Fasting - Dr. Klaper

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fasting - Dr. Klaper

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:33 am

Our bodies, we are, not machines, our bodies, (even using the word body is an objectification) we are, intelligent living organisms that have a chance to do all kinds of healing work when not burdened with eating.

soul food
soul food

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:48 am

Healthpromoting com was founded by 2 chiropractors who tend to have more practices with no evidence. I heard a magnetic healer started the chiropractor industry.
Last edited by colonyofcells on Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colonyofcells

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:56 am

Well you know colony of cells, among TRADITIONAL peoples, healing is traditional.

soul food
soul food

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:03 am

I tend to have more doubts about fasting for health since it is quite similar to the ketogenic diets. The idea for ketogenic diets came from the fasting treatments of epilepsy kids. Both fasting and ketogenic diets do help some suffering from epilepsy. Fasting as a treatment for other diseases is probably on going research and probably too early to jump into the fasting bandwagon. Fasting and other diets have been tried against diabetes since the 1910s when insulin was not yet invented, so diet changes are all under study against many diseases.
colonyofcells

Postby Skip » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:36 pm

colonyofcells wrote:Fasting as a treatment for other diseases is probably on going research and probably too early to jump into the fasting bandwagon.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32727377/Medi ... pertension

There is no doubt about fasting and hypertension. And you seem to be a huge doubter.....granted the fast only kick starts the process and if the patient does not adapt to a WFPB diet, many of the benefits from the fast can be negated....you don't go on a fast, then start eating cheeseburgers....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby 000 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:55 pm

Drew_ab wrote:I've just started overnight fasting for 15-16 hours. This means I eat breakfast, lunch, and supper all within an 8 hour window. I'm doing it to increase T production, and so far I feel good. Daily fasting is gaining lots if momentum lately. Not sure if it fits here, but I thought I would mention it.

I do this too. I don't start eating until 10 a.m. and I never eat after 6 p.m. That guarantees a 16-hour fast day over day.

Postby Skip » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:40 am

Katydid wrote:I've never felt the need for a full 3 day fast, but once a month I will fast from say, 6 pm Saturday to 6 am Monday. I have a number of allergies, and I find a brief water-only fast relieves inflammation build-up without drugs. :D

Kate

I've done your fast for the last two weekends. Previous to this, I don't think that I have ever fasted (at least for the last 20 years). I never thought that I could do it. The following article resonated with me because I have my BMI down to 24, but have had a tough time getting to the desired range of 18.5-21.9 (per JeffN's recommendations):

http://www.healthpromoting.com/learning ... eight-loss

I am very pleased with the affect fasting has on my mind and body (feeling relaxed and BMI close to 23 now). As I investigate fasting and intermittent fasting (IF) more, I've learned that this idea is great for you in a number of ways. For one, fasting lowers your IGF-1 levels which is good for preventing disease and keep you young (higher IGF-1 levels is associated with aging). Fasting helps your brain health (check out Dr. Mark Mattson) . Two of the leading researchers confirm this. They are Dr. Valter Longo director, University of Southern California Longevity Institute and Dr. Mark Mattson researcher, National Institute on Aging. JeffN has an interesting thread on the subject of IF:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36724
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby patty » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:15 pm

[quote="Skip"]

Mahalo for two great articles to print and email: http://www.scribd.com/doc/32727377/Medi ... pertension

http://www.healthpromoting.com/learning ... eight-loss

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Drew_ab » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:46 pm

000 wrote:
Drew_ab wrote:I've just started overnight fasting for 15-16 hours. This means I eat breakfast, lunch, and supper all within an 8 hour window. I'm doing it to increase T production, and so far I feel good. Daily fasting is gaining lots if momentum lately. Not sure if it fits here, but I thought I would mention it.

I do this too. I don't start eating until 10 a.m. and I never eat after 6 p.m. That guarantees a 16-hour fast day over day.

Be sure to share your experience. I am very interested to hear how this works out for people.
Drew_ab

Postby bbq » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:36 am

21-day water-only fasting @ True North:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtTAT11FARqOmDios2iRAng0fT9xQmPSW

Regular updates were posted on YouTube during the fast, the refeeding video looked amazing.
bbq

Postby dteresa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:48 am

Fasting is not an uncommon practice in many religions for reasons that have nothing to do with physical health. If anyone has any good studies of why it is beneficial to health I would like to read them. I would also like to know of what follow up over the years True North or any other fasting program has and what the long term advantages or disadvantages would be. One criticism of programs like weight watchers and other diet plans is that there are no statistics on long term results.

I am very skeptical about the benefits and wonder about damage that may be done by extended fasts. If a ketogenic diet is unhealthful and mimics what happens to the body during starvation, why is the ketosis of a water fast not just as harmful?

didi
dteresa

Postby dailycarbs » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:47 am

I don't have a list of studies but it is becoming mainstream thinking that fasting promotes health. The reasons are not completely clear—just as with calorie restriction—but certain mechanisms seem to come into play with cell repair taking place during fasting which then continue to provide beneficial protective properties even after you eat. Current thinking is that a daily intermittent fast of ~16 hours yields benefits. Some are fasting every other day. Some every third day. There are infinite variations and it's all based on some science—but not conclusive at this point.

I fast 16 (minimum) of the 24 hours. I think it's easy. Just skip breakfast. 8 hour eating window between noon and dinner = 16 hours of fasting. I don't do this strictly for health benefits. I find it liberating to not always be thinking of "meals." I'm an opportunistic eater and pride myself on eating healthfully in the wild (the wild for me means away from home, in supermarkets, convenience stores, coffees shops, or just picking things out of the fridge without prep :D).

You'll have to get the actual science from someone other than me though. I can tell you that when I eat breakfast, I feel different in the morning (slightly less alert or energetic), so I no longer prefer to eat it. Sometimes I won't eat until 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Depends on my day. Yet I do my exercising and most energetic activities before my first meal—in a fasted state. Do I feel weak or dragged out? On the contrary. I'm filled with energy. Placebo? Perhaps. But when I sit down to eat, cold potatoes, salad, and fruit taste like heaven. Isn't that the way nourishment is supposed to taste? Do we really need infinite spices, fat, and fancy vegan treats to titilate our tastes buds to get us to eat? No. Give me cold potatoes. Nothing added. Hunger is the best sauce.

The idea that moderate supervised fasting will do long term harm is hard to swallow given current knowledge and common sense (evolutionary adaptations). There is simply no evidence of it. In fact, everything points to the contrary. What's doing harm is excess calories. People are addicted to their feed bags like farm animals. If they only knew it need not be so. Nobody is going to starve to death in a developed country.

Ketosis is a normal and healthy temporary state. Permanent ketosis through deprivation of carbs is what's asinine. We're carb eaters who occassionaly have no food to eat (fast). Ymmv as to length of fast.
dailycarbs

Previous

Return to The Lounge