ASW Day 2 (redux)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

ASW Day 2 (redux)

Postby f1jim » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 pm

By popular demand here is my somewhat abbreviated recap of Day 2 at the ASW.

Saturday is the longest day of the event because people start gathering around the lobby of the Flamingo around 6:00am, 30 minutes before they start serving breakfast and chat long after the speakers stop at 8:00pm. I called it a night at 9:30pm
For those having bloodwork done they also start at 6:00am.

6:30-7:45 is breakfast and a lot of chatting during the meal. I had a large share of griddle cakes and some kind of potato hash. Thee was also cold cereals, oatmeal, tofu scramble, and more.

The first talkw was Dr. George Guthrie speaking about the subject he has been studying for many years. The talk was entitled Insalting your intellegience? It was about sodium intake and the data over the years about the best level of intake for humans. He also included much of the data just making the news recently. In a nutshell he believes our sodium intake is fine but that we are potassium levels are too low. He strongly recommended getting more sodium from food sources not supplements.

Neal Barnard then gave us his second talk of the weekend entitled Ethical Issues in Food Choices. This is the first talk of his I remember having a focus on the ethics of food choices. All others were primarily on health information. There was still some health info but the focus was strongly on Ethics involved with food choice. He is a superb speaker and gives you the idea it's just you and he speaking in your living room. Warmth and compassion ooze from his delivery.

Next up was Stanford professor Christopher Gardner. He took us on an interesting journey through his career of research on nutrition and diet. Interesting but things didn't get exciting till Dr. McDougall openly challenged him to start researching the real, timeless, human diet that has made the human being thrive throught most of it's existence....the starch based diet. It was a friendly bit of jousting but Dr. McDougall clearly made his point.
Off to lunch and more chatting. Lot's of buzz over the speakers and their talks......

Carter Dillard was up next and he is the Director of Litigation for the Animal Legal Defense Fund. His talk centered around much of the litigation surrounding factory farms and the parts of the law they use as a basis for their lawsuits. An interesting topic and one that will be even bigger in the future. Lot's of discussing of Ag Gag laws and other ways the factory farms avoid discussions of the conditions at there plants.

Then came the return of Dr. Marc Gosselin, an educator at the Oregon Health Sciences University. A Radiologist by training Dr. Gosselin spoke at length about screenings and other medical procedures that promise much more than they deliver and the way their use is spun in the popular media. He spoke at a previous ASW and I remember him being excellent then and this talk was my personal favorite for the entire event. He is engaging, humorous, extremely bright and effective in his speaking style. One guy you hated to see stop talking.

Then came Gary Null with his talk entitled Death is a certainty, Dying a choice. Gary Null moved through the audience like a weed eater. He talked about virtually every subject you can think of. He has a syndicated radio show and I think he must have talked on every subject his program discusses. I am still trying to unravel most of his talk. He certainly woke you up!

Then a most interesting talk came next. The first formal talk given by Dr, McDougalls son Dr. Craig McDougall. I believe everyone was anxious to see him in action given his heritage. He didn't disappoint. He runs a program for Kaiser Permanente in the Northwest that patients and employees can participate in that uses a plant based diet as treatment for chronic disease. Clearly he has some experience in this area. His talk gave people hope that the larger insurers have some interest in the subject and it appears this could end up expanding greatly throughout Kaiser Permanente. Excellent job Craig McDougall and it was nice seeing him stretch his legs in this talk and show some of his own personality. We will definitely be hearing more from the younger Dr. McDougall. Dad should be rightly proud. Just as with Rip Esselstyn, Ocean Robbins, and others, the next generaton is ready to build on the successes of their parents.

Wow, dinner already? Seems like we do a lot of eating at these events don't we? More buzz and discussion.

Then got treated to a panel discussion/debate hosted by Whole Foods CEO John Mackey featuring Dr. McDougall and Stephan Guyenet. The two participants were asked a series of questions by John Mackey related to diet and nutrition and both responded. Stephan Guyenet has the view that there is no universal diet for people and that a low carb diet is great for some. We know Dr. McDougalls position so most people expected fire. Great questions from both John Mackey and the audience and both were polite and professional. Stephan Guyenet was an excellent speaker and made his points well but I couldn't help but get the impression he may have been moved by the arguments made by Dr. McDougall and the points asked by the audience. These panel discussions are very popular and I expect to see more of them in the future. The chatting with the participants went well beyond the official discussion and lasted till much later.

Officially over at 8:30 I called it a night at 9:30pm. Many were still talking after that. There is your wrap up for Day 2
Coming up....Day 3
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: ASW Day 2 (redux)

Postby baardmk » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:53 am

Thank you Jim very much for your report. It sounds like the weekend was thoroughly enjoyable. I'm waiting in excitement for any uploads from Dr. McDougall on YouTube.

f1jim wrote:Then came Gary Null with his talk entitled ... He certainly woke you up!

According to the report on Guyenet's blog you're being quite diplomatic. I can't evaluate his talk as I haven't seen it, but I wonder what the motivation was for inviting him. Was it just wanting to inspire conversation and to have a glimpse into the field of "alternative health" theory/practices which McDougall doesn't identify being a part of?
baardmk

Postby Katydid » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:16 am

I love watching the ASW talks and appreciate the live feedback. The speakers were wonderful for the most part - although I missed Jeff and the cooking demos.

That being said, I was disappointed by Gary Null. I got maybe 30 minutes into his lecture before I had to cut it off and move onto a real scientist. All I could think of was - this guy really IS a quack! Gary may be a FOJ (friend of John) - but really? Bad science and dangerous, dangerous advice :x.

I'm OK with alternative advice at the ASW and thought Dr. Gardner was fabulous and made some great points. Dr. M may have scored some points at the end but Dr. Gardner brought up the very real problem of funding. Maybe what we need to get a Kickstarter going to fund a Stanford McDougall vs . Atkins study :D

I skipped ahead to the always wonderful Dean Ornish - now to go back and fill in the blanks.

Thanks again.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Pudgypumpkin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:54 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea how wondersull it is to read your recap and feel a little of the excitement you must have felt.

Thanks again - heading over to read day 3

Karen
Pudgypumpkin - who is working on becoming a Sleekleek!
One potato, two potato, three potato, four - I'm a McDougalling Starchivore!
Pudgypumpkin

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:11 pm

My sincere thanks to all of the posters for their comments on the recaps. After the first day it appeared that interest was low. After accidentally losing my entire day 2 recap because of a wifi connection loss I was reluctant to retype the entire process if there was little interest. I now know otherwise. For those that posted asking for the recaps, and for those that PM'd me looking for them I thank you for the wake up call that the interest was indeed there.
I had no idea so many people were looking for this kind of information from the events. I will be diligent about posting this information in the future. If this information is helpful to people than it is worth the small effort to post it. I've had a couple of people that say it was the recaps that have them committed to attend a future ASW. I couldn't be more excited than to get the opportunity to meet many of you in person.
Thanks
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:34 pm

Even us old-timers who have bought the streaming in the past appreciate these recaps. I sometimes wait to read how the speakers were before laying down the $150 to stream them. Sometimes I wind up not bothering, but mostly I do. just wanted to make sure the speakers, especially those who aren't supportive of the McDougall way of eating, are interesting enough to listen to.

Dr. McD's lectures are always worth the money, as are Jeff's and Doug's. Some of the others, not so much. There's a big gap in the ASW weekends without Jeff. And I hope Dr. McD puts Doug's new lecture on DVD for those of us want to keep it to play over and over again for years to come.

We may not come out and ask for the recaps, but we certainly do appreciate them and wait for them to appear. Thanks to you and the others who do attend for telling those of us who will probably never get there how it really is. Aside from a trip to Comic Con, a visit to one of the McDougall programs tops my bucket list. :nod:
VeggieSue

Postby molly25 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:58 pm

I didn't see anything on YouTube for this meeting. How soon will they be on YouTube.
I stand with the people of Ferguson against white supremacy and cop violence.
molly25

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:05 pm

Jim, I appreciate the recaps and all you do. Without you we might not have this forum. You do us all a huge service.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby bestbatchyet » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:19 pm

Dr Guthrie is my doctor in Orlando, although I only see him once a year for a mandatory physical that my work requires. I usually have a nice chat with him for about 1/2 hour. He has videos on a number of subjects located at the below link that may be of interest.

http://healthministriesflc.org/?page_id=7

Just scroll down a little.
bestbatchyet

Postby VeggieSue » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:54 am

molly25 wrote:I didn't see anything on YouTube for this meeting. How soon will they be on YouTube.

They usually aren't. If you want to see all the lectures you have to sign up and pay $150.

Once in a while Dr. McDougall will release either snippets of or a whole lecture by either himself or one of the guests, but that's rare, maybe once a year for a whole lecture.

The snippets, either of a lecture or interview done at another time during the event, will appear now and then, sometimes many months after the weekend. If you go to the main page of this site:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/index.php

the newest one will appear on the front page and on the Videos page:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/videos/

you'll find all of them.

Directions on how to sign up to be notified when a new video is ready is on that page in the last link in the list of McDougall Moments.
VeggieSue

Postby molly25 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:34 pm

So who do they hope to reach if it's not posted for public consumption? 400 people who attended and already know the drill and another handful of peeps who buy the videos? Seems like you would want to use every available method to get as much information out as possible to as many people as possible.

I've seen enough of Lisle on YouTube, the others not so much. Barnard's smokin' hot, though. I could watch him read the phone book.
I stand with the people of Ferguson against white supremacy and cop violence.
molly25

Postby f1jim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:04 pm

The speakers at these events are independent people. They have rights to there own material. Some protect that material others do not. This may be why we no longer see DVD's of the event as in the early ones. Dr. McDougall does tend to post his talks online on Youtube, this website, Vegsource, etc. These are all individual decisions. I'd love to have all speakers post all their talks for free. For many this is their livelihood. The proceeds from their talks support them. Others don't wish to be in the public spotlight in a larger arena. Dr. McDougall has spent many years convincing some speakers to attend.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:13 pm

Jim, thanks for the ASW Day 2 recap. I always look forward to your take on the ASW which is honest and insightful. Although we've never attended an ASW, we've been their 'virtually' numerous times via the Internet broadcast. It's great to see familiar faces in the audience too!
Rob

Return to The Lounge