Jazz for cows!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jazz for cows!

Postby MikeInFL » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:33 pm

I promised to reveal a farm animal that appears to enjoy music. I think they do! what do you think? I think cows are much more intelligent then we know?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKDu6cdXLI
MikeInFL

Re: Jazz for cows!

Postby Daydream » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:11 am

That is so cute! :-D
Daydream

Postby dteresa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGeKSiC ... LI&index=3

whole bunch of cute animal videos.

didi
dteresa

Postby greentea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:39 am

Love it!
greentea

Postby patty » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:47 am

Mahalo for posting:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Skip » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:36 pm

"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby patty » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:09 pm

Just amazing!!!

Humanity is changing:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby veg tom » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Even my dog enjoyed it :nod:
A is A
veg tom

Postby Wumpus » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:26 pm

With no reference to jazz appreciation, I can probably describe what you see in terms of a fairly dumb cow algorithm.

First off, cows are bred to remove most of the skittishness from them and the cows in the picture probably have enough good experiences to associate humans as causes of moderately-bad to good stuff. Humans are not clear predators to cows on a farm, from the cows' point of view, nor are the musicians making any sudden movements.

Cows are still herd animals though. They will try to bunch together and attend to anything weird because anything weird may be dangerous. When the lead cow heads in a particular direction to focus on something the other cows will tend to follow and also become more interested in the weird activity as they come in range. So the cows, not being particularly hungry at this time, line up at the edge of the fence and stare at the weird activity. It makes low sounds vaguely like a cow, and that's kind of interesting, but the noise is just weird and it's good to be aware of it. Maybe the humans will do something good, or something forceful, but we better watch them because they often do relevant things to us. Moo.
Wumpus

Postby dteresa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 pm

You must be right Wumpus. If they were enjoying the music they would have been dancing.

didi
dteresa

Postby MikeInFL » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Wumpus wrote:With no reference to jazz appreciation, I can probably describe what you see in terms of a fairly dumb cow algorithm.

First off, cows are bred to remove most of the skittishness from them and the cows in the picture probably have enough good experiences to associate humans as causes of moderately-bad to good stuff. Humans are not clear predators to cows on a farm, from the cows' point of view, nor are the musicians making any sudden movements.

Cows are still herd animals though. They will try to bunch together and attend to anything weird because anything weird may be dangerous. When the lead cow heads in a particular direction to focus on something the other cows will tend to follow and also become more interested in the weird activity as they come in range. So the cows, not being particularly hungry at this time, line up at the edge of the fence and stare at the weird activity. It makes low sounds vaguely like a cow, and that's kind of interesting, but the noise is just weird and it's good to be aware of it. Maybe the humans will do something good, or something forceful, but we better watch them because they often do relevant things to us. Moo.

The same way people gather to hear musicians, like in a herd at a concert? They even pay admission! And push and shove to get up front!

Not sure if cows would "attend to anything weird because anything weird may be dangerous". What about a buzz saw noise? Or jackhammer? That's weird. Kinda doubt they would gather to listen to a jackhammer. Or what about someone reading a poem. KInda doubt that too. I agree the low brass sounds are the attracting factor. But they also don't sound intimidating. I wonder if a symphony orchestra or rock band would have the same appeal? If not, and they were attracted to 'gentle' brass music, a test could be made if music was a factor. Play instruments normal, then play them making off key noises. See if they like both, or just the music. If they like just the music, not noises, that would be very remarkable.
MikeInFL

Postby FrancesUK » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:26 am

Those cattle are not cows they are bulls. They are enclosed in their field by an electric fence. If it were not for the fence they would lean over with more curiosity.
Frances
FrancesUK

Postby dteresa » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:28 am

dteresa

Return to The Lounge