What is your WFPB Staple?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: What is your WFPB Staple?

Postby JulieS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Chimichanga wrote:I wish I could throw veggies in Oatmeal. Has anyone tried this? I don't think it will go very well.

I haven't tried it, but that is the exact reason I switched from oatmeal in the morning to rice is so that I can have veggies first off to start my day. I love it and won't go back. Psychologically, I think that knowing I have consumed 2 bowls of veggies (to 1 bowl of rice) makes me feel more nourished right from the get-go! ;-) Also, if I'm thrown a curve ball at lunch or dinner, I at least got in some veggies in the morning! I am a creature of habit, so I knew that once I started veggies in the morning I'd do it every morning. Let me know if you try oats with veggies.
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby mab56 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Brown rice is my favourite starch. I eat 2-2.6kgs daily. I tried oats with mixed vegetables/beans for a week and it was okay but it gave me really bad gas. I will nominate oats as my second favourite starch. Oats with raisins and fruit for dessert. Yum

Brown rice with vegetable stew
carrots
peas
broccoli
cauliflower
onion
green snap/fine beans
mab56

Postby eXtremE » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:59 pm

Chimichanga wrote:I wish I could throw veggies in Oatmeal. Has anyone tried this? I don't think it will go very well.
I don't think this would go well for me either. Veggies in oatmeal, :( . Somebody wrote they put salt and black pepper in theirs I think. I love oatmeal but these condiments don't sound appetizing to me.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby eXtremE » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:40 pm

JulieS wrote:I haven't tried it, but that is the exact reason I switched from oatmeal in the morning to rice is so that I can have veggies first off to start my day. I love it and won't go back. Psychologically, I think that knowing I have consumed 2 bowls of veggies (to 1 bowl of rice) makes me feel more nourished right from the get-go! ;-) Also, if I'm thrown a curve ball at lunch or dinner, I at least got in some veggies in the morning! I am a creature of habit, so I knew that once I started veggies in the morning I'd do it every morning. Let me know if you try oats with veggies.
Did you give up the oatmeal entirely Julie even tho you replaced it with rice and veggies for breakfast? I normally do not eat breakfast but I've had salads for breakfast before. Sometimes, I don't have the oatmeal for brunch but I have had oatmeal for dinner before. Usually when I have it for dinner, it is a really big bowl of it.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Katydid » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:55 pm

I've made this a time or two. It's delicious - even for breakfast.

http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/hap ... -2013.html

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby colonyofcells » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Costco just started selling sweet potato again and I was able to buy 10 lb bag of sweet potato last friday (my bag had 17 sweet potato). Friday night, I ate 4 sweet potato. I just poke some holes and microwave and eat.
colonyofcells

Postby JulieS » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:32 pm

eXtremE wrote:
Did you give up the oatmeal entirely Julie even tho you replaced it with rice and veggies for breakfast? I normally do not eat breakfast but I've had salads for breakfast before. Sometimes, I don't have the oatmeal for brunch but I have had oatmeal for dinner before. Usually when I have it for dinner, it is a really big bowl of it.[/quote]
Extreme - I never was a sweet breakfast person even before this WOE. Now, I occasionally eat oats for dessert, but that's all.
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby sweetpots » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:11 am

I'm reviving such an awesome thread! Mine is probably cornmeal. That stuff is amazing. 1.5 cups of that to 3 cups of water, cook it on medium stirring frequently for 10 minutes or so. Throw on some steamed mixed veggies and tomato sauce, ahhhh so good!

I made my tomato sauce from tomato paste and a bit of water to thin it up. Try it :)
sweetpots

Postby astronaut23 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:16 pm

beans and steel cut oats are my main starch calories now
astronaut23

Postby rijman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:20 pm

If I had to name one staple it would have to be oatmeal because I eat that almost every morning. After that I mix it up, so my 3 main staples are:

Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Potatoes

David
I may be naive.
But I still believe the truth will be revealed if enough light is shined on the subject.
Right now we are dealing with massive ignorance.

John McDougall, MD
(McDougall Discussion Board, posted 7/2/13)
rijman

Postby eXtremE » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:20 pm

I would have to say steel cut oats now too. It is my favorite meal. I had two large bowls yesterday.
eXtremE

Postby baardmk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Over the last 2 years for the starches it's been mostly(in order): rice, oats, wheat, barley, potatoes and buckwheat. Some of these I've quit, some I consider discontinuing to minimize some skin issues. I always come back to potatoes and rice.
baardmk

Postby Drew_ab » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Rice, quinoa, corn, sweet potatoes, beans, whole wheat pasta, bread...(in order of most consumed to least, but all are still regularly on the menu).

I LOVE oats and lived off them for years before realizing they give me awful gas.
Drew_ab

Postby luvegan78 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:34 am

Potatoes(including sweet),yams,corn & rice :-D :-D
luvegan78

Postby vegyluvver » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:47 am

Definitely potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Val in SoCal
Focusing on the food, not the number on the scale.
vegyluvver

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge