the importance of bacteria (gut, food, health)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: the importance of bacteria (gut, food, health)

Postby soul food » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:47 pm

This video is a little bit better that the first one I posted because it has charts with the words, which most of us would be unfamiliar with. Dr. Stphanie Seneff doesn't start talking until about 19 to 20 minutes. She is a research scientist at MIT and her phd is in computer science.

actually I want to go back to the first video because more radical theories are in that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqWwhggnbyw

edit add
(Prof. Don Huber, retired prof from Purdue in plant pathology)

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... foods.aspx

It’s important to realize that glyphosate is not “just” an herbicide. As explained by Dr. Huber, it was first patented as a mineral chelator. It immobilizes nutrients, so they’re not physiologically available for your body.

“You may have the mineral [in the plant], but if it’s chelated with glyphosate, it’s not going to be available physiologically for you to use, so you’re just eating a piece of gravel,” Dr. Huber says.

Naturally, health effects are bound to occur if you’re consistently eating foods from which your body cannot extract critical nutrients and minerals. Mineral deficiencies can lead to developmental and mental health issues, for example. Glyphosate is also patented as an antibiotic—and a very effective one at that— against a large number of beneficial organisms. Unfortunately, like all antibiotics, it also kills vitally important beneficial soil bacteria and human gut bacteria.

“Lactobacillus, Bifidobacterium, Enterococcus faecalis—these are organisms that keep you healthy either by providing accessibility to the minerals in your food or producing many of the vitamins that you need for life. They’re also the natural biological defenses to keep Clostridium, Salmonella, and E.coli from developing in your system,” Dr. Huber explains.

“When you take the good bacteria out, then the bad bacteria fill that void, because there aren’t any voids in nature. We have all of these gut-related problems, whether it’s autism, leaky gut, C. difficile diarrhea, gluten intolerance, or any of the other problems. All of these diseases are an expression of disruption of that intestinal microflora that keeps you healthy.”

Glyphosate was first patented as a chelator in 1964 by Stauffer Chemical Co. It was patented by Monsanto and introduced as an herbicide in 1974. And then in 1996, Roundup Ready crops hit the market. There’s been a steep increase in the usage of Roundup since then, because you can apply it multiple times without damaging your crop. Making matters worse, they’re now also using glyphosate as a ripening agent—even for non-GMO crops. It’s applied right before harvest time to ripen off the crop.

“We have about a five-fold increase in glyphosate usage on many of our GMO crops. With the Roundup Ready-resistant weeds, we see that rate going up exponentially,” he says.

sample of some of the charts

glyphosate inhibits enzymes in the shikimate pathway involved in the synthesis of tyrosine, tryptophan and phenylaldine (the three aromatic amino acids...I would like to know why they are called aromatic?)
Our gut bacteria have this pathway and we rely upon them to supply us with essential amino acids. We can't make those amino acids.

Glyphosate biological effects
depletes aromatic amino acids and methionine
disrupts gut bacteria: studies in chickens, cows, pigs show overgroth of pathogens

disrupts cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes which are involved in many biological functions
depletes important minerals; calcium, manganese, zinc, cobalt, iron
likely impairs sulfate synthesis and sulfate transport

Glyphosate depletes aromatic amino acids and methionine

Tyryptophan----serotonin-----melatonin
serotonin deficiency is linked to obesity, autism, alzheimers, depression and violent behavior

melatonin controls sleep/wake cycle

trosine----dopamine---adrenaline and melanin
dopamine deficiency leads to Parkinson's disease
Malanin in skin protects from UV exposure
methione is an essential sulfur containing amino acid

disrupts cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes which are involved in:
regulation of sterols like Vit. D, cholesterol, and sex hormones
bile acid production
detoxifying environmental toxins
stabilizing blood (hemorraging and blood clots)
Last edited by soul food on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
soul food

Postby Wumpus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:09 pm

soul food wrote:Dr. Stphanie Seneff doesn't start talking until about 19 to 20 minutes. She is a research scientist at MIT and her phd is in computer science.

So she's not qualified to speak on the topic as an expert, and she's in a field which, like engineering, is somewhat prone to people with kooky beliefs? The article which was linked before has her citing a review article in a pretty low impact journal that does not specialize in medicine or nutrtition or oncology or toxicology, by a single author who thinks it's a great idea to cite Seralini's paper as if it were a study seriously trying to see if the rats under study were getting cancer due to glyphosate.

