UPDATED: Need help. This diet is too restrictive for me

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

UPDATED: Need help. This diet is too restrictive for me

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:38 am

I'll preface this by mentioning I've done this diet for 2 years now and am, quite simply, finding it too restrictive now. It's affecting my lifestyle, happiness, and social life.

I can either do a vegan diet (including coconuts, avocados, nuts) or I can do a low fat (including low fat dairy or fish - ie. Ornish diet) but I cannot do both.

What is the healthier option between the above? Does it have to be all or nothing? I don't want to fall off the wagon completely. I really think McDougall should be including a transition plan or some advice for people who can't fully commit to this type of eating 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

*Please do not bother posting comments that are negative, condescending or judgmental. They will be ignored.

Thanks
Last edited by nbomb on Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
nbomb

Re: Need help. This diet is too restrictive for me

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:42 am

The vegan diet which includes avocados, nuts, etc, is similar to a Dr. Fuhrman diet, which I believe to be really cool and awesome and admirable.

It is OK to change your way of eating! See what feels good to you. You're not just a machine -- you're a human being who is here to have fun and experience pleasure in your foods.

I totally support your change -- Pursuing health in ways that feel emotionally unhealthy is probably not good for you anyways. Pursue health in ways that make you feel a sense of fun, a sense of happiness and a sense of pleasure!
roundcoconut

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:47 am

roundcoconut wrote:The vegan diet which includes avocados, nuts, etc, is similar to a Dr. Fuhrman diet, which I believe to be really cool and awesome and admirable.

It is OK to change your way of eating! See what feels good to you. You're not just a machine -- you're a human being who is here to have fun and experience pleasure in your foods.

I totally support your change -- Pursuing health in ways that feel emotionally unhealthy is probably not good for you anyways. Pursue health in ways that make you feel a sense of fun, a sense of happiness and a sense of pleasure!

Thank you for your positive comment. I have found it really helpful and uplifting. :-)

I don't know if i can live life without coconuts. Especially young coconuts. They are my favourite. I can eat 3-4 per day easily :eek:

I believe Fuhrmnan however also eschews saturated fats. Does anyone know if the saturated fats found in plant foods act in the same manner as the saturated fats in animal foods?
nbomb

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:47 am

I'm not sure I understand. If you are slim and can STAY slim while eating nuts, avos, etc., what's the problem? Just eat them. Many people cannot stay slim eating those foods, which is why we limit them.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:49 am

And I agree--coconut is to be avoided. It is supremely unhealthy. A little occasionally is fine, but it sounds like you want to eat a lot of it. Just remember that the more compliant you to the plan, the healthier you will be. If you wish to trade some of that off for coconut, we can't stop you.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:54 am

ETeSelle wrote:I'm not sure I understand. If you are slim and can STAY slim while eating nuts, avos, etc., what's the problem? Just eat them. Many people cannot stay slim eating those foods, which is why we limit them.

if anything i've gotten too skinny. I've always had a muscular build since high school - about 180lbs and fairly lean. With the McDougall plan i simply cannot gain weight if i tried. I'm down to about 155 lbs. Muscle mass has decreased dramatically. And as hard as i work in the gym it is simply impossible to add lean mass on this diet.

It has gotten me pretty down since i'm only 29 and athletics/sports is a big part of my life. At the same time i want to be as healthy as possible. Not sure what to do?
Last edited by nbomb on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nbomb

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:56 am

If there's a need to lose weight, a low fat starch based unrefined vegan diet is better. Can try rereading the starch solution book. Can also review the free program at this web site drmcdougall com.
colonyofcells

Postby Skip » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:12 pm

Instead of asking other people what you should do, I would follow my intuition or gut feeling on the subject as you seem to have a grasp of the subject....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:20 pm

nbomb wrote:I'll preface this by mentioning I've done this diet for 2 years now and am, quite simply, finding it too restrictive now. It's affecting my lifestyle, happiness, and social life.

I can either do a vegan diet (including coconuts, avocados, nuts) or I can do a low fat (including low fat dairy or fish - ie. Ornish diet) but I cannot do both.

What is the healthier option between the above? Does it have to be all or nothing? I don't want to fall off the wagon completely. I really think McDougall should be including a transition plan or some advice for people who can't fully commit to this type of eating 24/7 for the rest of their lives.

*Please do not bother posting comments that are negative, condescending or judgmental. They will be ignored.

Thanks

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl ... starch.htm
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/nyr.htm
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:29 pm

nbomb, ignore the posts where the people don't even bother to read your post as well.

I'd go with adding in the avocados and nuts, make some cashew cheese sauce and put in on some macoroni, or bean enchiladas. Are the coconuts, like a convenience food, meaning it's easier to eat them instead of cooking? Do you cook? Learn how to cook.

soul food
soul food

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:41 pm

soul food wrote:nbomb, ignore the posts where the people don't even bother to read your post as well.

I'd go with adding in the avocados and nuts, make some cashew cheese sauce and put in on some macoroni, or bean enchiladas. Are the coconuts, like a convenience food, meaning it's easier to eat them instead of cooking? Do you cook? Learn how to cook.

soul food

Thank you.

yes i cook all my meals! i enjoy cooking.

I should mention that in addition to this diet i also do not eat wheat/gluten. I have an autoimmune disease and wheat/gluten causes an unmistakable flare in my symptoms as well as severe gastro-intestinal problems. I went over 1 year without eating wheat. Then i had a *small* amount of sprouted spelt bread. (I figured spelt would be the safest to try considering it has't been hybridized like modern wheat). Oh boy, i had some severe stomach cramps and flatulence all night long.

So i cannot eat wheat/gluten unfortunately. Corn has a similar but less noticeable affect. This makes the diet even more restrictive to the point where i have lost almost all enjoyment of food. I think if i could eat wheat/gluten and corn, i could do the McDougall diet long term with no complaints. But unfortunately this is not possible.
Last edited by nbomb on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nbomb

Postby nbomb » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:43 pm

nbomb

Postby viv » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:48 pm

nbomb wrote:if anything i've gotten too skinny. I've always had a muscular build since high school - about 180lbs and fairly lean. With the McDougall plan i simply cannot gain weight if i tried. I'm down to about 155 lbs. Muscle mass has decreased dramatically. And as hard as i work in the gym it is simply impossible to add lean mass on this diet.

Here's what Dr. McDougall says about how to gain weight. https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl ... weight.htm

The regular McDougall plan allows high fat plant foods, e.g. avocado, nuts etc. so I don't know what your issue is. Have you been on the more restrictive MWL (Maximum Weight Loss) Plan? Stay on the vegan diet and include your favorite high fat plant foods and you will be fine. (Don't go back to animal foods, that won't solve anything!)
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:54 pm

Grains are not needed for mcdougall diet. Better to get most calories from tubers like sweet potato instead of high fat coconuts. I now prefer tubers bec. they require several times less water to produce compared to grains. Of the grains, rice requires the most water to produce.
colonyofcells

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:00 pm

nbomb, Well great to know that you cook. I can see that not being able to have wheat and corn is an even further restriction. Can you have brown rice? They are making all these gluten free products now, like brown rice pasta. What about quinoa? What about hominy? What about beans? What about soy, like tofu and tempeh? Maybe just need to consult a vegan nutritionist to tweak your food plan or brainstorm here.

Soul Food
soul food

Next

Return to The Lounge