Ken Burns PBS Documentary on Cancer

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Ken Burns PBS Documentary on Cancer

Postby hazelrah » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:30 pm

vgpedlr wrote:Well said, Mark. I see it in myself. I'm here to interact with like minded people. I'm not over at Mark's Daily Apple because they're Paleo. It's both a blessing and a curse: Blessing because there are not many of us and it's good to connect, but a curse not to be forced to interact with folks that are different. In this context, it's why I continue to follow some who espouse a low carb, high fat lifestyle for endurance.

Well, at least it's a decision we make consciously, not like watching a movie on Netflix or shopping on Amazon. In a sense I think relying on the support of the folks here is a decision to keep from going over the cliff. Sometimes I feel like I was already falling when I came here the first time.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby Katydid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:59 am

Excellent article by Dr. McDougall in latest FOK newsletter on eating to beat cancer:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/science- ... d-cancer/#

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby soul food » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:32 am

That's a good summary by Dr. McDougall. I will email that out to everyone but my SIL who now doesn't speak to me because I brought up the McDougall diet and cancer because her husband, my BIL had/has prostate cancer. We were all there for my FIL death watch and I cooked a bunch of food which everyone ate and loved and they kept asking me questions about this WOE and I brought up that switching to this WOE might be of benefit for BIL prostate cancer. My SIL just went into a horrible guilt trip about the food she prepares and took it out on me. I was gentle, I did not blame her but I didn't back down. If looks could kill, I'd be dead.

soul food
soul food

Postby hazelrah » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:12 am

soul food wrote:That's a good summary by Dr. McDougall. I will email that out to everyone but my SIL who now doesn't speak to me because I brought up the McDougall diet and cancer because her husband, my BIL had/has prostate cancer. We were all there for my FIL death watch and I cooked a bunch of food which everyone ate and loved and they kept asking me questions about this WOE and I brought up that switching to this WOE might be of benefit for BIL prostate cancer. My SIL just went into a horrible guilt trip about the food she prepares and took it out on me. I was gentle, I did not blame her but I didn't back down. If looks could kill, I'd be dead.

soul food

Yeah, it's really a delicate situation. I got that from the stuff Susan Voisin wrote about her cancer. There's some implicit sense of the cancer victim being responsible. Our CSA farmer's wife died of breast cancer at the beginning of the year. She was also the CSA manager. We knew her and knew she had cancer for years. We always wanted to try to get her to pull the oil from her recipes. Once in a while I'd make small comments about how it would improve the healthiness of the food or something like, "I made that but without the oil. It was really good." But I always felt afraid that something I said would be interpreted as having a subtext that she could have done more to avoid the cancer. It's such a strange sense of responsibility that we all have. On the upside, I think it's an important quality for people to make the world a better place to live in. I guess the best you can do is speak the truth as you know it and hope it will make a positive change. But it's hard not to feel sensitive about the responses you get.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby Katydid » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:10 pm

soul food wrote:That's a good summary by Dr. McDougall. I will email that out to everyone but my SIL who now doesn't speak to me because I brought up the McDougall diet and cancer because her husband, my BIL had/has prostate cancer. We were all there for my FIL death watch and I cooked a bunch of food which everyone ate and loved and they kept asking me questions about this WOE and I brought up that switching to this WOE might be of benefit for BIL prostate cancer. My SIL just went into a horrible guilt trip about the food she prepares and took it out on me. I was gentle, I did not blame her but I didn't back down. If looks could kill, I'd be dead.

soul food

I would hope that anyone with prostate cancer would be thrilled with Dr. Ornish's study that actually showed slowing or even reversal of prostate cancer with a plant-based diet.

http://ornishspectrum.com/wp-content/up ... Cancer.pdf

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby dynodan62 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:52 am

Watched the entire series. Merely confirms my impression that, given the proper phytochemical ammunition, a healthy human immune system is perfectly capable of keeping up with chromosomal mutations (cancer). In those who were long starved of phytonutrients or exposed to especially toxic levels of carcinogens and thus allowed the mutated cells to get ahead, depriving cancer of the animal protein & growth hormones it needs to thrive may well allow the immune system to catch up (spontaneous remission). Our modern day vastly extended lifespan is a very recent development in the concept of evolutionary time. If we should live long enough, we would all likely die from cancer eventually.
dynodan62

Previous

Return to The Lounge