Increasing Testosterone?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Increasing Testosterone?

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:21 am

I was recently diagnosed with low testosterone. Oh what fun. I e-mailed Dr. M about it, and he quickly reminded me that TRT should be an absolute last resort. Especially given the fact that I am 30. What are some things that we can do to increase T?

-lift heavy weights?
-HIIT training (no long boring cardio sessions)?
-adequate vitamin d?
-intermittent fasting?
-eat certain plant foods?
-sleep well?
-adopt alpha male postures?

Lots of internet sources seem to suggest you need saturated fats. I'm really at a loss right now. I'm still going to be McDougalling as it's so solidly backed by research, but am wondering what else I can do to increase T?
Drew_ab

Re: Increasing Testosterone?

Postby bbq » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:33 am

Early nights should be key, maybe eat more during the day and gradually decrease the volume throughout the day. Then you could tweak what / when you eat in the evening so that digestion won't interfere with sleeping.

Tart cherry for melatonin if a little help were needed but supplements won't be a good idea IMHO:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22038497
http://nutritionfacts.org/2014/04/03/foods-with-natural-melatonin/

Lavender essential oil and diffuser could be another tool:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22049287
http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb/lavender

Zinc from plant foods could also help with T level:

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/zinc.php
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=115

Bisphenol A (BPA) could also mess with T and you could take a look at stuff like packaging etc.
bbq

Postby baardmk » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:34 am

I heard a radio program recently about T. One expert said something about the only diagnostically really accurate symptom of low T was loss of libido/sex function.

They also said that more than one marker should be used and that central hormones controlling T should be included. They didn't go into details. Apparently total T is not a good marker. Free T is better/more reliable. Testosterone goes down during the day, so you'd want to test it early in the morning, and I think meals also lower it, so you'd want to skip meals prior to testing too.

You probably don't have that issue, but too much body fat will lower testosterone or it's potential.
baardmk

Postby human vegetable » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:56 am

I also think that mere lab numbers don't say much and may not even be reason for concern at all as long as you don't have any clinical symptoms (low libido/exhaustion/depression/decreasing sports performance, etc.).

Many lifestyle factors influencing testosterone levels have already been brought up, I think optimizing all of those should take priority over supplements/medication.

Some more ideas:
- reducing stress level by whichever means seems appropriate (e. g. meditation/breathing and relaxation exercises)
- optimizing body composition (being overweight negatively affects T-levels)
- getting sufficient sleep (actually, this should be the #1 priority, link: http://www.ergo-log.com/more-sleep-can-double-your-testosterone-level.html)
- speculative*: optimizing vitamin D levels (McD advocates sun exposure instead of supps, link: http://www.ergo-log.com/vitamindtestosterone.html)

*: the linked study is an epidemiological one, therefore the correlation "high vit D - high T" established by the study might not imply causation as suggested. Having a half hour walk in the spring sun every noon, wearing T-shirts and shorts (if your location permits) cannot hurt much, though.
human vegetable

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:13 am

Thanks so much for the detailed responses. I'm going to dissect them more in a minute. By the way, here is the bloodwork (a bit blurry, but still readable).

http://postimg.org/image/lgocsawif/
Drew_ab

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:33 am

Unfortunately, I do have loss of libido and sexual dysfunction. So according to that doctors criteria, my symptoms are relevant. I wouldn't care if I was good to go, but had a low number. Sleep can be improved upon a little but I generally sleep just over 7 hours per night. (Last night was of course the exception - awful sleep). I only use glass for storing my food and can't think of anywhere i'm getting exposed to BPA. I also don't use deodorant, lotions, etc, as I'm concerned about environmental exposure to endocrine disruptors. I think I'm going to really pound back the zinc rich plant foods and experiment to see what happens. I'm really not stressed at the moment. Work is going well, I meditate daily. One thing is I could work on my relationship with my wife. And ironically from what I've read more sex = more T.

I've been referred to a endocrinologist who will see me in a few weeks and retest me then, and go from there.

