flu shots

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

flu shots

Postby dteresa » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:22 am

http://www.newseveryday.com/articles/73 ... -works.htm

I don't know how reliable or accurate the above is but I found it on google news. Is it an inaccurate article meant to scare written by anti vaccine fanatics or is there really an insert available from the pharmaceutical company with the purported information? And has a family really been threatened because they did not get the flu vaccine?

didi
dteresa

Re: flu shots

Postby christianvegan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:33 am

vaccines: just say no.
christianvegan

Postby f1jim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:48 am

We do have to point out that vaccines in general have played a very important role in reducing many formerly deadly and dangerous diseases to an afterthought. Many diseases had been a scourge on humanity for a long time. Vaccines were mostly responsible for the near eradication of many of them.
That said the most recent flu vaccine was a disappointment in it's ability to battle the current seasons strains of flu. Dr. McDougall took the position of not recommending the current vaccine for general prophylactic use.
His recommendations on other vaccines remain.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Ern2Win » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 am

The Cochrane Collaboration currently has as it #1 review: Vaccines to prevent influenza in healthy adults

From the Key Results:

The preventive effect of parenteral inactivated influenza vaccine on healthy adults is small: at least 40 people would need vaccination to avoid one ILI case (95% confidence interval (CI) 26 to 128) and 71 people would need vaccination to prevent one case of influenza (95% CI 64 to 80). Vaccination shows no appreciable effect on working days lost or hospitalisation.

For the whole report:

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001269/ ... thy-adults
Ern2Win

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:53 am

christianvegan wrote:vaccines: just say no.

If everyone did that, we would all still be dying of measles, smallpox, polio, etc. Thanks to anti-vaccine extremists, there is now a measles outbreak.

I don't get a flu shot, but I got my childhood vaccines, get a tetanus shot every 10 years, etc. And children and old people should probably get the flu shot, even though it's not always that effective.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby vgpedlr » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:22 am

ETeSelle wrote:
christianvegan wrote:vaccines: just say no.

If everyone did that, we would all still be dying of measles, smallpox, polio, etc. Thanks to anti-vaccine extremists, there is now a measles outbreak.

I don't get a flu shot, but I got my childhood vaccines, get a tetanus shot every 10 years, etc. And children and old people should probably get the flu shot, even though it's not always that effective.

Right. Sonoma county is one of those centers of vaccine resistance mentioned in news coverage of the measles outbreak. My niece in Sonoma Cty is school age, and my sister has described this for years as an ongoing problem: Parents who refuse to vaccinate their children and consequently allowing these diseases to spread.

Maybe we vaccinate a little too aggressively, but diseases I only read about in history books as a kid are now back.
vgpedlr

Postby hazelrah » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:41 am

This is the first year I've gotten one. Now my wife keeps making fun of me because of all the problems thay had with it this year. :-(

I don't notice any difference.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby VegMommy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:41 am

Just seeing Mike Adams of Natural News quoted in that article was enough to turn me off. His site is a big mess of pseudoscientific conspiracy theory weirdness.
VegMommy

Postby Skip » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:54 am

Think how better off we would be if a WFPB diet was mandated in lieu of flu shots......
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby hazelrah » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:00 pm

Skip wrote:Think how better off we would be if a WFPB diet was mandated in lieu of flu shots......

Maybe, but you don't want people sneezing while they're doing the bypass surgery, do you?

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
hazelrah

Postby hazelrah » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:03 pm

ETeSelle wrote: And children and old people should probably get the flu shot, even though it's not always that effective.

Who are you calling, "Old?"

Mark
hazelrah

Postby christianvegan » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:41 pm

"Think how better off we would be if a WFPB diet was mandated in lieu of flu shots......" You got it, skip.

Actually, small pox, polio, measles, mumps (the latter 2 are self limiting, especially in relatively healthy people, requiring no treatment whatsoever) were actually almost eradicated naturally BEFORE the introduction of the vaccines for them. This is a hidden fact of medical history. Better hygiene and nutrition is thought to be the reason why.

The propaganda about non-vaccinated people starting the measles "epidemic" (not sure you can call it an epidemic. Thats funny) is completely scientifically false. Most of the people who got the "measles" were vaccinated for it. Furthermore, measles is not a deadly disease. There is so much misinfo and superstition created completely by unscientific propaganda on this subject its scary.

There was a town during WW2, I think in north or south carolina, where they couldn't get coca cola or sugary things for a whole summer and their new polio infection rate plummeted. Perhaps had something to do with the drop in sugar consumption.

I remember in virology class in premed when the professor said, "This is the viral THEORY. It is a THEORY." That got my attention and I never forgot it. (I have a degree in premed and some post grad osteopathic training, and have advanced training and experience in cranial osteopathy, as well as 6 years working experience in different allopathic medical settings-and yes, STILL say no to vaccines)

We have been sold swamp land on this one, mostly folks. If you actually study the SCIENCE, and the true history, you will see the truth of it. But you have to study it for yourself, not just listen to propaganda. That takes time and digging, and many don't want to do it. I'm ok with not vaccinating myself or my children. Somehow they survived. Miracle that that is.
christianvegan

Postby f1jim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:03 pm

I beg to differ. Here are some enlightening historical facts about measles:
1941 - 894,134 cases
1954 - measles virus isolated by Thomas Peebles, MD
1958 - first measles vaccine is tested
1962 - 503,282 cases (432 deaths)
1963 - first live measles vaccine licensed
1968 - improved live measles vaccine licensed
1970 - 47,351 cases (89 deaths)
1971 - MMR vaccine introduced
1978 - 26,871 cases (measles targeted for eliminated in U.S. by 1982)
1983 - 1,497 cases
Notice the difference between 1962 and 1970? Did our hygiene improve that dramatically? I don't think so. What was the big change over that time period? Did our nutrition improve that dramatically?
Remember, if you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby bbq » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:29 pm

http://www.vaccinationcouncil.org/2013/11/12/vaccines-a-peek-beneath-the-hood-by-roman-bystrianyk-and-suzanne-humphries-md/
England began keeping statistics in 1838, which was 62 years before official U.S. statistics were gathered. Looking at this data, we can see that the death rate from infectious diseases was high during the 1800s and declined from the mid-1800s to the mid-1900s to almost zero.
bbq

Postby bbq » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:10 am

http://www.healthsentinel.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2662:historic-data-shows-vaccines-not-key-in-declines-in-death-from-disease&catid=5:original&Itemid=24
http://www.healthsentinel.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2752:the-vaccine-war-a-forgotten-history&catid=5:original&Itemid=24
The authors use this graph to state "the attenuated live virus vaccines are highly effective, as shown by the decline in frequency of the disease." The graph shows a steady decline in deaths from the measles to the time the measles vaccine became available where there was a further decline. The decline after the measles vaccine was introduced was relatively small and the authors had to graph the data on a logarithmic plot to make the change noticeable.

bbq

Next

Return to The Lounge