies

Postby landog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:38 am

Fish Oil Claims Not Supported by Research

Wow:
At least 10 percent of Americans take fish oil regularly

compared with a placebo, fish oil showed no benefit

“I think that the era of fish oil as medication could be considered over now,” said the study’s lead author
landog

Re: Fish Oil Suppliment Studies

Postby dailycarbs » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:00 am

This link worked better for me.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/well/20 ... -research/

Unfortunately, the conclusions are usually wrong:

Like many cardiologists, Dr. Stein encourages his patients to avoid fish oil supplements and focus instead on eating fatty fish at least twice a week, in line with federal guidelines on safe fish intake, because fish contains a variety of healthful nutrients other than just EPA and DHA.

Not to mention all the idiotic comments. It seems that people can't ever accept that placebo applies to them.
dailycarbs

Postby colonyofcells » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:32 pm

The mainstream and 2015 diet guidelines are promoting seafood over fish oil.
colonyofcells

Postby dynodan62 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:30 pm

I would be interested in related data not mentioned:
1. Whether those taking properly stored pharmaceutical grade oil (as opposed to the typical toxic/spoiled health food store product) had a lower death rate from initial attack defib.?
2. Was the death rate any lower for those who's EFA ratio was lowest? There is some evidence that SAD eaters who take fish oil may not fare as well as those who consume a healthier diet/ratio to start with.
3. Were the results dose specific? Most studies are based on only 1000mg. Did those taking 3-4K mg. daily fare any better?
Anyone read the actual study text?
dynodan62

Postby Jumpstart » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:35 pm

The only study I saw about fish oils that seemed well done was a couple of years ago. They showed that Trigs were reduced by 25%, BUT no markers of inflammation were affected. So, we have another study that showed we can move numbers around, but that doesn't seem to make any difference in real health and survival.
Jumpstart

Return to The Lounge