i cancelled my NYTimes subscription

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

i cancelled my NYTimes subscription

Postby flabingo » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:24 pm

The editors not the author are more at fault in my eyes for featuring the article Red Meat is not the problem. I understand the meat and dairy industry get 63% of the farm subsidies and the school where he teaches gets money and other perks, but shame on the editors of the Times. But this is the same state where Mike Pence is the governor.
flabingo

Re: i cancelled my NYTimes subscription

Postby f1jim » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:41 pm

I haven't bothered reading the times since they fired Jayson Blair!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Jumpstart » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:59 pm

I did get a kick out of :

We really do need randomized controlled trials to answer these questions. They do exist, but with respect to effects on lipid levels such as cholesterol and triglycerides. A meta-analysis examining eight trials found that beef versus poultry and fish consumption didn’t change cholesterol or triglyceride levels significantly.

Somehow he didn't figure out that it's ALL meat and therefore why should cholesterol or trig levels change significantly?
Jumpstart

Postby flabingo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:43 am

He did not talk about the other problems with RED meat. It takes 1799 gallons of water to create ONE pound of beef. California has a serious water problem, and they not only raise beef, but export alfalfa, and allow Nestle to ship bottled water out of the state during the drought in plastic bottles. At the same time the state has stopped the use of plastic bags in supermarkets
Then you have the methene gas emissions. In Ireland and other countries they are seriously considering a flatulance tax.
And ALL beef is not the same. Grass fed as opposed to a factory farm are quite different products. Then you have the deads cows that are often delivered to the slaughterhouses..
And does not mention the enormous farm subsidies that the meat and dairy industry gets(63%) as opposed to fruits and veggies 3%.
It is time for a new documentary like Food Inc to remind us of the factory farms again.
All cuts of beef are not the same. Not everybody buys Tenderloin from Whole foods at $35.00 a pound.
Then you have the bun, cheese etc that are normally included
One glimmer of hope. The Navajo nation in Arizona is going to tax JUNK food 2% and wave the 5% sales tax on fruits and vegetables.
"Obesity in children has tripled, and grass fed prime cuts are not the main reason". That would have been a MORE appropriate headline
flabingo

Postby dteresa » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:17 pm

thanks to the internet and at a time when all you have to do is pick up your phone to get the latest news, newspaper readership has gone down a whole lot and thus, I imagine, so has advertising revenue. So anything that will grab someone's attention long enough to get him to buy a newspaper is bound to be manna for the press. And since people like to hear good news about their bad habits and such articles will also satisfy advertisers, is it any wonder that the NYT hosts writers like Gary Taubes and others of his ilk?

I heard rumors that the three martini lunch is back. Possibly the next article.

didi
dteresa

Return to The Lounge