What is your WFPB Staple?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

What is your WFPB Staple?

Postby eXtremE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:18 pm

I got to thinking about this since I began this WOE over 2 months ago. What main food does the majority of my calories come from? I am not a huge rice fan but I do have small amounts of it (mostly whole grain brown) but not daily. My diet is a very simple one now and does not vary much. I have not 100% excluded meat. I don't have it daily and only use very small amounts when I do have it as a condiment in the manner Nathan Pritikin talked about in my favorite youTube McDougall video that he did with Pritikin.

I initially thought I was eating more potatoes than anything else. I have have a big green leafy salad daily but not many calories in that, just lots of micronutrients.

I would actually have to say my starch staple comes from beans...mostly pinto and great northern beans. Potatoes are probably a close second. I also eat an awful lot of oatmeal too.

So to answer my own question, beans are my staple. What is yours?
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Re: What is your WFPB Staple?

Postby rickfm » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Rice.

Natural, unadulterated.

I eat it every day. :mrgreen:
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby f1jim » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Brown rice.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Jordy Verrill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:05 pm

I go through phases where almost every meal is rice and steamed veggies. I'll do that for a month or two and then get on a kick where I'm eating baked, roasted or mashed potatoes for every meal. Then after a couple of months of that I'll switch back to rice.

I also have pasta or some other kind of bread from time to time, but I never get on a kick where it's my main source of food.
Jordy Verrill

Postby Veganrocks » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:24 pm

Definitely potatoes. Every lunch-- every day-- a baked potato! With veggies and/or beans on top.
Veg since 1977.
Veganrocks

Postby Wildapple » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:27 pm

I would have to say oatmeal because I eat it every day for breakfast. Lunch and dinner I vary the potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, and beans, but it's always oatmeal for breakfast. I love the stuff.
Wildapple

Postby viv » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Hi Extreme,

It's time to give up the meat. Pritikin only included meat because he thought, at that time, that more people would follow his diet if he included small amounts of lean meat.

Dr McDougall reports eating just a small amount of meat (turkey) once a year on Thanksgiving.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby eXtremE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:00 pm

Yeah, I am not quite there Viv but thanks for the concern. Pritikin was also doing it personally to get his B12 and I personally hate taking any kind of supplements. I usually have bad reactions to all of them b/c of a mental health disorder I have. I have not decided if I will give up tiny portions of meat yet. I may but I am not there yet. You probably don't know what I mean by tiny. Take a small flounder and bake it. I would cut it up into seven tiny pieces and eat one piece every other day. It is used as a condiment much as you might use a little table sugar in your oatmeal. I am not doing the Pritikin diet. I am probably 95% McDougall and the other 5% does come from Furhman, Ornish, and Pritikin. It is just a personal choice that I have made for myself currently but I have not ruled out future adjustments and tweaks. I may be taking a taking a tiny risk but I am a little bit of a risk taker. What i am doing right now is easily sustainable for the rest of my life. What I really want is to view my next lipid panel. This should tell me how well I am doing.

Mcdougll has said also he is an all or nothing guy. I am the complete opposite. If you tell me that x amount of a certain thing is good for me or will not harm me, I will then do exactly only x amount of that thing even if it is something I would like to do more off. That is how my mind works. Same with alcohol. Some ppl view it as a slippery slope but I don't ever have to worry about it becoming a slippery slope b/c of my psychological makeup. The only thing I really have ever overdone in my life is exercise and over exercising is not even an issue for me anymore.

*What is your staple btw?
Last edited by eXtremE on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby Quinda » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Baked Potato

Every day. No matter what. Never tire of them.
Quinda

Postby pinkrose » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:16 pm

Rice is nice! :nod:
pinkrose

Postby ajhondrngal » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:56 pm

eXtremE wrote:So to answer my own question, beans are my staple. What is yours?

Rice...white and brown, with black beans as a close second.

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby JulieS » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:12 pm

Lundberg Farms Organic Basmati Brown Rice! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
LOST 55 POUNDS! From pant size 14 to size 4, BMI:21
JulieS

Postby JosephJac » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Beans
Pumpernickel bread- I like French meadow Bakery or Mestemacher.
Corn

A favorite of mine is Succotash- Corn and lima beans with some salsa on top. Pumpernickel i eat with sliced fruit, after it's toasted.
JosephJac

Postby Lentil » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:24 pm

Oatmeal. I usually have it at least twice a day, often more if I'm lazy about bringing food to work (I always keep a good supply of oats at the office).
Lentil

Postby eXtremE » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Boy, lots of people are sure into the rice. My mother and the rest of my family still eat SAD but a large plate of white rice is always there on the dinner plate with the other things that are not so good for you. Most ppl eat lots of rice with their home cooked meals. The rice is ok. It is the rest of the stuff on the rice that is making them sick, LOL!

Lentil said>>>Oatmeal. I usually have it at least twice a day, often more if I'm lazy about bringing food to work (I always keep a good supply of oats at the office).
I hear you on the oatmeal. Quick and easy and cheap. I eat usually only twice a day and sometimes i will eat oatmeal for both brunch and dinner. :-)
eXtremE

Next

Return to The Lounge