Fat is still bad for you

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Fat is still bad for you

Postby greentea » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:35 am

I was surprised to find a somewhat sensible article in the mainstream press.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/don-t-be- ... -1.2965140

You can cut the fat and eat badly, just like you can cut carbs and eat badly.

"There's a simple shortcut that's even better," Katz says. That's eating wholesome foods — things like fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, lentils and fish — in sensible combinations.

If your diet is mainly made up of good stuff, Katz says, you can't get it wrong, because then there is no room for the bad stuff.
greentea

Re: Fat is still bad for you

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 am

Oddly enough, Katz did a study in which he concluded that eggs aren't bad for your health.

didi
dteresa

Postby Ern2Win » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:49 pm

Fish is not good either.

* Environmental contaniments. PCBs, dioxins, mercury, etc.
* High in methionine...promotes tumor growth.
* Animal protein increases IGF-1...promotes tumor growth.
* As much cholesterol as any muscle meat.
* High in fat
Ern2Win

Postby greentea » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:07 pm

Note that I said somewhat sensible.
greentea

Postby LowCarbIsDeadly » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:00 pm

I guess its more sensible compared to someone saying eat bacon and eggs every morning and grass fed ribeye steaks each night for supper and load up your veggies with grass fed butter but in comparison to the Mcdougall diet its not sensible.
LowCarbIsDeadly

Postby Spiral » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:02 pm

LowCarbIsDeadly wrote:I guess its more sensible compared to someone saying eat bacon and eggs every morning and grass fed ribeye steaks each night for supper and load up your veggies with grass fed butter but in comparison to the Mcdougall diet its not sensible.

Katz offers reasonably good advice compared to many other high profile people. I wish someone would set him straight on eggs and fish though.

Katz seems like an intelligent person. It shouldn't be hard to educate him.
Spiral

Postby dailycarbs » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Spiral wrote:
LowCarbIsDeadly wrote:I guess its more sensible compared to someone saying eat bacon and eggs every morning and grass fed ribeye steaks each night for supper and load up your veggies with grass fed butter but in comparison to the Mcdougall diet its not sensible.

Katz offers reasonably good advice compared to many other high profile people. I wish someone would set him straight on eggs and fish though.

Katz seems like an intelligent person. It shouldn't be hard to educate him.

I seriously doubt he wants to be "educated." He's going with a certain meme that he thinks will sell. It's a Michael Pollan type vibe and that's great for high brow mainstream like the NY Times, advising mainstream personalities and politicians, etc. Once you go too far to either extreme, you lose a lot of audience.
dailycarbs

Return to The Lounge