Anyone have any experience, or know anyone successful...

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone have any experience, or know anyone successful...

Postby Halcyon8 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:21 pm

On a low fat plant based diet who is Type 1 Diabetic? My dearest friend is 78 and has been Type 1 since she was 14. She is meticulous about her diet, but it is not plant based. She and I have been discussing the notion of moving in a more plant based direction. We know it has been a blessing to Type 2's - the common type. But does anyone on this site know of anyone who has McDougalled successfully, or unsuccessfully, who is Type 1? Or have any information about such?

Thank you....with love,

Biscuit Grinch
Halcyon8

Re: Anyone have any experience, or know anyone successful...

Postby vgpedlr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:37 pm

Yes.

Well, sort of. There is a member here who has used this WOE long term to better manage type 1 diabetes. His name totally escapes me. Surely someone will help out. His experience is that this diet makes managing insulin much easier.
vgpedlr

Postby Katydid » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:39 pm

This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby wade4veg » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:56 pm

BiscuitGrinch wrote:On a low fat plant based diet who is Type 1 Diabetic? My dearest friend is 78 and has been Type 1 since she was 14. She is meticulous about her diet, but it is not plant based. She and I have been discussing the notion of moving in a more plant based direction.

Why? She is 78 and has been Type 1 since age 14....
Are you saying she is now unhealthy? If not, then after 64 years of dealing successfully with her disease, why switch.
Why rock the boat?

Or is she currently having serious problems. If not, then I wouldn't discontinue her current diet.
wade4veg

Katydid....thank you SO much....

Postby Halcyon8 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:15 pm

That was exactly what I was looking for. You're an angel!

Wade....that's a very valid question. I think if you asked either myself or my friend, we would probably give you the same answer - a sensing or knowing, that purification, refinement, uplift- be it at the physical, emotional, or mental level, never stops, as long as we are in physical forms - unless we choose to put our foot on the door. With that attitude, she has done relatively well in managing her physical capacities and her long term diabetes. But she knows there's more, and so do I. There are things she deals with that she senses she might be able to mollify if she took it up another notch.

I did laugh when I read the "why rock the boat." I think I've been rockin' the boat since I was born - without even trying. I think that's my day job on earth.

Warmly,

Boat Rockin' Grinch
Halcyon8

Postby Thrasymachus » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:20 pm

I think someone needs to make a vetted website database full of people who have reversed conditions using a therapeutic plant based diet with the express goal of such people acting as mentors. To be a part as the equivalent of a star McDougaller you would have to upload medical proof of a reversal that you would be willing to make public and you can have name removed or not. The website would have a messaging type system that allowed you to email or contact these people and get in touch and even encourage people to communicate over the phone. People interested but not fully convinced or needing support can then contact the people who reversed or are greatly improved from the same affliction.

That would be much more effective than trying to convert friends and family who are likely not interested. The people who reversed conditions can feel good by knowing they are helping and seeing hopefully progress from the people they are advising, encouraging, mentoring. There is Star McDougallers here, but it is not the same, there is no way to contact them. If such website existed and there was a language field, maybe I could have had someone who reversed type 2 diabetes or high blood pressure that knows Greek to phone in and convince my grandmother, because she thinks I am just making up stuff since I cannot find Greek language material.

However given the legal strangehold of pernicious allopathic medicine, I think this is a legality mine, sadly. But ripping people up because they eat too much cholesterol isn't and then allowing them to eat steak and fast food in the hospital, isn't legally problematic...
Thrasymachus

Return to The Lounge