McDougallers in Canada

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougallers in Canada

Postby MGM » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:15 am

I am sure there are a lot of McDougallers in Canada (I am one!) and I thought that perhaps we could start an index for topics that relate to us. For example: we don't have Trader's Joe and from what I have read here it looks like the grocery department at Walmart is a lot different in the USA than Canada. So, perhaps we could give tips on where to find, where to go, good restaurants and so on for Canada.

So, in Ottawa, Ontario I know of two health food stores: the Food Pantry and Rainbow Foods. In Perth, Ontario there is Foodsmith. Are there any other places I don't know about?

Restaurants in Ottawa: Green Door and The Table (Yum! not relly low fat but healthy nonetheless).

Feel free to add any information.

Cheers,
Carpe Diem

MGM

Postby hope101 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Hi, MGM. I'm afraid I won't be much help to you as I am in Edmonton, Alberta. If you ever come out this way, however, I can point you toward a few places. :D

We have a Planet Organic here where I have found most of the more unusual ingredients I cook with (tempeh, Ribz, etc.) Surprisingly, some of the easier places I found to eat are the little restaurants at gas stations. They often have hashbrowns, salads, toast and juice. I have two kids so finding basic foods like that have been a godsend to me.
hope101

Postby Nekkotronik » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Hi MGM, Hi hope101!

I'm from Edmonton, Alberta as well and would LOVE trade secrets with you hope!

I shop at Planet Organic (or PO as we call it at our house). If you know of any good restaurants, I would love the info. I know Organic Roots by the University is organic (not necessarily vegan) and is quite good. We've been limping along by ordering veggie burgers and salads from our regular restaurants.

There's a famed veggie house in Chinatown, but I forget the name and I can't find it. Have you heard of it?

Let's keep in touch guys!
Nekkotronik

Postby chewy » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:11 am

I live in Vancouver BC where we've got Whole Foods,Capers and Choices Markets-all stores with a great selection of Mcdougall approved foods. I actually work at one of these stores and get a super discount of 30% on all my groceries.I know there in a Whole Foods in Toronto.
chewy

Postby Della Street » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:29 am

I live 45 minutes away from Newmarket Ontario, where we discovered a wonderful health food store and cafeteria called Nature's Emporium. The store is huge and well stocked with fresh organic produce, bulk items (rices, grains, nuts, dried beans, etc) and all sorts of packaged foods. Not all of it is McDougall friendly, but plenty of it is.

The cafeteria is mostly vegan - usually you might find one item that has a bit of animal product in it. The only drawback is that they do use some oil in some of the prepared foods. But as an occasional treat whenever we're in the area, we have to stop by there because the food is so delicious. I've never been to any restaurant that serves up food that looks as good as what is served at Nature's Emporium.

And I get ideas for meals to make at home. For instance, the last time I ordered a kale salad which as the name suggests, included lots of fresh, raw, shredded kale. I always thought you had to cook kale, that it was too tough to eat raw. Not so.
Della Street
http://cotton-picker.blogspot.com
http://cottonpickercooking.blogspot.com
Della Street

Postby Karen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:21 am

...that's why hubby and I always find a Trader Joe's when we head to the States.

We do hit a T&T asian supermarket from time to time (Markham, Calgary), but like most asian markets, many items are grossly mislabeled. I found a "vegetarian" fake crab meat once, but when we got it home, it was indeed full of fish and fish juice. The label claimed it was only soy and water and oil, but it was clear that it was not that.

We've found the Loblaw section (and the Great Canadian SuperStore in Ajax) pretty good for some of the stuff I like.

We recently found Ryza, which is a Rice Milk http://www.ryza.ca/ made from brown rice and water, pretty much. Our Loblaws in Pickering stocks it only in the "health food" section, not with the other milks and soymilks. None of the gross out levels of fillers, vanilla and sugars that soymilk has. It even has fibre. I found that it has a bit of a bitter after taste, though, so I'm working on how to over come that. Adding fresh fruit or a bit of sugar seems to help, but most of the time I just try not to the think about it.

I also find that No Frills has the best deals on large bags of brown rice, beans, lentils, and such.

And we shop at Bulk Barn for things like dried beans, spices, etc.

Costco has a nice wild rice/red rice/brown rice blend in a square plastic container. It's mildly expensive, but convenient. We love reusing the square container to hold our beans and rices -- maximum space efficiency in our cupboards.

Finally, we shop at a lot of small, local Indian stores for ideas and variety.

Since we stopped buying isolated soy stuff, we've almost completely given up schlepping Boca and Morning Star Farms stuff back over the border. We do occasionally indulge in Yves' "skewers" (we don't know what they actually call them". I find they are the tastiest veggie meat product (mostly gluten-based) I've ever had.

We used to go once a year to a Vegetarian Chinese place in Markham - Lotus Pond, maybe, but there's almost no English spoken there and it is heavy on isolated soy protein (what they call vegetable fibre) products and tonnes of fat. Just haven't made it back.

Have made a trip or two to Whole Foods, but I find that they don't really carry anything special in Canada. In the States, that's a whole other story.

Love the tips, keep them coming.
Karen

Postby hope101 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:36 am

Well, hi, Nekkotronik. That is so cook you are from my city. I have tried both the Oriental Veggie House and Padame. My kids liked them because both places make pretty decent fake drumsticks, but I am sure there is isolated soy protein in them and they were deepfried. To be honest, I found both of their foods to be so high in fat I didn't really enjoy it and we haven't been back to either. However, they are definitely places one could take a SAD eater to impress them with the potential for vegetarian food. And places that would be fine for the very occasional feast food. I may be selling them short because the first time we went I wasn't explicit enough about wanting low fat. Perhaps if I had been more assertive it would have worked well.