Why should I trust her on a topic (glyphosate/Roundup/Monsanto/GMOs) which is inherently contentious in the popular sphere at present and prone to a lot of fearmongering with no basis in fact?
Wumpus

Postby soul food » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:31 pm

Wumpus, don't trust anyone but keep an OPEN MIND and keep studying.
That's what I do.

soul food
soul food

Postby Wumpus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:37 pm

soul food wrote:Wumpus, don't trust anyone but keep an OPEN MIND and keep studying.
That's what I do.

soul food

That's what I do too but I try to focus on credible sources from credible people. I don't listen to arguments arbitrarily just because someone recommends them. The world is full of bad arguments which people recommend nonetheless.
Wumpus

Postby soul food » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:42 pm

Well hopefully she'll cause enough of a stir that people will start trying to prove it all wrong. And then we'll know more.

Experts are overrated along with science and rationalism.

Actually I consulted my gut the other day and it says there is something wrong with the wheat..& grains..in our world.

soul food

edit add

http://www.alternet.org/food/meet-contr ... 1#bookmark

FOOD
AlterNet / By Ari LeVaux

Meet the Controversial MIT Scientist Who Claims She Discovered a Cause of Gluten Intolerance
Does she finally have the answer?

Here is how she uses the computers in her work.

Recently what I’ve gotten really interested in is processing the literature. So if you take the research literature on some topic, for example glyphosate, you can let the computer use NLP [Natural Language Processing] to help you organize the information that’s in the articles, and help you figure out the story. I think it’s a very powerful method for helping a biologist understand the biology, biochemistry and medical literature, and interpret it.

LV:Do you have a biology lab?

SS: No. It’s all computer science. It’s all synthesis. So basically what I do is I read papers and I process them with the computer to help me understand them and interpret them and generalize and build a story. So it’s really a matter of studying. Mostly what I do now is study, and then write. Trying to understand biology. I have an undergraduate degree from MIT in biology, and I also spent one year in graduate school in biology before switching over to computer science. And my PhD was on an auditory model for the human processing of speech. So that also involved biology, neurology. I’m not a complete ignoramus in the field of biology.
Last edited by soul food on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
soul food

Postby Wumpus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:51 pm

soul food wrote:Experts are overrated along with science and rationalism.

Not sure what you mean by that, but taken at face value it certainly begs the question about what irrational, unscientific mode of thinking you have in mind as a better way of thinking about this topic.
Wumpus

Postby soul food » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:16 pm

Wumpus quote,
Not sure what you mean by that, but taken at face value it certainly begs the question about what irrational, unscientific mode of thinking you have in mind as a better way of thinking about this topic.

Wumpus, that was just a general statement about life.
The scientific mode of thinking is fine for this discussion.

I guess Seneff does have a degree in biology.

soul food
soul food

Postby Wumpus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:03 pm

soul food wrote:Wumpus quote,

Wumpus, that was just a general statement about life.
The scientific mode of thinking is fine for this discussion.

I guess Seneff does have a degree in biology.

soul food

A B.S. in biophysics, to be precise. Not in stuff about chemistry and the gut lining, and as far as I know, nil experience in peer reviewed research on these types of topics. I would be interested to see what aspects of her argument make use of her biophysics background. This background does deserve some credit, but because it is only an undergraduate degree in a subject that doesn't focus too well on the topic under consideration, I'm not inclined to give her much expert credibility on this topic, particularly in light of the way in which I've seen her credibility erode due to problems in the way in which I've seen her select sources.
Wumpus

Postby nbomb » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:41 am

Stephanie Seneff is 100% accurate about glyphosate. I don't give a rat's ass what her degree is.
nbomb

Postby Wumpus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:17 am

nbomb wrote:Stephanie Seneff is 100% accurate about glyphosate.

What makes you so certain?
Wumpus

Postby nbomb » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:54 pm

Wumpus wrote:

i've read your posts. You like to cherry pick the evidence and refute anything you disagree with. So i'm not going to waste my time.

Keep lsitening to the medical doctors with their fancy degrees. I'm sure they will lead you to salvation.
nbomb

Postby soul food » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:59 pm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 040809.php

8-Apr-2009

Autoimmunity Research Foundation

Vitamin D may exacerbate autoimmune disease

Deficiency in vitamin D has been widely regarded as contributing to autoimmune disease, but a review appearing in Autoimmunity Reviews explains that low levels of vitamin D in patients with autoimmune disease may be a result rather than a cause of disease and that supplementing with vitamin D may actually exacerbate autoimmune disease.

Authored by a team of researchers at the California-based non-profit Autoimmunity Research Foundation, the paper goes on to point out that molecular biologists have long known that the form of vitamin D derived from food and supplements, 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-D), is a secosteroid rather than a vitamin. Like corticosteroid medications, vitamin D may provide short-term relief by lowering inflammation but may exacerbate disease symptoms over the long-term.

The insights are based on molecular research showing that 25-D inactivates rather than activates its native receptor - the Vitamin D nuclear receptor or VDR. Once associated solely with calcium metabolism, the VDR is now known to transcribe at least 913 genes and largely control the innate immune response by expressing the bulk of the body's antimicrobial peptides, natural antimicrobials that target bacteria.

Written under the guidance of professor Trevor Marshall of Murdoch University, Western Australia, the paper contends that 25-D's actions must be considered in light of recent research on the Human Microbiome. Such research shows that bacteria are far more pervasive than previously thought - 90% of cells in the body are estimated to be non-human - increasing the likelihood that autoimmune diseases are caused by persistent pathogens, many of which have yet to be named or have their DNA characterized.

Marshall and team explain that by deactivating the VDR and subsequently the immune response, 25-D lowers the inflammation caused by many of these bacteria but allows them to spread more easily in the long-run. They outline how long-term harm caused by high levels of 25-D has been missed because the bacteria implicated in autoimmune disease grow very slowly. For example, a higher incidence in brain lesions, allergies, and atopy in response to vitamin D supplementation have been noted only after decades of supplementation with the secosteroid.

Furthermore, low levels of 25-D are frequently noted in patients with autoimmune disease, leading to a current consensus that a deficiency of the secosteroid may contribute to the autoimmune disease process. However, Marshall and team explain that these low levels of 25-D are a result, rather than a cause, of the disease process. Indeed, Marshall's research shows that in autoimmune disease, 25-D levels are naturally down-regulated in response to VDR dysregulation by chronic pathogens. Under such circumstances, supplementation with extra vitamin D is not only counterproductive but harmful, as it slows the ability of the immune system to deal with such bacteria.

The team points out the importance of examining alternate models of vitamin D metabolism. "Vitamin D is currently being recommended at historically unprecedented doses," states Amy Proal, one of the paper's co-authors. "Yet at the same time, the rate of nearly every autoimmune disease continues to escalate."

Well I don't know if these people are nut jobs or not, but that is interesting.

soul food

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit add

I've gone back and added links and notes to the glyphosate/Stephanie Seneff material

soul food
soul food

Postby Wumpus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:52 pm

nbomb wrote:
Wumpus wrote:

i've read your posts. You like to cherry pick the evidence and refute anything you disagree with. So i'm not going to waste my time.

Keep lsitening to the medical doctors with their fancy degrees. I'm sure they will lead you to salvation.

That's rather a nasty-spirited response to an invitation to share your reasoning, especially for someone so confident in the quality of their reasoning on this topic. Even if I totally miss the point, you'd have the chance to share your reasoning with other people viewing the thread and help persuade them of Seneff's correctness -- or don't you want to do this? Remember that you aren't only claiming that she's much better at assessing glyphosate's risks than any concensus in a reasonably defined field of scientific research -- itself a tall order -- you are claiming that her claims about glyphosate are 100% accurate.

In this context, it's not unreasonable to mention her defective claims in related topics, like her ideas about vaccines, autism, and serum cholesterol. If she isn't accurate here, it suggests that her methods are also inaccurate in the topic of glyphosate and health. Besides, these topics don't seperate very well in the belief system that she presents; she uses one brand of dubious belief to support another. For example she thinks autism is caused in part by the effect of glyphosate on the availability of cholesterol sulfate in the developing fetus/infant, but a recent attempt to test her hypothesis through a more accurate chemical assay shows no statistically significant differences in plasma cholesterol sulfate between autistic and non-autistic children.

More to the point, she endorses Swanson's plot as a strong indicator of causations between glyphosate and autism. There are a number of problems with this. For one, she ignores the fact that IDEA statistics most directly measure entry into a social program, not the actual prevalence of autism. There seems to be pretty good reason to think that they are a poor measure of actual prevalence, especially with respect to timing the onset of autism, which a simple model of unlagged causation would require. But far worse, she joins Swanson in mangling the statistics, saying that "you never see correlations like that (0.99) in [unrelated data]". Really, never? There is actually a website dedicated to the idea that you can pull strong correlations in demographic time series that have no plausible relation at all.

Accusing someone of "cherry-picking" without substantiating evidence is too often the last refuge of the weak. It may sound science-y, but being so fast and loose with the charge of bias allows people to be biased themselves, hermetically sealed off from any counter-argument they find to be too uncomfortable. To really make a useful charge of cherry-picking, you need to be clear about the space from which the opponent is pulling evidence, and draw an example of the credible evidence which they fail to consider because of bias. If you were yourself interested in validating Seneff's reasoning on the possible relation between glyphosate and health, you would have looked for and considered some opposing views, at least one of which has the ingredients for a formal charge of cherry-picking against Seneff that I believe to be sufficiently legitimate.

Checking the referenced paper, tables 1 and 2, it is clear that Seneff is neglecting to pass on direct empirical evidence that glyphosate is less active on CYP enzymes than other organophosphate pesticides even when she examined the source in order to mine out the claim that organophosphate pesticides like glyphosate tend to inhibit these enzymes. The second source confirms that the IC50 level of 3.7 micromolar measured for glyphosate in the first study far exceed the levels that would be achieved in actual consumer exposure. A National Estimated Daily Intake of 0.02 mg/kg is over ten times greater than what the study actually found for pregnant women. The molecular weight of glyphosate is 169.07 g/mol. So a 100kg person would probably be getting no more than 100*0.02/1000/169.07 mol = 11.829 micromoles, and in 100kg*77/1000*55% L = 4.235 L of blood plasma, that's a plasma concentration of 2.79 micromolar, meaning that even with large estimated intakes, more than 50% activity would be left in all CYP enzymes studied, barring specific evidence for strong accumulation of glyphosate in the liver or something like that. At any rate, it is really unusual that a rigourously written article examining the potential evidence that the inhibition of P450 enzymes by glyphosate is a particularly strong cause of problems, would ignore such easily accessible evidence that out of 10 explicitly studied P450 enzymes, only one is reasonably evidenced as possibly inhibited to worrisome levels by glyphosate in the view of the authors. In particular, the study she cites finds no detectable inhibition of CPY1A2 at all, even though she waxes on about it as a plausible mechanism for the promotion of breast cancer by glyophasate in her paper.

While toxicology is a complex subject and it's hard for me to see to all its caveats, the comment section of that same blog post gives a much clearer example of how Seneff manipulates her sources. Post 12 suggests looking at reference 259 of this Seneff paper, where the authors show a possible relationship with multiple myeloma in pesticide workers, but comment that their statistical power is poor due to the low numbers of multiple myeloma cases observed in the study cohort at that time:

Certain limitations of our data hinder the inferences we can make regarding glyphosate and its association with specific cancer subtypes. Although the AHS cohort is large, and there were many participants reporting glyphosate use, the small numbers of specific cancers occurring during the follow-up period hindered precise effect estimation. In addition, most applicators were male, precluding our ability to assess the association between glyphosate exposure and cancer incidence among women, for both non-sex-specific cancers and sex-specific cancers (e.g., of the breast or ovary). Our analysis provides no information on the timing of pesticide use in relation to disease, limiting the ability to sufficiently explore latency periods or effects resulting from glyphosate exposure at different ages. Despite limitations of our study, certain inferences are possible. This prospective study of cancer incidence provided evidence of no association between glyphosate exposure and most of the cancers we studied, and a suggested association between glyphosate and the risk of multiple myeloma. Future analyses within the AHS will follow up on these findings and will examine associations between glyphosate exposure and incidence of less common cancers.

