My fat rant

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

My fat rant

Postby dailycarbs » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:41 am

As my handle implies, I'm about the carbs. When sad eating friends ask me what percentage of my daily calories are carbs I say 80% but I've long suspected maybe I'm not being accurate and it's more like 70-75%. So I ran a typical day through cronometer and it's a whopping 87% carbs, 4% fat, 9% protein. It surprised me. I know there's a lot of fat apologists nowadays but in my woe journey of 4+ years I've done many personal experiments with diet and in every way I can see, fat is the enemy.* Think about it. Even for a sad eater, it's usually hard to get protein past 30% but it's easy to get an already obscene 40% fat diet to 50 or 60%. Of course, we have the ketogenic idiots pushing for 80%+.

With all due respect to Dr.Campbell, my microbiome tells me that the fat is what's going to bite us in the arse because as well all the known health risks of ingesting it, it's obesogenic and I'm of the opinion that if your overweight or obese, you're already sick and it's just a matter of time before you find out exactly how. Of course, if you eat animal fat, you get too much animal protein as well, so I suppose the point is moot.

* all our bodies are different, blah, blah.
dailycarbs

Re: My fat rant

Postby roundcoconut » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:03 am

I *do* love a good rant! Can I join in for a sec?

The funniest thing that I hear these days is how people are surprised that they share an inherent love of fat. They do this thing like, "OMG, you and I are *so* alike!"

So you'll hear people say, "Oh my gosh, I love avocados TOO!" Or "Wow, peanut butter is my downfall TOO!" or "Holy crap, isn't deep fried cauliflower just amazing?" Or even cocoa, which is very fatty -- people rave about how anything with cocoa in it is just delicious to them.

I mean, yeah. Of *course* these things are delicious to humans. We love them like a banker loves money. And by no means should we think that they are our bodies' unique cravings are messages to us. They are simply our bodies telling us that they have a great mechanism for helping us store energy to survive future famines.

On the flip side, these cravings are simply our bodies telling us that they have no equally natural mechanism for helping us shed excess energy to survive future disease and disability.

So, I dearly wish people would stop identifying with these tendencies to eat fatty foods, to feel that these tendencies are a part of their personality or make them unique. We have many things that make us unique and beautiful, and a love for avocados is not one of them! Just sayin'. :)
roundcoconut

Re: My fat rant

Postby dailycarbs » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:29 am

roundcoconut wrote:We love them like a banker loves money.

:thumbsup:

I'm so stealing this! :D

Personally, I've never food I didn't like (including and especially all the no-no foods). And that makes this woe easy because I love a baked potato. It's not like I'm paying penance or anything.
dailycarbs

Return to The Lounge