Reversing the Habit of Eating Tempting Food

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reversing the Habit of Eating Tempting Food

Postby DWu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:05 pm

I’m reading an interesting book, The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler, former commissioner of the FDA. In it, he argues that eating highly palatable food is actually an ingrained, bad habit. Fortunately, as with most bad habits, such as smoking, we can overcome this one as well and learn a new, more rewarding habit.

He mentions four parts to habit reversal, which I’m summarizing and putting into my own words here:

1) Being aware of your urges and cues to eat tempting food

This involves knowing all the situations that lead you to eat, and cataloging all the stimuli. Perhaps it’s when your senses are engaged, such as the sight or smell of a food. Or maybe it’s a stressful situation.

But once you’re cued, you’re not doomed. You still have a moment of control. At that moment, you have to say, “I’m aware of the urge. Now, I have a decision to make. Am I going to cave in, or turn away and triumph?”

What you’re doing here is bringing the setting, along with your habitual response, into your conscious thought. Once you pay attention, you have the chance to stop the bad behavior.

2) Engaging in a competing behavior

To resist the pull of bad behavior, we need to develop alternative responses that are incompatible with it.

What you’re doing here is creating a road map to guide you through your high-risk situations.

For instance, driving a different route to work to avoid the donut shop. Or making a grocery list and asking a loved one to go to the store so you don’t risk buying off-limit foods.

You need to be prepared beforehand with some other behavior, because the closer you get to caving in, the more powerful the urge becomes. But if you intervene early and start a new behavior that prevents you from going down the destructive path, then you’re more likely to be successful in overcoming the bad behavior.

3) Formulating thoughts that compete with and quiet the old ones

Much of what we do is guided by our thoughts, and the language we use to express them.

What you’re doing here is talking your way through the problem, reminding yourself of the consequences of your bad habit, and introducing new ideas that overrule the old ones.

So instead of saying, “That slice of chocolate cake looks really yummy; I’ll just have a few bites, and it won’t hurt,” we say, “If I’m brutally honest with myself, I can’t just have a few bites, because one bite will lead to four, and then I’ve eaten the whole thing.”

We can also remind ourselves of our goals. “If I don’t eat that now, I’ll feel better about myself – and look better – tomorrow.”

Or, we can repeat statements of self-control: “I don’t have to respond that way; I can control this, and can respond this way instead.”

Instead of responding habitually to the promise of the immediate reward of taste, we can make ourselves conscious of the long-term impact of eating hyper-palatable food. This helps us change the meaning of the stimulus.

By learning to not only think about the pleasure of eating an ice cream sandwich, but also of its direct contribution to your weight gain, you can begin to take control. Thinking about outcomes changes the way you feel about a situation. And changing the way you feel will change the way you act.

4) Having a support system

We all know that changing bad habits is hard. Having people around to help you recognize and avoid your cues – and acknowledging when you successfully overcome them – makes the process much easier.

That’s because people tend to engage in bad behavior in private. But if you’ve made a commitment to a person who knows your plan and is committed to being there for you, then it may feel embarrassing to cave in while in front of that friend.

The prospect of disappointing the people who care about you and who are trying to help you can keep you on track.

Regarding this last part, I think this forum is a great way to create a support system. There are tons of friendly people here who are ready to listen and help.

What do you all think?
DWu

Re: Reversing the Habit of Eating Tempting Food

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:09 pm

These can all be good strategies as part of an overall plan (starting with this woe and following the principle of calorie density). But there's nothing special about them. They may work for some and not for others. The mental aspect of this for me comes down to mindfulness. Mindfullness training and practice will help with many of life's problems because it's the very act of recognizing your arising thoughts and emotions as they happen. With that, you can actually make better choices in most/all situations in real time.

