Food Addiction Videos---3 days left to watch!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Food Addiction Videos---3 days left to watch!

Postby Debbie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:20 pm

I kind of want to add a little bit to this statement above which is taken from the lady's excerpt....

Pizza, pasta, bread, bagels, chips, crackers those are often foods that people often binge on.
Those are the exact same foods that low carb gurus say is the reason why carbs are bad. What is the common denominator? Is it really the carbs? Is it really the flour? Is it really the sugar?

The pasta and bread I will leave out cause I have no idea if they are just plain, even the bagel is hard, but most bagels have oils in them, but I have not heard of a person bingeing on plain pasta...But most breads have butter or other fatty toppings, pasta is typically eaten with a sauce that includes oils or sometimes (my old fave) is butter and garlic and parm....The bagels typically are topped with cream cheese....

The common denominator in these other foods is....FAT!!!! Pizza is full of fat!! And salt. Chips are full of FAT and salt. Crackers are full of FAT and salt, often with flavorings.

It really bothers me to see so much emphasis put on the wrong part of the food instead of what the culprit really is. It is the same trifecta talked about in the Pleasure Trap book. Fat, sugar and salt or a combo of the three. It is not in and of itself flour, or sugar or salt. Its the combo on how they are eaten.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby dailycarbs » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:03 pm

I ran a 14" Pizza Hut cheese pizza through CRON-O-Meter. It's over 2300 calories with 35% of that being fat. Sodium is 5668 mgs. Now the typical person adds meat toppings, stuffs extra cheese into the crust, and maybe adds some "healthy" oily vegetable toppings to their pizza. In which case, the fat content will easily exceed 50%. Should be obvious what's going on here but only for those who care to look. Don't get me started on doughnuts and french fries.
dailycarbs

Postby Debbie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:32 pm

dailycarbs wrote:I ran a 14" Pizza Hut cheese pizza through CRON-O-Meter. It's over 2300 calories with 35% of that being fat. Sodium is 5668 mgs. Now the typical person adds meat toppings, stuffs extra cheese into the crust, and maybe adds some "healthy" oily vegetable toppings to their pizza. In which case, the fat content will easily exceed 50%. Should be obvious what's going on here but only for those who care to look. Don't get me started on doughnuts and french fries.

Exactly. And that was my whole point. We are missing the forest for the trees are in the way. Yes some foods are triggers, but its less about individual things like flour and more about what is put in with the flour that makes it more palatable. Even with most SAD foods, without other things added, its unpalatable...like butter. Remove the salt and its a tasteless oily blob...Cheese, remove the salt and its quite disgusting. ^^shrug^^ I guess I just see it differently anymore. Flour has always been called the staff of life. And now its given a bad wrap, when its not even the flour thats the main part of the issue with most foods people are eating.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby patty » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:44 pm

Down to Earth we are able to buy Dr. McDougall's bread and rolls. It is baked at a local bakery. I purchase a Oroweat Jewish Rye and have been making broiled toast with vegan paprika cheese without soy or nuts and tomato. Sometimes I leave the tomato off or make a Ruben Sandwich with the v. cheese and sauerkraut.

And I now make these Black Bean cookies in the Panini.

Only this last year on the Forums, did I learn how to make the v. cheese (it uses agar agar a derivative from seaweed) and tortillas. VegMommy shared the link about the cheese and Agnes helped with the tortillas. My desire to make the black bean cookies stem from trying to have something sweet to eat that is starch centered. Vegankit helped me the first time I tired to make Black Bean Brownies. I found though the cocoa was a trigger for me. A lot of the Asian deserts use beans. And of course the beans create satiety. My next attempt is going to make dough for Korean vegetarian mandu dumplings.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby 000 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:08 am

I follow a Bright Lines framework and find it really helped calm down my cravings. You don't need to spend 500$ for the "boot camp," her framework is on line and her Facebook page can be joined for a small monthly fee. There are WFPB modifications.

The reason for all the "secrecy" and pay-to-play is because she's coming out with a book on her program in the fall and she needed to build a platform to get the book published. I didn't like it either, but apparently that's what it takes to get a publisher's interest, you need a built-in customer base out of the gate.

But I believe the diet/outline of it is on line in various places at this point. Like some others have noted, it's a good adjunct for those of us who were/are emotional eaters.

Postby patty » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:10 am

000 wrote:I follow a Bright Lines framework and find it really helped calm down my cravings. You don't need to spend 500$ for the "boot camp," her framework is on line and her Facebook page can be joined for a small monthly fee. There are WFPB modifications.

The reason for all the "secrecy" and pay-to-play is because she's coming out with a book on her program in the fall and she needed to build a platform to get the book published. I didn't like it either, but apparently that's what it takes to get a publisher's interest, you need a built-in customer base out of the gate.

But I believe the diet/outline of it is on line in various places at this point. Like some others have noted, it's a good adjunct for those of us who were/are emotional eaters, which isn't addressed by people like Jeff Novick and Dr. McDougall.

I would suggest to explore whatever works for you, while at the same time use Dr. McDougall and Jeff Novick as your core advisors. Know you can live a nutritious starch based life for $3.00 or $4.00 a day. That will allow you to relax and set and not compromise your principles. The new paradigm is Health first Wealth second:) A new paradigm always feels uncomfortable when breaking out of the old, like a butterfly from a cocoon. There is a resonance happening where we are starting to understand our thoughts and feelings are just senses like the other 5: touch, taste, sight, smell and hear. The satiety allows us to think through events. Starch allows this too will pass:) Bryon Katie who does The Work, shares it is not the even that upsets us, it is what we think about the event.

Aloha, patty

Adyashanti Being Alone is a excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJixbi1 ... freload=10 as he shares feelings and thoughts are within us, but we don't own them. Separation/owning creates suffering. Dr. Esselstyn shared women with breast cancer aren't afraid of suffering or dying they are afraid of being alone. There is a difference between being alone and loneliness. When putting principles before personalities broadens our sense of belonging to a force bigger than "Me". Dr. McDougall connecting the corner stone addiction dots of food and money, everyone is included:) The reason no one wants to touch it is the feeling/thought of our fear of absence.
patty

Previous

Return to The Lounge