My Unexpected Diagnosis

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

My Unexpected Diagnosis

Postby hazelrah » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:25 am

I don't know how many of you are Fat Free Vegan fans, but Susan posted a blog about her ordeal with breast cancer yesterday. If there are those, like me, who think that, when it comes to vegan cooking , she is the best thing since sliced bread, I thought you might be interested:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2014/10/my-unexpected-diagnosis.html

It sort of reminds me that I do what I can to stay healthy, but I should remain on guard for the many dangers that even this lifestyle can not mitigate. Life comes with no guarantees. Sometimes God is merciful, as when we get to use these forums to help us along, and sometimes He's vengeful. Remember to appreciate the former.

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Re: My Unexpected Diagnosis

Postby patty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:00 am

i remember reading awhile ago when looking for a recipe, that Susan was dealing with a life challenge. I am sure the surprise she is going to feel how much Loved she is as people relate how human she is:) Life is precious. Milk was put into women's breast to feed their young. We are all dealt Life cards,and we are constantly shuffling them. I love reading Sam Harris and how he says free will is a fallacy and Ramakrishna is reported to have said, “Don’t believe in free will but act as though you do”. Act as if is a powerful place of Being, to resonate being happy, joyous and free. Yesterday when feeling tired (people always don't listen to what I tell them in regards to their health:), and when I am physically tired I take it personally, to my surprise I automatically slipped into "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You" and "Bless You, Bless You, Bless You"... In essence Ho-oponopono meaning, I love you, I am sorry, Please Forgive me, Thank You. These forums are so very healing because we are reminded each day how precious our physical health is and when seeking a healthy recipe someone will refer you at sometime to Susan's site.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby hazelrah » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:07 am

Great thoughts, patty. Thanks for your sentiments!

Mahalo!

Mark
...the process that creates this boredom that we see in the world now may very well be a self-perpetuating, unconscious form of brainwashing, created by a world totalitarian government based on money, ... Wallace Shawn
http://www.anginamonologues.net
hazelrah

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:27 am

Living in a city exposes everyone to thousands of chemicals whether vegan or not.
colonyofcells

Postby Vegankit » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks for posting. Susan is my most favorite resource for recipes and when she did post that I did wonder if it was cancer. I'm glad that she was treated and is doing so well. I wish her all the best - because she is the best.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby PurplePotato » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 pm

Wow. I'm shocked she decided to go through treatment, let alone have a mammogram in the first place.
PurplePotato

Postby f1jim » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:57 pm

Diet is probably the most important factor in keeping cancer at bay but no one should fool themselves into thinking they are at zero risk for cancer. The environmental exposures we are subjected to are numerous. We live in a world where even those trying to help us do so by using xrays and cat scans. Just the very air we breath can be risky to our health.
There are no 100% guarantees in life. All we can do is take our best shot and hope for the best.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby yellowking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:12 am

our water is poluted, our air is poluted, our precious plant foods are sprayed with pesticides, sometimes genetically modified, we spend most of our time indoors breathing recycled air, exposed to who knows how many chemicals from the construction materials in our houses,work places, exposure to electromagnetic radiation from our wifi, cellphones and various electronic gadgets

we live sedentary and artificial lives mostly removed from nature...I don't know if just a plant based diet is going to be enough for true health and longevity :(
yellowking

Postby Yuki » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:53 am

Plant based or not, body weight matters!

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/cancer- ... e-evidence
Yuki

Postby eaufraiche703 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:22 am

Susan writes as beautifully as she creates culinary art with her recipes - what a poignant, well crafted message.

Thanks for linking this, Mark!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby HeidiH » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:39 am

Yuki wrote:Plant based or not, body weight matters!

That was one of my "take aways" from her sobering post too, plus her comment about the fact that she has now tweaked her diet to "reduce or eliminate foods I don’t need (sugar, soy and coffee) and to increase those I wasn’t eating enough of before (broccoli sprouts, flax seeds, organics)."

Her experience has made me more determined to especially eliminate sugar, refined flours, and to exercise daily (especially rebounding).

I'm thankful at least that she has probably helped many of us to once again re-evaluate. I still believe that diet can play a signficant role in being disease-free.
Heidi

HeidiH

Postby yellowking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:15 am

what are you trying to say that she is fat? well I googled her name and several pictures of an overweight lady showed up, and I mean 20-40 lbs over, this depending of her height which I don't know.

I'm sorry but you can't be fat LONGTERM and call yourself fat free vegan, if you have been in this WOE for a couple years you need to be lean wise like Dr M. or Neal Barnard and if you are a female the equivalent version, no excuses, seems she was sneaking some burgers in or something :?
yellowking

Postby eaufraiche703 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:45 am

we're all sending Susan intense positive vibes!!! wasn't she a star mcdougaller - couldn't find the story, tho.

ok, Heidi, this is off topic, but how about that rebounding? what's your routine? love the mini t, but always looking for more ideas!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby HeidiH » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:24 am

yellowking wrote:

what are you trying to say that she is fat?...

Not to cut in, but Susan herself said, "I plan to lose the extra weight I’ve been carrying around, which is the biggest threat to my health." I'm glad she was honest enough to mention this, one more reason for me to watch my own weight more closely. Susan has many lovely muffin and baked goodies recipes made with sugar, but I know if I make any of them too often, I gain weight whether they are low fat or not! :(

I'm looking forward to Susan's future recipes, as I'm sure they'll reflect her new found determination to be even healthier than ever! :-D
Heidi

HeidiH

Postby HeidiH » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:27 am

eaufraiche703, I'm afraid I'm no source for inspiration for you, I haven't moved beyond simply jumping straight up and down! :D
Heidi

HeidiH

Next

Return to The Lounge