While the authors merely call for a follow-up study to detect a possible strong association as more data is uncovered, Seneff presents the study as if it uncovered a confirmed, strong, unconfounded increase in risk of multiple myeloma:

While glyphosate is not generally believed to be a carcinogen, a study on a population of professional pesticide applicators who were occupationally exposed to glyphosate revealed asubstantial increased risk to multiple myeloma [259]

Then there's the matter of her talks. I note that in this presentation at least, she tends to abandon peer-reviewed scientific references for her important claims, preferring instead to cite anti-GMO pages from the popular Web. The journal articles that she does select are often dubious on multiple grounds. For instance, her self-citation of the P450 paper, besides the flaws already mentioned, comes from Entropy, whose peer-review process is practically non-existent according to the testimony of that academic librarian who claims to have published an article with them as part of the process of investigating the journal's credibility. Her citation of gmojudycarmen's pig study also appears to be on dubious ground with respect to the credibility of its journal of publication -- and again, have you seriously looked to investigate contrary views of this study and determined that it survives the basic criticism that it failed to perform a reasonable test of statistical significance to determine whether the patterns of gut inflammation were reasonably likely to have been the result of chance? If you haven't examined these criticisms and determined them to be false, can you really claim 100% accuracy in this paper, to say nothing of actual scientific rigor? If you can't claim 100% accuracy in this paper, how can you be sure that Sennef's citation is reasonable, thoughtful, and accurate? If her citation isn't 100% accurate, then how is everything that she concludes about glyphosate 100% accurate?

Remember that you are the one who has claimed 100% accuracy for Seneff's views on glyphosate while presenting absolutely no evidence (much less, no un-cherry-picked evidence) to support that view. You are welcome to show me credible sources with contrary evidence in any threads where you think I'm "cherry-picking". I think that exchanging our reasoning is part of the process of getting around our own biases. But what you are doing so far in this thread is generally worse than cherry-picking, in my opinion. Declaring that you are 100% confident in these claims, but are unwilling to provide any evidence in support of them is the intellectual equivalent of taking your ball and playing elsewhere. Since you can ignore the discussion anyway without professing extreme confidence, and since you can't really persuade others by responding to a question with such a declaration, it makes you look like you are trying to quiet self-doubt.
Wumpus

Postby soul food » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37246

http://www.wired.com/2013/12/secret-language-of-plants/

How Plants Secretly Talk to Each Other

BY KAT MCGOWAN

But in the early 1980s, the University of Washington zoologist David Rhoades was finding evidence that plants actively defend themselves against insects. Masters of synthetic biochemistry, they manufacture and deploy chemical and other weapons that make their foliage less palatable or nutritious, so that hungry bugs go elsewhere. For Karban, this idea was a thrilling surprise — a clue that plants were capable of much more than passive endurance.

During the next decade, evidence grew. It turns out almost every green plant that’s been studied releases its own cocktail of volatile chemicals, and many species register and respond to these plumes.

maybe we should leave the pesticide production to the plants themselves.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 210104.htm

Being humble: Research shows E.B. White was right in Charlotte's Web

Hardy's analysis found two clusters of traits that people use to explain humility. Traits in the first cluster come from the social realm: Sincere, honest, unselfish, thoughtful, mature, etc. The second and more unique cluster surrounds the concept of learning: curious, bright, logical and aware.
Samuelson says the two clusters of humble traits -- the social and intellectual -- often come as a package deal for people who are "intellectually humble." Because they love learning, they spend time learning from other people.

Maybe we could learn from the plants themselves.

soul food
soul food

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:43 pm

I liked to watch animal dvds and nature dvds in the past and I learned that termites are 100% dependent on symbiotic bacteria for digestion of wood. My guess is we are also dependent on symbiotic bacteria for our health. I tend to think of myself as a colony of mostly bacteria in symbiosis with some eukaryote clone lifeforms, in short, I am mostly bacteria. Our own cells are just a cheap container for these very important bacteria. I feed my bacteria healthy unrefined starch bec. these bacteria are the most important things in the world for me. I love all bacteria and bacteria are the original life forms and are the basis of all life on earth. Bacteria are always needed for life on earth to thrive but humans are just optional.
colonyofcells

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge