Any meditators on the board?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Any meditators on the board?

Postby patty » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:49 pm

I have been enjoying Richard Lang.. The Headless Way. http://www.headless.org/english-welcome.htm If you scroll down there is a free app ... And if you click articals, he explains the expiermients. He also has a free online course where he sends you emails.

Here are some video experiments..
http://www.headless.org/experiments-video.htm

Aloha, patty
Last edited by patty on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patty

Postby Melinda » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:45 pm

I've been meditating for over 2 years. I have missed for a couple of periods and noticed the difference. It has made positive changes in my life. :-D
Melinda

Postby patty » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:12 pm

Melinda wrote:I've been meditating for over 2 years. I have missed for a couple of periods and noticed the difference. It has made positive changes in my life. :-D

Isn't it great to sit and not run with your thoughts.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby elbow » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:54 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:@hazelrah:
I was duped by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche and his books, which are not even written by him. His Engrish is way too bad to even co-write ever a book in English. Listen to the guy on Youtube. If you go to his "co-authors" personal page he says he is the ghost writer for Yongey. Which is something that is easy to believe. That is actually what many-most Tibetan buddhist authors do. They have Westerners ghost write for them, Sogyal Rinpoche and the Dalai Lama do it too.

Second, they lie alot about Tibetan & buddhist history and make ridiculous claims for meditation like it is a panacea for suffering and that it should be the main pursuit of life. First, in Tibetan and other societies religion was mostly about buying or consuming karma, blessings and ceremony from the monks. Meditation had an actually small role in Buddhist history and almost no East Asian, Thai, Tibetan, meditates much or ever meditatied much. What they say is like saying to ignorant people that you can just train enough using my exclusive method to play like Lebron James. Some people have amazing mental fortitude and ability to endure, pain, suffering and cope. Just like you can increase your vertical jump and basketball skills especially if you are untrained, you can increase your calm and ability to cope to an extent with moderate meditation. But it has limits, just like there are limits for most of us in everything. We cannot become Lebron James no matter how hard we train.

I guess I'm still being duped by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche. I think he's wonderful. I'm sure the ideas in his books are his. I'm happy that he worked with someone who has a better command of the English language because I really enjoy good writing.

-barb
elbow

Postby eXtremE » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:37 am

LOL, some of you ppl make meditation too complicated. It is really a very simple thing to learn and easy thing to do.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Thrasymachus » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:01 am

@elbow:
Did you even read anything I wrote in this thread? This from the homepage of his alleged co-writer:
Eric Swanson wrote:Eric Swanson Homepage: Tibetan Buddhism

Written with a humility that makes his words resonate and helped by the skillful writing of Eric Swanson (co-author/ghost writer of The Joy of Living) who has a way with words that makes the pages go down easy.

If you listen to Yongey's Youtube talks he speaks a rudimentary pidgin English, which belies his claims of talking to leading scientists since childhood. If that were true past his 30's as he is now, he should have had greater mastery. I know I cannot have scientific conversations in Greek, despite speaking it amongst my family since birth. Further you encounter none of the pop psychology or science in his books, in his speeches and talks. A ghostwriter is someone who writes books that are officially credited to another person. That kernel of honesty by Swanson explains it all.

Authentic Tibetan buddhism is dense useless nonsense like "The Supreme Source: The Fundamental Tantra Of Dzogchen Semde Kunjed Gyalpo" translated by Namkhai Norbu. The populist stuff like Yongey's works is largely the product of Westerners who appear deceptively as co-authors, and is more cheap pop psychology than authentic, and arcane buddhism. The publishing industry has a long tradition of ghostwriting. Most books by celebrities and popular musicians are more the product of the ghostwriter given mere credits as a co-author than the person credited as writing the book. Honesty on such subjects just sells alot less.
Thrasymachus

Postby patty » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:10 am

Thrasymachus wrote:@elbow:
Did you even read anything I wrote in this thread? This from the homepage of his alleged co-writer:
Eric Swanson wrote:Eric Swanson Homepage: Tibetan Buddhism

Written with a humility that makes his words resonate and helped by the skillful writing of Eric Swanson (co-author/ghost writer of The Joy of Living) who has a way with words that makes the pages go down easy.
m

If you listen to Yongey's Youtube talks he speaks a rudimentary pidgin English, which belies his claims of talking to leading scientists since childhood. If that were true past his 30's as he is now, he should have had greater mastery. I know I cannot have scientific conversations in Greek, despite speaking it amongst my family since birth. Further you encounter none of the pop psychology or science in his books, in his speeches and talks. A ghostwriter is someone who writes books that are officially credited to another person. That kernel of honesty by Swanson explains it all.

Authentic Tibetan buddhism is dense useless nonsense like "The Supreme Source: The Fundamental Tantra Of Dzogchen Semde Kunjed Gyalpo" translated by Namkhai Norbu. The populist stuff like Yongey's works is largely the product of Westerners who appear deceptively as co-authors, and is more cheap pop psychology than authentic, and arcane buddhism. The publishing industry has a long tradition of ghostwriting. Most books by celebrities and popular musicians are more the product of the ghostwriter given mere credits as a co-author than the person credited as writing the book. Honesty on such subjects just sells alot less.

A flower is a flower in any language. Are you discrediting anyone who has a ghostwriter? In essence I think according to Sam Harris we all lack authorship. Free will being a fallacy, he recommends "Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence" by Rory Miller.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby christianvegan » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:36 am

Born again follower of Jesus Christ here. Pray prophetically, speak, study and listen to the Word of God, which is living and active.

Having been a past practitioner of Tibetan Buddism, initiated in vajriana tantra meditation, through Gelek Rinpoche of Jewel Heart, as well as obtaining non-dual awareness on my own, I used to be an ace meditator, non-dual consciousness, samadhi no-mind meditation. Could get into such deep states I would have no mind movement for, what could've been hours, even barely breathing. Then one day I asked God, "Is this enlightenment? Because thats what they say enlightenment is-reaching non-dual emptiness." He said, "Well, SOMEONE has to be perceiving NOTHING, DON'T THEY BELOVED?" Um...yeah. Got it. Kind of impossible to dissolve ultimately into an ocean of oneness, losing all perception of "self" and joining into non-dual bliss because we are a created, perceptual being.

Anyway. I realized even though I will admit it WAS blissful to experience my brain shutting up for extended periods of time, the presence of the Holy Spirit is way MORE blissful, AND I get to keep my self, WHILE experiencing and perceiving the fullness of God and His eternal, abiding Love. I learned that we aren't meant to "disappear," brothers and sisters, but to UNITE in PRAISE of Him who created us. Healing, provision, victory and authority OVER, rather than escape FROM, the forces of darkness and suffering, is what is our inheritance in Christ Jesus. Better deal, I found.

Non-dual awareness (an oxymoron if you think about it), I found, while relaxing, was a dead end and left me with myself, because wherever I went, there I was. It was a trick to deceive me from the TRUE path of liberation from suffering-the destruction of sin for all time by our Savoir, the Lamb of God who took away the sin of the world. Eastern mysticism is kind of a ladder leading nowhere. Having been on both sides, pretty in depth, I've experienced the fruit of both paths. Thank you so much for letting me share! I can think of no more important subject for human beings to employ ourselves into! God bless :)
christianvegan

Postby eaufraiche703 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:17 pm

started with TM years ago as well, but also enjoy Silva Mind Control, the works of Thich Nhat Hanh (walking meditation, etc)
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby soul food » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:25 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/01/busin ... .html?_r=1

At Aetna, a C.E.O.’s Management by Mantra

By DAVID GELLESFEB. 27, 2015

A CEO had NDE and made some big changes--yoga and meditation.

He read Capital in the Twenty-First Century, and gave his employees raises.

soul food
soul food

Postby katgirl55 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:09 pm

I would like to get into meditation, but admit I do not have much time to myself. I would need to isolate myself in a quiet room, and even that is too much effort. Plus my cats would bother me if I did this - they do not even let me use the restroom without scratching at the door. I will need to make it work for my situation if I truly want to make this part of my day. :)

Thrasymachus, I can understand your indignation at having invested in something and then feeling let down. This is where the phrase "your mileage may vary" would apply. It is a powerful lesson to learn what you do NOT want.

I have felt that way with some of the raw food and health "gurus" out there, especially when I have spent money on something they sold only to figure out that it had no value for me. The key words there are "for me", since others who bought their products might find them at very high value. At those points I look within, and try to find out what I am seeking and why I think I need to throw money at it, or why I am looking for answers externally. I get mad at being duped, when in fact it is me who has duped myself again.
katgirl55

Postby Dougalling » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:23 pm

I like Taoist Tai Chi.
For 20 minutes I only think of the moves I am making.
Dougalling

Postby Dougalling » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:23 pm

I like Taoist Tai Chi.
For 20 minutes I only think of the moves I am making.
Dougalling

Postby viv » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:36 pm

This is a short 10 min meditation I did today from YouTube- very peaceful and profound. Try it I think you'll like it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBEGGQiH-k0

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Previous

Return to The Lounge