On a personal note, the way I dealth with my "highly palatable," "reward," "gateway drug" foods is by going deep into the belly of the beast. Baked goods are my weakness so I'd stroll by the supermarket bakery and experience the treats in every way except to eat them. I'd smell the sweet smells wafting from the counters and ovens, look at the wonderful textures and colors, and observe the happy faces of customers who lined up to buy them. Food is pleasure. Our evolutionary survival has depended on this brain reaction so it makes perfect sense. This is not a problem, I realized after a while—the same way that gravity is not a problem but simply a reality. In order to blast a rocket to the moon, one must recognize that gravity is a reality and design the rocket accordingly. Same thing with a healthy diet.

So after I had my fill experiencing these pleasure foods in my own new way, I'd get on with the my produce shopping. Far from feeling denied, I started to appreciate the other ways this food could give me pleasure and came to embrace and appreciate the foods I eat now which give me both pleasure and health.
dailycarbs

Postby LowCarbIsDeadly » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:43 pm

It was pretty simple for me to quit eating bad food I just stopped putting it in my mouth if its not a whole grain, legume, vegetable, or fruit. Now I wouldn't think of eating anything that didn't fall in those 4 categories.

Having received an education on nutrition from Dr. Esselstyn and McDougall I know better than to eat deadly foods. :D
LowCarbIsDeadly

Postby nayasmom » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:41 pm

I have OCD. This kind of program is worthless to people like me. I can no more control my impulse to start eating and not stop until the food is gone than I can control my impulse to breathe on a regular basis.

The most important tool I have in my arsenal is: whole food starches. For some reason, since I started the McDougall diet, I have had few cravings. Mostly I have wistful thoughts about stuff I used to enjoy eating, but those thoughts have never translated to actually eating the stuff. Then too, fear is a wonderful motivator for me. I was blessed to have pancreatitis, and believe me, I have exploited that tool effectively quite often. I have NO trouble saying "NO" to food that I know can make me sick again.

Robyn
Great spirits have always met with violent opposition from mediocre minds. Albert Einstein

[/url]
nayasmom

Postby Emily » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:53 pm

LowCarbIsDeadly, dailycarbs, and nayasmom, all your comments were helpful reminders/ideas of ways to avoid giving in to tempting foods.

LowCarbIsDeadly, do you completely avoid non-whole foods, or if something is made out of those plants, is that cool for you? I'm intrigued by your comments.

dailycarbs, that's a really cool idea, and it is very similar to how I regarded those kinds of treats during a time I was in the swing of the program without deviation. It's a nice reminder - and maybe an idea of how to create that frame of mind faster.

nayasmom, the way I got to that great place I mentioned in the last paragraph was by being liberal with the whole food starches. :)

DWu - thanks for starting the conversation! I realize I didn't comment on the book itself, but I very much appreciate your post!
Emily

Postby MINNIE » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:41 am

I agree that different things work for different people - there are many paths to mindfulness and you will find the one that works for you.

For me, I'm an artist and visual learner, so pictures either mental or real, are what I use.

Actually, I stopped having cravings for bad foods soon after I began eating this way. But if ever start thinking a little won't hurt in social situation, or I shouldn't hurt people's feelings by declining their food, I use visualization. It always works.

All I have to do is visualize what is happening inside my arteries! The animation in Forks Over Knives is a good visual to keep in mind. Or the illustrations in Dr. Esselstyn's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease. Or the many videos you can find online.

When I quit eating sugar, years ago, it was because I visualized the tooth decay that I saw in my dental X-Rays.

When I look at oily foods, I visualize the giant gallstone that blocked my bile duct for several extremely painful months while I waited for surgery. The surgeon gave me a big color photo of my gallstone, and I have the ultrasound image of what my gallbladder looked like! OW!!!!!

I will conclude by saying I have been 100% compliant since beginning this 2 years and two months ago. I don't crave the bad stuff, and in fact feel repelled by it. Visualization is powerful :D !

Well, you get the picture, as it were. Seeing is understanding!
MINNIE

Return to The Lounge