Have you joined the local Vegetarian Society of Alberta? It is a great place to learn about local resources like restaurants, organic produce. They have a library you can borrow from if you become a member that has most of Dr. McDougall's stuff and a lot of other great books. Even if you don't want to join or come to the monthly potlucks I enjoy their newletters. Check out their website, if you haven't already. PM me anytime if you wish.
hope101

Postby Carol » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:29 pm

MGM,

Not to derail your thread, but do you happen to be a fellow "Curling" competitor??? Ottawa is a georgeous city. Had a great time there last year.
Carol

Postby MGM » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:52 pm

This is so cool.... tips and ideas from all of you!!!

Carol, no I am not a curling competitor. You are right, Ottawa is beautiful. Am originally from Montreal, but I think I am here to stay...

Thanks for all of your replies.
Carpe Diem

MGM

Re: McDougallers in Canada

Postby Taggart » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 am

Hi,

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but it seems to apply at least partially to what I'm looking for.

I'm not on any plant based diet, but mostly just lurk here for the last few years because occasionally I get a gem of information that I can incorporate into my own way of eating.

So far, I've only found a couple of Canadian blogs who are plant based but I do find them interesting:

Low Fat Vegan Chef

Potato Strong

If anyone knows of any other similar blogs in Canada, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Taggart

Postby f1jim » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 am

The information for our Canadian members tends to get sprinkled into the regular threads but not in any organized fashion.
I do hope our members North of us will not hesitate to provide some Canadian "flavor" when it's needed. When someone posts something that would benefit from a Canadian perspective we hope they will jump in and provide it.

Canada, like the US, is a very large area and the regions differ widely in the availability of McDougall compliant items. If you do jump in please note your Canadian region. If you are so inclined I encourage members everywhere to denote your region in your personal profile so others can see just how widespread the McDougall message is. It's also nice to see others around us that follow the program. Sometimes it can seem like we are following this program all alone.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Dougalling » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 am

Hi

Here is my two cents worth of wisdom :wink:

I'm in the prairies. I shop for most of my food at the local grocers but get some bread from a bakery and my tortillas from an East Indian/mixed nations grocer. I am gluten free and have found a shop that specializes in gluten free products. I get my quick cooking oats from them.

For convenience foods I fill up my freezer. I find that I can cook in bulk: soups - stews - stir fries - 'burger' patties (that I also shape in balls and strips and slices to used in various dishes) - pizza - casseroles - pastas. The food I cook tastes better and is more varied than any I can buy anywhere. The time it would take me to go to various shops to find convenience foods is time I use to cook and fill my freezer. I prefer a stand-up freezer as I don't have to dig into a box looking for items. Everything is nice and neat on shelving.
There are farmers co-ops all over the country. Find one near you and join them. Fill your freezer with local produce.

When I go to a restaurant, it is for the company of my friends. I aim for the salad bar and/or steamed veggies.
I will check the restaurants menu before I go and, if necessary, will eat before going then just graze on a salad when I am there.
Dougalling

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:39 am

Taggart wrote:Hi,

Sorry to dig up this old thread, but it seems to apply at least partially to what I'm looking for.

I'm not on any plant based diet, but mostly just lurk here for the last few years because occasionally I get a gem of information that I can incorporate into my own way of eating.

So far, I've only found a couple of Canadian blogs who are plant based but I do find them interesting:

Low Fat Vegan Chef

Potato Strong

If anyone knows of any other similar blogs in Canada, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

I believe Bryanna Clark Grogan is in British Columbia (Denman Island?). Her blog http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.ca/ Her author page at Amazon w/info on her credits http://www.amazon.com/Bryanna-Clark-Gro ... sr=1-2-ent She appeared at McDougall celebrity chef weekend, and she compiled recipes for Dr Barnard's book for reducing diabetes. Bryanna has a wide variety of recipes, some more McDougall-friendly than others. (By that I would mean oil content. Her recipes are generally lowfat vegan, but they're not always necessarily oil-free.)

Vegandad is also in Canada. Not sure where. His focus is vegan, not low fat. He has a lot of baked goods on his blog. http://vegandad.blogspot.com/ There are some oil-free recipes, but you might have to really dig for them. Here's one http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/08/me ... lling.html

I don't know that either of these are necessarily similar to the two linked--other than they're vegan (animal product free) and Canadian. You weren't terribly specific as to exactly what you were looking for, other than perhaps "plantbased."
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Taggart » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:33 am

Who'd of thought? Been looking for a while now for raisins containing "no oil". Just about everything I looked at in various stores had some sort of oil in their raisins. Turned out the oil free version was a big brand name I've seen since I was a kid. Sun-Maid Raisins.

Ingredients: California Raisins

That's all. Nothing else.

Fat 0g

Saturated 0g

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now the hunt is on for dried cranberries (without the oil). So far, no luck.
Taggart

Postby judynew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks for that little gem about the raisins. Who knew? I also have been looking for oil free cranberries without luck.

I am in Scarborough and we are blessed in Toronto with so many ethnic stores and also so many ethnic groups shopping in regular grocery stores. It is getting easier and easier to find things. Dr Greger suggested looking in Asian stores for goji berries, for example and, sure enough, they are so much cheaper there.

Whenever possible I buy organic produce in my regular grocery store to encourage them to stock more. Recently I noticed that my No Frills no longer had their organic section and, when I asked the produce manager, he said that they had lost $6000 in a couple of months because people were replacing the organic stickers with regular stickers and only paying regular price for the food. Understandably the store could not sustain such losses so now they only have organic bananas and carrots because they are difficult to switch.
judynew

Next

Return to The Lounge