My Own (Cheaper) McDougall Retreat

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Own (Cheaper) McDougall Retreat

Postby shimmergirl77 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Hi! I've done McDougall before, but not for very long or successfully. This time, I really thought about taking the plunge and paying for the 10 day retreat in Santa Rosa, but my van is going to be dead soon and I should really put that 5K toward a newer car. So, I instead decided to use my husband's corporate discount and stay at a Candlewood Suites (king bedroom suite w/ kitchen) for 5 nights for $431, plus the cost of McDougall Right Foods and other groceries. I only ran 1.2 miles away from home, so I've been able to stop in to hug my hubby and kids from time to time, but am still able to concentrate on relaxation and healthy eating. I'm also having a spa day with a facial and massage tomorrow.

So far so good! I have to say I think I could live the rest of my life on mashed potatoes mixed with Rice Dream and topped with Creamy Golden Gravy. That stuff is delicious! I also made the Chocolate Decadence Pudding and ate it with fresh raspberries for a special dessert. I'm solidly prediabetic, but have seen my fasting blood sugars drop down below 100 since starting the retreat, although it will take longer for my post-meal sugars to come down as I lose weight. Just thought I would share this alternative option for people who need a retreat, but who can't afford the big one. I've been reading a lot of McDougall articles and watching videos to help me pretend I'm in Santa Rose, although the snow outside tells me I'm still in Oklahoma. :lol: This has been just what I needed! :-D
shimmergirl77

Re: My Own (Cheaper) McDougall Retreat

Postby patty » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:42 pm

I am so grateful you are doing so well in Santa Rosa. And how great to be able to run by and hug your kids and husband. What is so great about still having your kids at home you are actually mentoring them while working your program. The difficultly of course all the different wants when it comes to food, but as long as you stick to your program, they will eventually follow as truth always follows. Please keep us updated on your McDougall Retreat.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby shimmergirl77 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks, Patty, for your kind words and encouragement.
shimmergirl77

Postby Spiral » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Excellent idea. Had never thought of this as an alternative to going to a McDougall program in Santa Rosa.

I admire your creativity and you unwillingness to be defeated by "tiny" issues like money. :D
Spiral

Postby viv » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:58 pm

Woo Hoo! McDougall Retreat in Oklahoma! I am def going to borrow that great idea.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby healthyvegan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Dr. McD should make an Ebook on "How to make your McDougall Retreat where ever you are"

Step 1. Find a nearby (or at your favorite destination) reasonably priced hotel/rental with kitchen facilities.
Step 2. Stop at the grocery store and buy a weeks worth of starchy staples & veggies, or get lucky and find a hotel near a great organic grocery. All based on your favorite McDougall recipes.
Step 3. Tell friends and family you are on an Antarctic cruise & will have no phone or computer availability (optional)
Step 4. (optional) book wellness/spa appointments as desired (massage / facial / sauna/whirlpool availability)
Step 5. Plan out your weekly daily activity (such as walking, bike riding, , swimming, or snow shoeing depending on weather & fitness level)
Step 6. Download a previous Advanced Study Weekend or Watch Dr. McDougall Youtubes during a certain time frame each day.
Step 7. Check out or purchase McDougall Books / China Study / etc and schedule reading hours
Step 8. Perfect all the recipes & make notes and share with friends/family when you return.

Step 9. Optional - Repeat until you achieve the Inner McDougall Force Field that lets you return to the SAD world and deflect bad foods & food ignorance with style and grace that makes everyone want to know your secret!
Last edited by healthyvegan on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby flabingo » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:34 pm

Great post! I visited Santa Rosa and sat in a class for 10 minutes. I observed the people there, and was impressed with the whole program.
I am very impressed that Dr. MCDougall gave you a platform to tell your story BRAVO TO BOTH OF YOU
I changed my health by reading the following books
China Study Colin Campbell
prevent and reverse heart disease Esselstyn
eat to live Joel Fuhrman
salt Sugar and Fat Michael Moss
forks over Knives McDougall
America's bitter Bill Steven Brill
Pat Palmer's book about health advocacy
My primary mission was my health which was okay, but now excellent
I wish the Administration would hire Dr. McDougall to be part of the health care program
In Finance Bill Draper interrupted his career to help
flabingo

Postby dinska » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:38 pm

healthyvegan wrote:Dr. McD should make an Ebook on "How to make your McDougall Retreat where ever you are"

This thread has such great spirit! I have to mention that Dr. McDougall's old 12 Day program book fits that bill, even if it's a little old, it's still good! That plus a couple of their DVDs can go a long way. I have a feeling Dr. McDougall feels he perfected his message in the Starch Solution, but he shouldn't discount the effectiveness and presentation of a little package.

I am definitely making a batch of Golden Gravy for dinner, what a great idea when there's still all that snow on the ground.
dinska

Postby scooterpie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:24 pm

I can't tell you how great this idea is! It reminds me of Dr McD's interview with actor Dirk Benedict who became a macrobiotic diet follower in a similar way. He sort of holed himself up with his food in a remote cabin all alone. It worked. The interview was quite a few years old, but he followed the diet for years and may still be following it because it yielded such great health results for him. His sons followed along once he came home, though I think they were quite young at the time.

I know it has great fans here--especially for people who'd never heard of Dr McD until it was published, but personally The Starch Solution is a snooze compared to most of the other books. I wouldn't ever recommend it.

Keep up the good work!
scooterpie

Postby normaltraffic » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:34 am

Great idea shimmergirl77!

Best of luck to you.

You and others have mentioned the Golden Gravy. I can't eat it because it is too delicious. :eek:

I'm a volume eater and the first time I made it I ate so much mashed potatoes that I gained 4 pounds in 2 days. :crybaby:

Joe
normaltraffic

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 am

At least once a year I visit my brother's palatial home in Arizona. Well compared to my little apartment anything is palatial. He eats plants, we are choosy about restaurants, shop for the same foods, cook the same type of meals, enjoy the early morning cooler weather for walking. Visit different sites and do a lot of walking and carry our own food in coolers. We often sit in the car and enjoy a healthful meal or take our food to a picnic area. Love to shop at Trader Joe's and other good places. And I always lose a little weight when I am there. Mostly because we like to keep busy and move around a lot so are not (as I often do at home) eating between meals, even on the good stuff.

Some of my kids and a nephew live there too and nobody minds when we bring our own food to family gatherings.

And we keep a careful eye on each other. I like to have another person around who eats the same way because no where else can I find that. So I guess this is my mini McD retreat.

didi
dteresa

Postby MINNIE » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 am

That is so brilliant! You found a great creative solution.

Thanks to the McDougall', all the information is available for free to those of us who could never afford to go to one of the "official" retreats or seminars.
MINNIE

Postby Katydid » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:14 am

I do an even cheaper version of this several times a year - I call it camping :lol:
I pack bottled water, McDougall Right food cups, instant oatmeal, raisins, tea, raw veggies and rice cakes.
I find a nice state park (I did say cheap :D) near athletic adventures: kayaking, lighthouses to climb, adventure parks with zip lines and canopy courses, hiking, dune climbs, remote waterfalls, etc.
I pitch my tent, turn off the phone and chill for 4-5 days.

Repeat until vacation days run out :unibrow:

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Return to The Lounge