Beans question

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Beans question

Postby Jack Monzon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:19 pm

I stopped worrying about this. This is not a high-protein diet, and I'm incredibly active.
Jack Monzon

Postby JuicerJohn » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:56 pm

colonyofcells wrote:Dr Mcdougall don't seem to be strict about limiting beans bec. it is not mentioned in the book starch solution and in the web site free program. There are youtube videos where Dr Mcdougall will just tell people to eat starches like grains, beans, etc. and does not mention any restrictions on beans. In most traditional diets, most people eat some cheap starch staple plus some legumes. Some starch staples like nixtamalized corn, cassava have incomplete protein and have to eat legumes, cooked mushrooms and or vegetables to have complete protein.

Hi, have a look at this Forks Over Knives article about the "complete protein" myth:

http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-myth ... y-protein/
Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. John 14:6
JuicerJohn

Postby spartahawk » Sat May 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Jumpstart wrote:does anyone on the board actually eat an entire cup of beans in one day?

I eat beans most meals. Almost as much as the grains I'm eating. I'm sure it's often about a cup per meal, and around 2-4 cups per day. I'm going to start limiting them to a cup a day. And see if over time I can make the lipoma on my quadriceps shrink over time ;) http://nutritionfacts.org/video/starving-cancer-with-methionine-restriction/
spartahawk

Postby colonyofcells » Sat May 23, 2015 7:48 pm

In the first question of this short video, Dr Mcdougall seems to have no objection to using beans as the main starch. He does also list the traditional starches which I interpret to mean a preference for the traditional starches like grains, tubers and winter squash bec. of maybe respecting tradition or trusting tradition. In practice, Dr Mcdougall seems to tend to combine the traditional starches and beans similar to the traditional recipes like rice plus beans, potato plus peas, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUFdRuXdl8o
colonyofcells

Postby Dougalling » Sat May 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Is it restricting 1 cup per day or one cup per meal.
I can easily consume 1 cup beans, 1 cup lentils, and 1 cup peas all in one day.
Dougalling

Postby colonyofcells » Sat May 23, 2015 9:08 pm

I've seen an older video where Dr Mcdougall challenges people to try a mostly beans diet so he don't seem to have objections to using beans as the main form of starch. The limits on beans maybe comes from opinions about what might be more optimal similar to the opinion about sweet potato being the more optimal starch out of the grains, tubers, winter squash and beans. In practice, Dr Mcdougall does include beans in his own diet similar to traditional diets of traditional starch plus soy. Soy seems to have originated in china but I don't know the reasons why the cheap starch staple of china was rice instead of soy. Okinawa had difficulties with cultivating rice so they switched to sweet potato. In Okinawa, soy was never the sole starch also for whatever reasons. The traditional combination in the 1949 okinawa diet was sweet potato and soy bean but soy bean is restricted in the mcdougall diet bec. soy bean is high fat. The 1949 okinawa diet was mostly sweet potato so they did not overeat on soy beans so it was similar to a pritikin diet.
colonyofcells

Postby arugula » Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 pm

imho this is not a huge concern unless you are a diabetic or very sick.
arugula

Postby Starchmonger » Wed May 27, 2015 12:12 am

Beans are cheap and healthful, and extremely versatile to cook with. Additionally, most people don't have any issues eating generous portions of them.

For me, I eat them minimally. I find they slow down my digestion somewhat, and I am not quite as satisfied making a meal out of them as I am with rice or potatoes.

However, as far as weight loss. If you are keeping it plant-based, and keeping overt fats to as close to 0 as possible, I'd say gaining body fat is next to impossible. Whole foods are just not calorie-dense enough.

Starchmonger
Low Fat, Whole Foods vegan
Current Diet - Potatoes, fruits, leafy greens. Current weight ~148lbs down from a lifetime high of 260.

Stop counting calories! Just eat the right foods!
Starchmonger

Postby flabingo » Thu May 28, 2015 12:12 am

Is the process more important than the results? I think not. Is there only one path to good health?
I never read that beans are unhealthy!
But Dr. OZ will say that for a price.
But one egg will kill you, or one drink will also destroy you according to AA!
Lighten up.
flabingo

Previous

Return to The Lounge