McDougallers in Canada

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: McDougallers in Canada

Postby Taggart » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:31 pm

Werner1950 wrote:
For eating out, and for shopping. Even at our regular grocery chains. Although I don't buy organic. I daily walk by Asian vendors that are loaded with produce of all kinds. They are generally much cheaper than your grocery stores.

Ahhh yes. My wife loves to shop at the Asian grocery stores. When I shop alone, I usually end up in either Loblaws or Metro.
Taggart

Postby greentea » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Dougalling wrote:FOK will offer online WFPB cooking classes via Rouxbe cooking school.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/forks-ov ... d-cooking/

Cool! Thanks for posting that link!

Dougalling wrote:Tall Grass Prairie Bread Co. in Winterpeg makes this wonderful bread

" Light Sourdough Rye Bread (Oil free!): Organic unbleached Manitoba white flour (wheat), stone-ground whole rye flour from organic Manitoba grains, stone-ground whole wheat flour from organic Manitoba grains, water, rye sour, caraway seed, sea salt, yeast, ascorbic acid derived from organic citrus fruit. Vegan No added sugars, mollases, honey No added oil "

I remember you posting a question for a bread machine recipe similar to this. Did you ever find one?
greentea

Postby Taggart » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:44 am

P.F. Chang’s files for bankruptcy protection as U.S. eatery loses way in ‘ethnically diverse’ Canada

Only mention it because this is one of the few chain restaurants where the Americans on this discussion board say that they can get a meal with steamed veggies, brown rice with no added oil. The Buddha's Feast was most often mentioned.

There are only three branches in Canada, one in Toronto and two in Quebec. The closest one near me, was way over on the other side of Toronto, so way too far to travel just for a meal from where I live.
Taggart

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:57 pm

All McDougallers in Toronto and vicinity!
PlantPure Nation is showing this coming Sunday at 2 P.M. at the Scotia Bank Theatre on Richmond. After the screening, there is a Q&A with Dr Colin Campbell and son! I will be there. This will be the only screening in Canada, I think.

SYNOPSIS

The documentary film PlantPure Nation tells the story of three people on a quest to spread the message of one of the most important health breakthroughs of all time. When nutritional scientist and author T. Colin Campbell inspires Kentucky State Representative Tom Riner to propose a pilot program documenting the health benefits of a plant-based diet, they inadvertently set in motion a series of events that expose powerful forces opposed to the diet. When industry lobbyists kill the pilot program, Dr. Campbell’s oldest son Nelson decides to try his own grassroots approach in his hometown of Mebane, North Carolina. After the film a special Q&A with filmmaker Nelson Campbell and his father, NY Times best selling author of ‘The China Study’ Dr. T. Colin Campbell.

http://www.cineplex.com/Movie/plantpure-nation
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby Taggart » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:28 pm

Got Milked? author says we're victims of a dairy deception

Milk does a body good -- or at least at least that's what we have long been led to believe. But a new book argues that milk is not quite the superfood many of us may think.

In her book "Got Milked?” author Alissa Hamilton argues that many of us have been pulled into what she calls the great dairy deception: the belief that milk is critical for bone and dental health, and an essential part of a healthy diet.
Taggart

Postby Taggart » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:40 pm

I was just looking at the menu for the state dinner that President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle are hosting for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie. Anyone see anything healthy on there because I don't?
Taggart

Postby Taggart » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:21 am

Ontario-grown potato has special appeal for diabetics

Lois Abraham, The Canadian Press

Published Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:36AM EDT

TORONTO -- People who avoid potatoes to reduce their carb intake can now try a new Ontario-grown variety that's touted to have a lower glycemic response, meaning it doesn't cause the rapid spike in blood sugar that normally comes from eating carbohydrate-rich foods.

While controlling blood sugar is important for those with diabetes or at risk of developing the disease, there's a health benefit for everyone, says Joanne Lewis, director of nutrition and diabetes education with the Canadian Diabetes Association in Toronto.

The new Carisma potato, which is being grown in Waterdown, Ont., north of Hamilton, will be available in limited quantities in select stores in Ontario this fall, says EarthFresh Farms, the grower and distributor of the spud.
Taggart

Postby Taggart » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:43 pm

I've known about cardiologist Dr. Shane Williams in Bracebrdge, Ontario, just north of Toronto, for at least a couple of years, but thanks to a recent post on Facebook by Dr. John McDougall, here's another couple of WFPB medical doctors in Canada:

Dr. Arjun Rayapudi working as a General Surgeon and Endoscopist at Burin Peninsula Health Care Center, located in beautiful rural Newfoundland, Canada and his wife Dr. Shobha Rayapudi, a physician, epidemiologist, researcher, and a clinical trialist.

Uplifting video from Dr. Arjun Rayapudi about his dad, and how he was able to reverse his diabetes and heart disease with foods that love us back.
Taggart

Postby amandamechele » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks for the info Taggart!
amandamechele

Postby Taggart » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:56 pm

Taggart wrote:I've known about cardiologist Dr. Shane Williams in Bracebrdge, Ontario, just north of Toronto, for at least a couple of years, but thanks to a recent post on Facebook by Dr. John McDougall, here's another couple of WFPB medical doctors in Canada:

Dr. Arjun Rayapudi working as a General Surgeon and Endoscopist at Burin Peninsula Health Care Center, located in beautiful rural Newfoundland, Canada and his wife Dr. Shobha Rayapudi, a physician, epidemiologist, researcher, and a clinical trialist.

Uplifting video from Dr. Arjun Rayapudi about his dad, and how he was able to reverse his diabetes and heart disease with foods that love us back.

I'm always on the lookout for medical doctors across Canada who promote a whole foods plant based lifestyle. Here's another one.

Dr. Wendy Ross - She is the Lead Physician of the cancer clinic in Penticton BC.

Plant-based Nutrition Certificate - eCornell - T Colin Campbell Centre for Nutrition Studies
Taggart

Postby Taggart » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:14 pm

St. Albert, Alberta

Journey to a plant-based diet

For more than 30 years Yvonne Smith has been on a path experimenting and discovering healthier ways of eating.
Still on that journey, Smith has come to embrace a whole-food, plant-based diet free of unprocessed goodies. For her the evil trinity of food is oils, dairy and meat.

At the same time, she floods her system with healthy nutrients from eating large amounts of unprocessed grains (buckwheat, oats, quinoa, bulgur), vegetables, fruits, seeds and nuts.

Many would consider this a radical dietary departure. For Smith, it is a healing experience that prevented a downward slide of health issues, and she is eager to share her successes with others.
Taggart

Postby Taggart » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Taggart

Postby americaninca46 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:20 am

Hi, I am from Saskatchewan. I am in a Northern small town. Not many choices here for WFPB. I do not cook much. I live on a well rounded veggie soup and lots of beans, rice, and grains. Also fruits and raw veggies.
The only place that I dine out is Freshii's . Would enjoy connecting with someone from my province. None of my friends eat healthy.
Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Werner1950 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:11 pm

I think an evenmore helpful index would be a list of WFPB supportive doctors.
I am moving from Toronto to Sault Ste Marie at the end of this week, and our choices up there are very limited.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby Michele613 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi guys,

Just reading other posts...I am not even near Canada but my team leader apparently lives in Canada: amandamechele

She has been involved in MWL program or at least a member for several years as well. Maybe you could send her a PM and direct her to this thread.

Good luck.
Michele613

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge