I feel best when I eat potatoes.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

I feel best when I eat potatoes.

Postby ChrisInIL » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:02 pm

Monday I will have been on this way of eating for one month. I'm quickly losing weight for the first time in years, despite being a consistent runner and weight trainer. Overall, my wife and I are both very happy with it. We've stuck to the program completely.

I've tried many different starches over this past month, but time and again I notice that the days I eat potatoes I feel by far my best. I've had a few days where I've felt kind of tired and weak, and other days where I've felt incredible (I ran 10 miles Thursday morning, on one of my extra good days) and the correlation is 100 percent with potatoes!

I love trying different foods, and my wife is a big fan of brown rice, so we have that quite a bit. I had couscous last night with vegetables including sweet potatoes, a Moroccan recipe, and it tasted fantastic. But I had another episode of feeling very weak and tired afterwards.

But not on the days I eat white potatoes. I notice that large salads have a short energizing effect, but if I want to feel good for a large portion of my day, so far it's only potatoes that make me feel energetic mentally and physically. I can feel full from eating other things, and I eat a lot of fruit, but I don't get that positive energetic effect from them like I do potatoes. Rice, whole wheat bread, soups with barley, etc. Often I feel tired and weak for a while after eating them.

Anyone else feel this way about potatoes or have a particular food that makes them feel best?
ChrisInIL

Re: I feel best when I eat potatoes.

Postby ParsleyPatch » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:13 pm

I keep coming back to potatoes, too, often craving them over every other starch. Now that you've mentioned this, I'm going to start noticing how I feel on all-potato days versus other starch days. I know I love them and feel great right after eating them, but I've never stopped to think about the all-day effect they may have! :D
One who is forever grateful to Dr. McDougall for showing me the way to optimal health!
ParsleyPatch

Postby eXtremE » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:15 pm

I feel the same way about potatoes. I am new just like you to this new world of WFPBNO. I am not new to the world of health and fitness but I am new to this world of healthy eating. I have only been on the diet for a month like you ChrisInIL. I now have more energy, no more constipation, no more problems with hemorrhoids, and I am off my prilosec since GERD/LPR has become a non-issue. I do have some mental health issues, but not sure if the diet will impact those or not. I suffer with severe anxiety and panic attacks. I have not had any panic attacks since I have been on the diet and my anxiety level has quieted down considerably. I can't wait to see how I feel after I have been eating like this for 6 months.

Back to the potato...I eat them daily and I never tire of eating them. When I throw in the beans and a little bit of whole grain brown rice, I feel as if I am close to eating meat in a weird sense. I know I won't ever tire of eating like this b/c I enjoy the food so much and how much better I feel. I never want to go back to feeling how I was, even though I was lean and doing nearly an hour of cardio each day and 1.5-2 hours of weight training at the local fitness center every other day. I have always been fit on the outside but now I am starting to finally feel healthy on the inside and that is what matters the most. Image
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby dinska » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:29 pm

I feel the same about potatoes, but I think it has to do with the fact that I can put away more potatoes than rice, sweet potatoes, corn and thus get more fuel to work with. Either way, I'm glad to have it!
dinska

Postby Potatohead » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:33 pm

POTATOES are my main starch and have been for more than 17 years, sometimes my meals are just potatoes with a bit of lemon pepper. I eat between 15-20 lbs a week by myself...I always feel best eating my taters :D :nod: :unibrow:
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Acura » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:12 pm

Is there any perticular type of Potatoes that gives you more energy?
CC
Acura

Postby awest27 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:38 pm

As they are blasted by low-carbers, I think white potatoes might possibly provide a little "sugar rush" to lift your spirits. But they also provide quality nutrients that leave your body satisfied and not "crashing" or craving something better a few hours later. Whenever I eat my microwaved potatoes cut into wedges, my cats come around for a bite. They have grown to be quite the pests for this little treat. They seem to know a good food when they find one.
awest27

Postby Bente Marie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:57 pm

eXtremE wrote: and I am off my prilosec since GERD/LPR has become a non-issue.

Hi, I am new, I follow Dr.McDougal - almost one month now - I have LPR and I must say you have encouraged me. You are the only one I have seen in here, who has actually reversed LPR. I was beginning to feel a bit down and thinking, that I would never get free of that. Can I ask you how long it took for you on WFPBNO, no acid and no spices? Only a month?
My doctor gave me Pantoprazol, but I don't really want to eat them.
I just read somewhere, that onions, garlic and peppermint has relaxing effect on the sphincter muscles in the esophagus.
In my country (Denmark) one cannot buy acid neutralizing chewable tablets without peppermint. Not to mention they put it in my toothpaste too :( And guess what is in my favorit herbal tea :? Are you able to eat onions and garlic again? How about spices? :roll:
Thank you so much.
Bente
Bente Marie

Postby Hal » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Potatoes are best. Even old ones with marks and wandering eyes, but fresh potatoes, not over cooked are perfection mashed with vegetables of choice mixed in. I use black beans and importantly the liquid (no salt added) to give the mashed potatoes the perfect consistency while adding a savory element. :)
Hal

Postby figlover » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:03 pm

Big starchy Russet with a slab of avocado and a small bucket of steamed broccoli. My Death Row final meal. :crybaby:

I’m consider adding a Cliff Bar.
I forum here cause I have no where else to go.
figlover

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:07 pm

Did you notice that the original post is from 2013?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby figlover » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Can we still answer?
figlover

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:31 pm

Of course! It looks like the OP last signed on in July 2019. I just wanted you to have a heads up that the conversation was not recent.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby viv » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:30 pm

....and the message wears well!
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby figlover » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:31 pm

LOL I was being tongue-in-cheek. We all know there is no time limit on talking about taters.
figlover

Next

Return to The Lounge