Please keep the ideas coming everyone. I'll keep you all posted.
Drew_ab

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:04 am

By the way, when I refer to alpha male postures - I am extrapolating from this Ted Talk. Our body language affects our hormone levels.

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your ... anguage=en

This might be interesting for anyone to watch, not just those trying to boost their testosterone levels.
Drew_ab

Postby eXtremE » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:30 am

Drew_ab wrote:I was recently diagnosed with low testosterone. Oh what fun. I e-mailed Dr. M about it, and he quickly reminded me that TRT should be an absolute last resort. Especially given the fact that I am 30. What are some things that we can do to increase T?

-lift heavy weights?
-adequate vitamin d?
-intermittent fasting?
-eat certain plant foods?
-sleep well?
-adopt alpha male postures?

Lots of internet sources seem to suggest you need saturated fats. I'm really at a loss right now. I'm still going to be McDougalling as it's so solidly backed by research, but am wondering what else I can do to increase T?
I am already doing these things......-lift heavy weights?
-adequate vitamin d?
-intermittent fasting?
-eat certain plant foods?....my testosterone is also low normal. I am still thinking about hormone optimization with TRT but still debating it. I do not have any problems with erections but my interest in having sex (sex drive) is just not there anymore. I am also about 20 years older than you!
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby eXtremE » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:34 am

ImageAre you having morning erections when you awake or have those diminished significantly?
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Jumpstart » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:07 am

My oldest brother (now age 66) had his testosterone levels fall well below the minimum considered normal due to six months of in hospital chemo that wiped out many of his other endocrine functions. Of course he didn’t know about the very low testosterone for many years, but he can tell you all about what the lack of this hormone did to him. He had no interest in sex at all, but that was the least of his problems. He went from a confident man who held a position as VP in a major corporation to someone who was afraid to leave the house. Anxiety is something he lived with for years without understanding why all this was happening to him. When he was forced to go out for groceries he feared getting in a confrontation as unlikely as this might have been. He became highly emotional just watching a movie. In addition he suffered muscle and strength loss, but the most serious of his physical problems was bone loss in his frame and jaws and he started losing his teeth. He lost almost three inches in height as a result of five of his vertebrae partially collapsing. He has now been on testosterone for over a decade and the bone and muscle has come back. Unfortunately he’ll never get the height back, but surgery has stabilized the condition. However, he wakes in back pain every morning. The biggest change I’ve seen is that all that fear and anxiety are gone and he tells me his love life as a single man has never been better even at five foot six. Yes, he’s aware of the risk, but he tells me he’d rather suffer a quick death than the slow destruction of the mind and quality of life that anxiety and fear causes.
Jumpstart

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:28 am

eXtremE wrote:ImageAre you having morning erections when you awake or have those diminished significantly?

I get maybe 1-2 per month.

Jumpstart, thanks for your input. Quality of life is very important to me, and so while TRT will be a last resort, it's still an option.
Drew_ab

Postby Drew_ab » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:08 pm

BTW, did anyone watch that TED Talk? It's very interesting.
Drew_ab

Postby Doug_ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:30 am

Best thing you can do is to get more sleep. Early nights.

What brought about the need for testing testosterone in the first place, leading to the diagnosis?
Doug_

Postby Drew_ab » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Doug_ wrote:Best thing you can do is to get more sleep. Early nights.

What brought about the need for testing testosterone in the first place, leading to the diagnosis?

I requested it due to very, very low libido. Lack of morning wood, or any spontaneous erections.
Drew_ab

Postby eXtremE » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Drew_ab wrote:
Doug_ wrote:Best thing you can do is to get more sleep. Early nights.

I requested it due to very, very low libido. Lack of morning wood, or any spontaneous erections.
I hear you Drew...me too my friend! This can be devastating esp. if you are a young male. My erections are still ok IMO. I just have no interest in sex anymore like I did in my 20's, 30's, and early 40's. :crybaby:
eXtremE

Next

Return to The Lounge