Slow Discussion Board

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Slow Discussion Board

Postby landog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Ever since the 'new' discussion board went online, the wait time for response from this site makes for a poor end-user experience. There is a delay in opening the site, and delays in navigating the site. I find it frustrating, so I have been just not coming around much.

I have used this site from multiple computers and locations with very good internet connections, so I can reasonably conclude that this issue is not on my end.

In general, one might suspect that some computing resource on the web server / database server / back-end storage is inadequate or over-subscribed.

This is a plea for someone to look into the problem and address it. I think that this forum is a valuable resource that may be under-utilized due to these problems.

Thanks,
-dog
landog

Re: Slow Discussion Board

Postby f1jim » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:22 pm

I can assure you not only are the people that manage the website aware of the issues but they are working on them as we speak. I don't think it will be much longer before the differences will be noticeable.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby RAS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Oh,I thought it was just my computer,or my poor computer skills. :-)
RAS

Postby viv » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:40 pm

I have no problem with wait time, it's fast for me. I'm on a macbook. Could be your internet connection?
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby dynodan62 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:43 pm

I HAVE noticed the new forum pages take longer to load.

P.S. Anyone out there who is more savvy with iPads have any tips re: how to insert/post a web link on the forum? Only way I know is to send it to myself in an email, and then go to my desktop iMac to drag it.
dynodan62

(=== MY STRATEGY ===) Re: Slow Discussion Board

Postby docscience » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:54 pm

I quite often have 5 to 15 second waits for a page to open. When I read this topic, I decided to count the seconds to time my page openings. It dose not bother me now. At one point, a couple months ago, it was taking more than 30 seconds on average, to open a page, but that only lasted a couple days, and I never really knew why.

--- What I do now, is leave one window open on the lounge topic headings.
--- I choose a topic to read, and right click it, and choose "open in a new (2nd) window" .
--- Before looking at that page, I go back to the "lounge topic headings" window and check if there is another topic that I want to read. If so, I right click that one, and open in in a new, (3rd) window.
--- I do not wait for it to open, but go back to my first topic, which is now opened in the second window.
--- It only takes a fraction of a second to switch windows, so I seldom am ever waiting for a topic to open in a window.

docscience

Postby theresam » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm not very tech saavy, so pardon if I'm incorrect, but does the site need a better host, or more bandwidth, lol, or whatever its called?
theresam

Postby docscience » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Quite often, if one wants to get more band width, or a different provider with faster access, the price to run the website starts to become much more expensive. More band width can get quite pricey. "I would prefer to have the existing delays, being as I can manage them reasonably well, as i wrote about, just above, rather then having to have fees needed for users, to cover costs.
Some boards have started adding advertising to cover costs for faster access, but so far this one has been able to not do that.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Re: (=== MY STRATEGY ===) Re: Slow Discussion Board

Postby VeggieSue » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 am

docscience wrote:I quite often have 5 to 15 second waits for a page to open.

That's about the wait I have, too. It's longer if I click to "read first unread post" and it's on page 45 or whatever, quicker if it's on the same page.

--- What I do now, is leave one window open on the lounge topic headings.
--- I choose a topic to read, and right click it, and choose "open in a new (2nd) window" .

I first click the "unread posts" link when I get to the forums and choose which of those I want to read. I use Firefox or Chrome and just click to open each one in a new *tab*, not a whole new window. Uses much less resources. My son cringes when he walks in and sees me with 30 or more tabs open at times.
VeggieSue

Postby olindaspider » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Has the discussion board speed gotten faster? It seems better to me.
olindaspider

Postby f1jim » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:23 pm

It's still being worked on.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby landog » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:36 am

olindaspider wrote:Has the discussion board speed gotten faster? It seems better to me.

I would agree! I've had good response the past couple of days.
landog

Postby astronaut23 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:18 pm

It seems real slow today not slow to come up but slow as in no body is posting anything.
astronaut23

Postby danarmstrong » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:46 am

I hope you will now find the site performance consistently beyond satisfactory.
danarmstrong

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:09 am

I noticed it was down for a bit early this morning. It still works great in Chrome, and it's now faster in Firefox, as fast as it was prior to the upgrade.

Thanks, IT guys!
VeggieSue

Next

Return to The Lounge