Fasting - Dr. Klaper

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Fasting - Dr. Klaper

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks for sharing about long term fasting. Now I know how to fast if there is a zombie apocalypse.
colonyofcells

Postby brec » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:14 pm

Skip wrote:
brec wrote:
Skip wrote:... a water only fast for purposes of cleansing or detox ...

I've yet to have seen any reason to regard this as other than BS. E.g., which specific toxins are thus being removed? Here is more detailed skepticism.

Some specific toxin that might be removed (it depends on which toxins you have due to your lifestyle) are preservatives, food colorings, food stablizers, yellow dye #3 etc. and other toxic chemicals you may have ingested. For example, toxins that might be removed are those in the drugs that you have been taking (and stop taking on the fast).

Is there any evidence that these substances (I don't know that all are "toxins") would be removed by a water fast and not removed in the normal course of events by the liver and/or other bodily function?

Water fasting is not some scam that is sold as your referenced article mentions motivations for various marketed cleansing products. The only cost is water! Some of the benefits of fasting include strengthening your immune system, reducing inflammation, resetting hormonal balances, resting your organs like your stomach, intestines, and liver. I don't consider this to be "BS"......

I didn't mean to say or imply that water fasting is a scam; what I was saying was I've as yet no reason to consider the "cleansing or detox" claims as other than BS. But now that you mention these other benefits: is there any evidence for them, or, in the case of "resetting hormonal balances" (what does that mean?) or "resting" organs, that they are beneficial?
brec

Postby Skip » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:02 pm

brec wrote:Is there any evidence that these substances (I don't know that all are "toxins") would be removed by a water fast and not removed in the normal course of events by the liver and/or other bodily function?

Yes

brec wrote:I didn't mean to say or imply that water fasting is a scam; what I was saying was I've as yet no reason to consider the "cleansing or detox" claims as other than BS. But now that you mention these other benefits: is there any evidence for them, or, in the case of "resetting hormonal balances" (what does that mean?) or "resting" organs, that they are beneficial?

Yes

There's about 10,000 patients that have gone through supervised water fasting at the True North clinic and plenty of evidence....
You can learn about the evidence here: http://www.healthpromoting.com/
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby brec » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Skip wrote:
brec wrote:Is there any evidence that these substances (I don't know that all are "toxins") would be removed by a water fast and not removed in the normal course of events by the liver and/or other bodily function?

Yes

Oh.

brec wrote:I didn't mean to say or imply that water fasting is a scam; what I was saying was I've as yet no reason to consider the "cleansing or detox" claims as other than BS. But now that you mention these other benefits: is there any evidence for them, or, in the case of "resetting hormonal balances" (what does that mean?) or "resting" organs, that they are beneficial?

Yes

Ah.

There's about 10,000 patients that have gone through supervised water fasting at the True North clinic and plenty of evidence....
You can learn about the evidence here: http://www.healthpromoting.com/

I went again -- I'd been to the site before -- but I didn't see evidence for the specific claimed benefits that you mentioned. I'm sure that a lot of people have lost a lot of weight, and a lot of good dietary education has been achieved, and I'd guess that compassionate caring attention does a lot of good for a lot of people, too. But as to the specific claimed benefits, all I saw was claims.
brec

Postby Skip » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:52 pm

brec wrote:I went again -- I'd been to the site before -- but I didn't see evidence for the specific claimed benefits that you mentioned. I'm sure that a lot of people have lost a lot of weight, and a lot of good dietary education has been achieved, and I'd guess that compassionate caring attention does a lot of good for a lot of people, too. But as to the specific claimed benefits, all I saw was claims.

Go to the learning center: http://www.healthpromoting.com/learning-center

There's a ton of information there in this regard. Many chronic diseases have been reversed using fasting as a modality along with a WFPB diet after the fast is over.....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:24 pm

Fasting probably needs more studies before more people will agree to agonize over not eating. Maybe fasting for 40 days and 40 nights is more effective at starting new religions rather than improving health.
colonyofcells

Postby Jumpstart » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:17 pm

Dr. Campbell did an extended water fast at True North to eliminate "problems" from the "toxins" he was exposed to during his research. I'm assuming that toxin was Aflatoxin and I also assume the "problem" was cancer. I guess the fast was successful since as a result Dr. Campbell decided to help Dr. Goldhamer get his first fasting study published. This is talked about in one of Dr. Goldhamer's vids. There is also a joint vid with Dr. Goldhamer where Dr. McDougall talks about sending his tough patients to True North for water fasting for type2 and very high blood pressure.
Jumpstart

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Dr Campbell probably needs to give more details about what actually improved in his condition and if the problem did not come back. Dr Mcdougall handles mostly obesity cases and maybe fasting can help some jump start the weight loss in a few rare cases altho there is always a danger of weight gain after fasting.
colonyofcells

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:07 am

I read the studies from the True North program but did not read of any long term follow up of the thousands of patients who have been through the program. In the short term, many have also claimed excellent results from an atkins or other low carb diet.

Somewhere on the site I found, but cannot remember where I found it, that the water fasting method is approved by the International Association of Hygienic Physicians. Or something like that. These are a group of Natural Hygiene practitioners, a movement founded by someone named Shelton whose educational credentials I could not find. I don't know. Is that a group whose recommendations you would stake your health on?

didi
dteresa

Postby 000 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:08 am

brec wrote:[W]hich specific toxins are thus being removed?

Body fat.

Postby figlover » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:59 am

It's not an unpredictable POV by the majority of folks here that fasting for health is superfluous and even downright dangerous. However, there are studies that show results for disease symptoms resolving on a fast. Fibroid tumors become autolyzed at some point. Inferior growths of all kinds are dealt with more efficiently than when feeding. This may be of value for those who need results quickly and predictably.

Is fasting necessary for feeling good, happy and satisfied with ones own lifestyle. NO!

But, if you want some results of improved functioning within the shortest time frame fasting will be the most efficacious option. Fasting frees up nerve energy for repair, which goes on all the time regardless, but much more so during a fast. And that's is especially true if you embrace the concept and let it lead you.

Arguing about it is pointless, especially over breakfast. :-D
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby PeripateticDanielle » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:14 am

colonyofcells wrote:Thanks for sharing about long term fasting. Now I know how to fast if there is a zombie apocalypse.

colonyofcells, you are cracking me up as usual.
PeripateticDanielle

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:53 am

I've just started overnight fasting for 15-16 hours. This means I eat breakfast, lunch, and supper all within an 8 hour window. I'm doing it to increase T production, and so far I feel good. Daily fasting is gaining lots if momentum lately. Not sure if it fits here, but I thought I would mention it.
Drew_ab

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:33 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3SSL30 ... load_owner

Published on Jun 16, 2014
Dr. Alan Goldhamer and Dr. John McDougall discuss the health benefits of Water Fasting Therapy

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=43223&hilit=fasting

soul food
soul food

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:09 am

After fasting, they do promote healthy eating and my guess is the healthy eating part is the more beneficial part rather than the fasting part. Maybe fasting is a good way to cure some cases of food addictions similar to drug rehab centers. Mcdougall diet is enough to cure most cases of food addiction which is probably why it is rare that Dr Mcdougall will send patients for fasting.
colonyofcells

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge