Rant about Meds

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rant about Meds

Postby Bkworm » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:14 pm

For years I have carried an EpiPen with me at all times as I have experienced several times in the past what they call idiopathic reaction recurring anaphylactic shock. When that happens, my throat and tongue swell up and I have difficulty breathing. You can die from this is you don't receive immediate assistance. Though after repeated testing the doctors have never been able to determine exactly what I am reacting to. They finally said it seems to be two or more particular substances that I am reacting to at one time - such as a particular hair spray and a deodorant, although they could never narrow it down even that far. Each time the anaphylactic shock occurred, it hit more rapidly and was more severe, thus the EpiPen. I did have to inject myself one time. There is no rhyme or reason to when or where the events occurred.

However, it has now been over 10 years since the last episode. In the past I filled a prescription for the EpiPen once a year with a copay of $10. Last week I received my new EpiPen. It expires in June 2015. The one I was replacing is due to expire in May 2015 but you are supposed to replace them 2 to 3 months ahead of actual expiration. The copay has jumped from $10 to $76. I telephoned the pharmacy to explain about the expiration date expecting to be told the new prescription was sent in error and they would send me a replacement. Instead I was told by the pharmacist that an EpiPen is considered a 90-day prescription and that I would need to replace it every three months.

So now I am expected to pay $304 a year for a prescription that I usually only have to fill once a year for $10. As I see it, I have no choice but to pay the money and get on the treadmill of replacing the EpiPen four times a year. I am a captive patient as far as the EpiPen goes.

Since starting this way of eating, I have been able to stop five medications I previously had taken for years. I current take four prescription meds plus this EpiPen. I have hopes of being able to stop two more meds in the near future. Had stopped those two meds but experienced more problems and had to start taking them again.

I was so mad when I was speaking to the pharmacist. Yet I know it is not her fault. My husband is a 37-year employee of a major Florida hospital. So we are required to order our meds from this mail-in pharmacy as it is owned by the hospital. The hospital also owns the imaging companies we are required to go to for tests as well as the labs and physical therapy practices and the cast and brace company and they now own the medical practices that we go to - two different practices. Why is this not considered a monopoly and considered a conflict of interest? Used to companies were not allowed to have a monopoly. Anyone else remember when the large telephone companies were required to split up due to anti-trust laws violations? Yet here we are right back where that started. Why are hospitals being allowed to form these monopolies now?

Anyone else notice how frequently Obamacare is being used as an excuse for all the increases in medical costs. I don't believe it is Obamacare just by itself, I think Obamacare is being used as a convenient excuse for the hospitals and other medical businesses to start any and every increase they can think of.

I have great hopes of eventually having only prescriptions for two meds, one this EpiPen and one for thyroid supplement. However, has anyone else every stopped carrying an EpiPen? I am seriously considering since it has been at least 10 years since the last episode of anaphylactic shock occurred. Plus my immune system is in much better condition since beginning this WOE 2 years ago.

My DH and I are coming up on retirement. I was so pleased to come off the meds following this WOE and reduce our medical cost plus the added bonus of feeling so good now. However, as fast as I am eliminating prescriptions, the insurance company is rapidly increasing all the other costs. There does not seem to be anyway to win.

Know this is long but thanks for letting me rant and let off steam.
Bkworm

Re: Rant about Meds

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:37 pm

http://www.epipen.ca/en/about-epipen/faq

if you read the frequently asked questions it says the company strives to give you a pen with a year's time to expiration. I do not see why the ninety day rule. Can you contact the company directly and get a prescription from your doctor? Maybe it would be cheaper to pay out of pocket and get a pen with a one year expiration date than to go through insurance and pay four times.

Are there different brands?

Do you think the re designed pen has added to the cost of this pen?

I would visit the personnel department and talk to the person who is in charge of the med insurance. Maybe something sensible can be done.

I am feeling outraged on your behalf.

didi
dteresa

Return to The Lounge