Too greedy

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Too greedy

Postby sjbell » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:51 am

I am wondering if I just too greedy for this lifestyle. I love food and I consistently eat too much. How do I stop this?!!
sjbell

Re: Too greedy

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:01 am

What would you eat on any other lifestyle.

I can eat lots too. I guess the best advice is to eat whole lots of the lower calorie dense foods. Maybe ridiculous amounts before you dig into that potato. Or make a pasta primavera with a disgusting huge amount of vegies. Or a nice brothy vegetable soup. Or a huge salad serving bowl full of a greens and vegetable salad with some beans.

didi
dteresa

Postby patty » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:12 am

Once you are off of the processed food of the combination of SOS.. sugar, oil and salt, the cravings go away. Time will begin to work for you. Health will become wealth. There is a 190 degree turn.

Jeff Novick's Calorie Density dvd, helped explain this WOE to me. In his chart below, try to stay in the green areas. Processed foods, seeds and nuts are easy to overeat. Starch creates satiety, where you eat just enough:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby dailycarbs » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:55 am

Not enough info. How long have you been on this woe? Are you overweight or obese? If overweight/obese, are you losing weight or having trouble doing so? Etc, etc.
dailycarbs

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:50 am

Drinking lots of water and soups, eating starch based unrefined vegan foods will help fill up the stomach. Can get most of the calories from tubers like sweet potato and sweet potato soup.
colonyofcells

Postby sjbell » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:50 pm

I have been mcdougall based for 5 years but I have been diagnosed with ibs. I love veggies and mcdougall food but I eat too much and give myself digestive problems. I need to relearn portion control I think to stop the bloating/ uncomfortable feelings associated with eating too much volume /fiber
sjbell

Postby Dougalling » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:33 pm

HI

Oh, I know, I love love love food, it's the best isn't it. When it's so flavourful, it's hard to stop eating.
So, I make myself a good plate and put the rest of the food away.
If I am still hungry, I can make myself a small serving.
If I just want more because it is sooo good, I get a glass of water, I get some greens I can munch on. It keeps my mouth busy. I remind myself, that the next serving is in X hours.

It works, most times :-D
Dougalling

Postby Ltldogg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:14 pm

sjbell wrote:I have been mcdougall based for 5 years but I have been diagnosed with ibs. I love veggies and mcdougall food but I eat too much and give myself digestive problems. I need to relearn portion control I think to stop the bloating/ uncomfortable feelings associated with eating too much volume /fiber

Hi sjbell,

You could have a food sensitivity causing your ibs and over eating. Consider an elimination diet as outlined here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... s-to-food/.

Cheers,
Scott
Last edited by Ltldogg on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ltldogg

Postby healthyvegan » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:41 pm

True North Health Clinic deals with that via fasting to reset your cravings.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby sjsilver » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Getting the oils out of your diet is the key to making this work. Things became so much easier for me when I did that.
sjsilver

Could I suggest.....

Postby Halcyon8 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:35 am

Get yourself a copy of a little book by Laurel Keyes called "How to Win the Losing Fight?" You can find it for almost nothing on Amazon. It is a gem - much overlooked. It will be an assist. I guarantee.

Warmly,

Biscuit Grinch
Halcyon8

Postby babybuddha » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:54 am

What is your eating pace? I ask because I enjoy this good plain plant food SOS free very much :D And find myself gulping at times, such is my joy :oops: I think this may contribute to digestive distress and doesnt permit satiety signals to reach the brain in the appropriate time interval.

I have to remind myself frequently during meals to slow down, pause, chew, breathe etc
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Return to The Lounge