UPDATED: Need help. This diet is too restrictive for me

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Need help. This diet is too restrictive for me

Postby pundit999 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:05 pm

A whole food plant based diet, albeit higher in fat, will be better. Don't go back to animal foods.
This will be similar to Rip Esselstyn's Engine 2 diet.
Nuts, avocados, seeds and a bit of coconut should be fine for an athletic, young person like you.
pundit999

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:09 pm

nbomb wrote:I'll preface this by mentioning I've done this diet for 2 years now and am, quite simply, finding it too restrictive now. It's affecting my lifestyle, happiness, and social life.

I can either do a vegan diet (including coconuts, avocados, nuts) or I can do a low fat (including low fat dairy or fish - ie. Ornish diet) but I cannot do both.

What is the healthier option between the above? Does it have to be all or nothing? I don't want to fall off the wagon completely. I really think McDougall should be including a transition plan or some advice for people who can't fully commit to this type of eating 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

*Please do not bother posting comments that are negative, condescending or judgmental. They will be ignored.

Thanks

Hi nbomb,

I hope you are well. A couple questions for you:

1. What is your height and weight?
2. What are the reasons you can't do this any more? How is it affecting your lifestyle, happiness and social life?

Thanks, I look forward to your answers.

Sincerely,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby healthyvegan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Sounds like calorie deficiency. You need to add dried fruit. Dried mangos are my favorite and keep me from evaporating. The fresh young coconut seems like its not horrible if you eat one a day http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calori ... -148228076
10 grams of fat but 5 are saturated. Going to be way better than fish!

I wouldn't beat yourself up, just get the McDougall made irresistible. If you are super active then a weight loss diet is not for you! More refined starches & enjoy your nuts and coconuts & avocado. I can put 25lbs on in a few months just eating added nuts & avocado, its effortless. Makes for good before & after pictures when I slip back into olives/avoco/nut mode :)
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby patty » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:22 pm

nbomb wrote:I'll preface this by mentioning I've done this diet for 2 years now and am, quite simply, finding it too restrictive now. It's affecting my lifestyle, happiness, and social life.

This is a body mind and social disease. Know you are not a alone.. look at how many responses you have had. Keep hanging in there tweak your food and know by sharing you are helping others. Families aren't born under one roof:) We are all seekers of pleasure and avoiding pain, and practicing this WOE has given you a skill, that I am sure none of your family or friends have. One day they will reach out to you! Know you make a difference. Dr. McDougall has connected the food and money seats of the addiction bus, and no one gets thrown off the bus. Keep posting letting us know how your doing. Everyone cares.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:27 pm

soul food wrote:nbomb, Well great to know that you cook. I can see that not being able to have wheat and corn is an even further restriction. Can you have brown rice? They are making all these gluten free products now, like brown rice pasta. What about quinoa? What about hominy? What about beans? What about soy, like tofu and tempeh? Maybe just need to consult a vegan nutritionist to tweak your food plan or brainstorm here.

Soul Food

I eat beans and brown rice or quinoa pretty much everyday for dinner. Although lately i've been substituting brown rice for quinoa or millet more often as i'm trying to avoid the arsenic found in brown rice.

Gluten-free sandwiches and sweet potatoes for lunch.

Oatmeal for breakfast. Fruit as a snack.
Last edited by nbomb on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbomb

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:27 pm

nbomb wrote:It has gotten me pretty down since i'm only 29 and athletics/sports is a big part of my life. At the same time i want to be as healthy as possible. Not sure what to do?

Add nuts, olives, and avocados. I would not recommend adding coconut.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:35 pm

Ltldogg wrote:Hi nbomb,

I hope you are well. A couple questions for you:

1. What is your height and weight?
2. What are the reasons you can't do this any more? How is it affecting your lifestyle, happiness and social life?

Thanks, I look forward to your answers.

Sincerely,
Scott

height: 5'10.

Used to be 180lbs (muscular and lean) when i was eating more liberally. It was still plant-based but included: dairy, chicken, fish and eggs. And whey protein shakes after workouts. Not red meat though. Never had a taste for it.

After 2 years on McDougall down to 155lbs (not by choice). I look much more skinny and much less muscular. Sports/athletics has always been big for me. I started the McDougall diet to help combat an autoimmune disorder

I know i am not calorie deficient because for 6 months i was tracking my calories using cronometer dot com. I made sure i was in a caloric surplus. I ended up gaining body fat but my weight stayed the same, which was extremely confusing.
nbomb

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Starch solution diet with maybe some weight training and aerobic exercise should be able to get rid of more body fat.
colonyofcells

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:55 pm

colonyofcells wrote:Starch solution diet with maybe some weight training and aerobic exercise should be able to get rid of more body fat.

no. I weight train 3-4x per week. Hockey once per week. Eat a ton of McDougall approved foods. My weight goes down or stays the same. My belly appear fatter if i force-feed myself extra but the weight doesn't go up.
nbomb

Postby patty » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:21 pm

nbomb wrote:
colonyofcells wrote:Starch solution diet with maybe some weight training and aerobic exercise should be able to get rid of more body fat.

no. I weight train 3-4x per week. Hockey once per week. Eat a ton of McDougall approved foods. My weight goes down or stays the same. My belly appear fatter if i force-feed myself extra but the weight doesn't go up.

Why don't you list exactly or close to what you eat in a day... if it isn't too personal:) Sometimes we have a different idea what portion size is. And maybe someone can get a idea what is keeping you from gaining.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:21 pm

nbomb wrote:height: 5'10.

Used to be 180lbs (muscular and lean) when i was eating more liberally. It was still plant-based but included: dairy, chicken, fish and eggs. And whey protein shakes after workouts. Not red meat though. Never had a taste for it.

After 2 years on McDougall down to 155lbs (not by choice). I look much more skinny and much less muscular. Sports/athletics has always been big for me.

Well, your BMI is 22.2, which is right in the middle of the healthy zone. You could weigh down to 130 and still be a healthy weight (and lower weight is associated with greater health benefits).

More than likely you're just used to seeing so many hefty people that you think you are "too thin." Clearly you're not.

It's your body. If you want to eat more fat and gain weight, do it. But don't expect us to encourage you!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:22 pm

And, BTW, 180 at 5'-10" is overweight according to the BMI chart.
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:25 pm

nbomb
eat beans and brown rice or quinoa pretty much everyday for dinner. Although lately i've been substituting brown rice for quinoa or millet more often as i'm trying to avoid the arsenic found in brown rice.

Well..ya got me kid. I don't know.
I know that I have seen a vegan bodybuilder magazine, but god knows what they are eating?

Oh wait... where is veggies, the greens, the salads...? For the alkalizing ph part.

soul food
soul food

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:33 pm

soul food wrote:nbomb
eat beans and brown rice or quinoa pretty much everyday for dinner. Although lately i've been substituting brown rice for quinoa or millet more often as i'm trying to avoid the arsenic found in brown rice.

Well..ya got me kid. I don't know.
I know that I have seen a vegan bodybuilder magazine, but god knows what they are eating?

Oh wait... where is veggies, the greens, the salads...? For the alkalizing ph part.

soul food

i eat tons of veggies. At least one big bowl of salad a day with romaine, brocooli, cauli, celery, carrots, cabbage. Sprinkled with flax.
nbomb

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:33 pm

ETeSelle wrote:And, BTW, 180 at 5'-10" is overweight according to the BMI chart.

BMI charts don't apply to athletes
nbomb

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge