Increasing iron levels

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Increasing iron levels

Postby Hayles » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi guys,

I am 27 years old and have been doing high-carb vegan for about 3 years now. I have cured acne, eating disorders (bingeing out on junk food - all cravings have disappeared), and a painful eye problem. I am so grateful for this lifestyle because it really has given me my life back.

The only thing is my blood test still tells me I'm low in iron (just in the anaemic range). Now to be fair, as a meat-eater I was also anaemic on a few occasions, especially as a 'dieting' low-carb teenager. My mums side of the family has also struggled with low iron.

A few months ago, after I went through a very stressful period (not eating enough greens and beans) my iron plummeted to 16 (doc said it needed to be at least 25). Then I took iron supplements and made more of an effort to eat more spinach, lentils etc. The next blood test it went up 6 points to 22. The problem is anaemic causes low blood pressure which leaves me feeling quite dizzy and 'spaced out' alot of the time. I also don't drink any tea or coffee and am very active (gym 5 times a week usually).

So basically I want to have good iron levels without supplements! I have been researching blackstrap molasses and see that alot of vegan females have cured anaemia that way. I've been taking it for 4 days now (with vitamin C to increase absorption) and I have another blood test tomorrow.

Does anyone have any iron advise here? I've been having a tbsp blackstrap molasses every morning with a glass of fresh organge juice, then I'll have a big banana spinach smoothie for breakfast, veggie sushi or veggie/bean/rice wrap for lunch, dried fruit in the afternoon and then baked potatoes with greens or rice and veggies for dinner.

It really is the last thing I need to sort out before I can claim that a high carb vegan diet has cured all of my ailments!

Hayles xx
Hayles

Re: Increasing iron levels

Postby HappyTummy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi Hayles,

I struggle with iron too. I haven't been able to keep my levels up with just food. My iron deficiency is what led to my Celiac Diagnosis (not saying you have it). Some people are just not super iron absorbers. I avoid chocolate, coffee and tea especially with meals, make sure I have lots of vitamin C rich foods with my iron sources and take a low dose iron supplement on a long term basis. I have also been trying this: http://www.luckyironfish.com/ We'll see how it goes. I haven't been able to be consistent with the iron fish as I have with the supplements. My iron levels are stable but remain at the low end of normal. The supplements just seem to work best for me.
HappyTummy

Postby babybuddha » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:45 am

I have not been able to treat stubborn low ferritin with diet alone. Even supplements take a bit of working out. Currently I am using a gentle iron - the active compound is iron biscyglinate (or something v close !)I find all other compounds eg ferrous gluconate/fumerate irritate my stomach.

Several brands out there, Vega, Swanson, Solgar - just find your price point and take your pick. Often marketed as 'gentle iron'.

I'm aiming for 50mg daily to build up stores, it takes 2-3 months to create red blood cells, patience is required. My GP wanted to supplement with 200mg+ per day btw.

One option is dessicated liver tablets ( I know!!) which a friend has had success with, who has similar issues. As an organic compound it might be more bio-available than a synthetic supplement, if the idea of bovine liver is acceptable to you - I see you are vegan. Don't mean to be controversial by suggesting this, but low iron is pretty serious and hard to treat for some of us, it seems.

I have been offered blood transfusions which seems extreme.

Another avenue is to explore is malabsorption.

Best of luck! And congrats on your successes. :)
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby babybuddha » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:09 am

Happy Tummy, thanks for the lucky- iron-fish link; what an inspired solution!

I was looking for the nutritional science aspect but I couldnt find it on the site. I might give that a whirl...
eat whole foods
expect miracles
babybuddha

Postby Katydid » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:07 am

I donate blood on a regular basis and I find that eating lots of greens (around a pound a day) - with a little citrus to "release" the iron - is all I need on a day-to-day basis to keep my blood iron at a level sufficient to pass the Red Cross' iron requirements. However, I do take a vegan 'gentle iron' supplement for a few days after donating blood to quickly restore iron levels.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby greentea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:33 am

HappyTummy wrote:Hi Hayles,

I struggle with iron too. I haven't been able to keep my levels up with just food. My iron deficiency is what led to my Celiac Diagnosis (not saying you have it). Some people are just not super iron absorbers. I avoid chocolate, coffee and tea especially with meals, make sure I have lots of vitamin C rich foods with my iron sources and take a low dose iron supplement on a long term basis. I have also been trying this: http://www.luckyironfish.com/ We'll see how it goes. I haven't been able to be consistent with the iron fish as I have with the supplements. My iron levels are stable but remain at the low end of normal. The supplements just seem to work best for me.

Thanks for posting this! I just ordered one and will give it a try. I love what these people do, it's such a simple way to help so many people.
greentea

Postby HappyTummy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:28 am

The lucky Iron Fish project is inspiring. I hope they do well.
HappyTummy

Postby Katydid » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:53 am

While I agree that an iron fish or cast-iron cookware can raise iron levels in the short term, in the long term metallic iron can be oxidized and can act as a free radical generator and catalyst. You don't want to trade anemia for Alzheimer's. For long term brain health, Dr. Barnard (in his book Power Foods for the Brain) recommends limiting the amount of metallic iron (and copper) and getting your iron from leafy greens and legumes. Cast iron and copper pots should be replaced with stainless steel.

Kate
Katydid

Postby HappyTummy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:29 am

Kaytdid — I eat lots of legumes and leafy greens and other iron rich foods, and I still can't keep my iron levels up. I need to supplement. I can tell you, I don't absorb all the iron I consume. My blood levels are checked regularly, and I'm in no danger of iron overload.
HappyTummy

Postby Katydid » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43 am

HappyTummy wrote:Kaytdid — I eat lots of legumes and leafy greens and other iron rich foods, and I still can't keep my iron levels up. I need to supplement. I can tell you, I don't absorb all the iron I consume. My blood levels are checked regularly, and I'm in no danger of iron overload.

My suggestion would then be an organic form of iron, rather than inorganic metallic iron. I take iron glycinate myself (VegLife Iron Chewables).

Kate
Katydid

Return to The Lounge