Raw Vegan Diet - views please

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Raw Vegan Diet - views please

Postby Spiral » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:02 am

Coffee enemas are pure quackary.

Don't walk, but run from anyone who tries to sell you on the benefits of coffee enemas.

As for the "raw food" issue generally, Jeff Novick has pointed out in his forum that the long lived populations relied on cooked starches and very little fruit.

I wouldn't put too much stock in much of what Dr. Fuhrman says either. Go with McDougall baby. :D
Spiral

Postby theresam » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:28 pm

I've had a bit of experience with all of this in the last 25 years. I've taken macrobiotic training and even got advanced certification in raw foods. Here is what I have found. Its my own personal experience.

A 100% raw food diet is very difficult to sustain. Its difficult to get enough calories to be satiated, hence, many people, myself included, eat too many plant fats, aka nuts, seeds, nut butters and avocado, to feel satiated. That leads to weight gain and overeating.

The 80/10/10 thing sounds good, and many have a lot of great experience on it. They largely don't live in a northern climate, although some do. To stick to that people have to consume a LOT of fruit. That is neither affordable nor sustainable if you don't live near the equator. A cooked starch, low fat diet is WAY more sustainable, affordable, and IMO, way more satiating if you can't eat cases of fruit daily.

Also on colon cleansing-VITALLY NECESSARY for people who are toxic, overweight or have sluggish lymph, as well as are too acidic. Which is virtually everyone on a SAD diet and many on cooked diets, even plant based. If someone is having a hard time losing weight, I suggest a mostly raw (85%) diet with very low fat, low cooked grain (more beans or starch) and daily enemas for a couple of weeks.

If the liver is sluggish, it will not allow the body to release fat because there are toxins in the fat and a sluggish liver can not handle them. Yes, a healthy diet of course heals the body and helps it detox, but if the colon is backed up the liver will have no where to dump into.

Hospitals used to administer enemas to patients when they were admitted routinely. This enabled many to be sent home. I highly recommend enemas daily (especially at the start of a healing process/diet change) of water only-no need for coffee or anything else-as well as a seasonal raw food cleanse in the fall and spring, when the body is naturally detoxing. For people with leaky gut or other digestive issues this is a must. Don't knock it till you try it and study the science of it. Its actually really easy once you get the hang of it.
theresam

Postby Pumpkin Pete » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:54 am

This couple seem to thrive on a raw food diet which it appears is along 80/10/10 lines.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-01/melbourne-couple-complete-366...
Pumpkin Pete

Postby calvin » Thu May 21, 2015 6:28 pm

shell-belle wrote:...Coffee Enema Benefits...etc...etc...that was from:
http://www.seekinghealth.com/blog/coffee-enema-benefits
I'm late to this thread and, just so you know, i've never been more than mildly interested in enemas for myself, coffee or otherwise...but fyi, that hyperlink is no longer valid. I don't know what the bona fides if any, of the following link (in which you will see some familiar wording) are but it contains imo too much common sense to ignore. And so, at the risk of beating a dead horse, for your reading pleasure:

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/as ... ee-enemas/
calvin

Postby arugula » Thu May 21, 2015 11:27 pm

There is some evidence for raw vegetables providing greater protection from cancers compared to cooked.

Also there is reduced exposure to glycotoxins.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that cooking food accelerates aging. But there little evidence in the literature to back up my suspicions.

I read Helen Vlassara's work with great interest. She did one study on calorie-restricted mice on high AGE diets compared to ad libitum mice on low-AGE diets. The low-AGE diet mice did better.

Very few people can adhere to a low starch diet in the long term. Most people long for the feeling of fullness.

I incorporate some cooked starches. I can't say that is best, but it is considerably cheaper than an all raw produce diet.

I have no interest in enemas. If I want to be "clean" all I have to do is eat a lot of fiber from whole-food plant sources.

Still, I would like to know the optimal way, if such a thing exists. I think the raw foodists are on to something, but maybe not for the reasons they state.
arugula

Postby Jumpstart » Fri May 22, 2015 1:50 pm

Goodness, even Freelee is now doing raw only until 4:00 PM on her current program. I guess all that fruit wasn't doing it for her 24/7. She loves her starch, especially cooked taters after 4:00 PM.
Last edited by Jumpstart on Fri May 22, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumpstart

Postby Jack Monzon » Fri May 22, 2015 1:56 pm

Am not a fan.
Jack Monzon

Postby f1jim » Fri May 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Dr's used to do blood letting and tourniquet treatments. They don't anymore because they were worthless. You name the oddball medical treatment and I'll show you a line of people willing to testify to it's effectiveness. Coffee enemas have been researched. Did anyone ever look into the results? I guess the more exotic and odd the treatment the more people will gravitate to it. Maybe that's my next employment venture. I will promote the ingestion of chalk for many illnesses and charge $5,000 for each "organic" chalk session.
Remember, if you hear about it on the news it was my idea first. Hmmm, different color chalks for different diseases.....
This is why I tell people to read the Star McDougaller stories, but please read Dr. McDougalls research into his guidelines as well. The testimonies support the data. Testimonies by themself support nothing. I have a friend of an uncle that cured his.......
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Previous

Return to The Lounge